Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old January 11th, 2007, 10:07 PM

Tabby Stuck in Dog Door

Wow is this cat big.
http://www.cnn.com/video/player/play....cat.kgw&wm=10
Old January 12th, 2007, 03:10 PM
Hunter & Bogart's daddy

WoW, that is amazing. But Goliath is adorable though...it's all that chubbiness
Old January 12th, 2007, 04:09 PM

UPDATE:Reunited with owner

PORTLAND, Ore. - A 20-pound stray cat whose girth got him stuck in a pet door while trying to plunder some dog food was reunited with his owner Thursday.

Owner Geoff Ernest said the tubby tabby Hercules (called Goliath while at the animal shelter) went missing while Ernest was in Seattle for a lung transplant six months ago.

Jadwiga Drozdek, who lives in suburban Portland, found the feline stuck in the dog door of her home a few days ago, helped free him and gave him a plate of food on her patio.

While at the Humane Society, Hercules was diagnosed with Feline Immunodeficiency Virus, similar to HIV in humans.

The society says cats can live years with the virus and still make good pets, but owners should keep them indoors to keep it from spreading.

Veterinarians say about 40 percent of America’s cats are obese, putting them at risk for a variety of diabetes-related disorders.

Hercules, meanwhile, has had his 15 minutes of fame, piling up stacks of hits on YouTube and other Web sites.
Old January 12th, 2007, 05:18 PM
Senior Contributor

Looking at his body,he does not seem all that obese,fat yes,but I've seen fatter cats.
His face is humangus,I wonder why?? All the fat went to his head??I wish mine would
Jokes apart,I think he looks sad and uncomfortable:sad:
Old January 12th, 2007, 06:29 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Poor guy, he looks so cute though, and I'm glad he;s back home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
Looking at his body,he does not seem all that obese,fat yes,but I've seen fatter cats.
His face is humangus,I wonder why?? All the fat went to his head??I wish mine would
Jokes apart,I think he looks sad and uncomfortable:sad:
Unaltered males get bigger heads when they mature.
I noticed it at our trailer park, even the skinny ones would have these massive heads, I guess it makes them look bigger to other males

I hope Frenchy doesn't see the one

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old January 12th, 2007, 10:25 PM
Senior Contributor

I saw or heard on the news that he was home again - and on a diet!! I once had neighbours with a 32 lb kitty but no dog door! And like many ppl at that time (say 15 yrs ago), they thought that it was kinda funny. They were wonderful ppl, good to their cat - just did not realize he needed to be on a diet!

I am glad this one is home. Smart kitty tho - to find the door and keep his weight up while lost!! Most enterprising I'd say! 9Thank goodness it was a happy ending). It did show him being able to jump from the floor up to the "cage" the SPCA or org similar to that had him in when they were searching for either his family or a home and it was quite high up so he was in pretty good shape for an obese kitty. So that was good news at least!