Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 1st, 2008, 11:10 AM

Introducing New Kitten to 14-year-old Cat

I just bought a Birman kitten today and I am worried about introducting her to my older cat Mama, who's 14 years old. Her daughter, Sabrina died about 2 years ago and she has been the only cat for a while. Can anyone please help me? Also, I can make sure Mama won't get any disease from the kitten? I planned on placing the kitten's cage in my brother's room and separate them totally for 2 weeks then introduce Mama to her slowly. Is this appropriate? Thanks.

Samantha/BB (11-month-old ~~ Born on Oct 9, 2007)

Mama (17-year-old) - passed away
Sabrina (11 year-old) - passed away on Feb 7, 2006
Meow Meow (8 year-old) - passed away on May 15

My nephew:
Bor Bor (6 year-old puppy)
Old January 1st, 2008, 11:36 AM
Senior Contributor

Mama won't get any disease from the kitten if she is vaccinated already, maybe a cold and worms, that's all (treatable, and deworming is something we do regularly anyway, right?)

How to introduce the kitten ... good question. You could try the carrier-approach first, letting Mama smell the new little one through the grilled door. SInce it's a kitten we're talking about, although she may hiss at him/her? in the beginning, mostly an adult will never hurt a baby.

I would let the kitten lose to explore and be seen, under supervision, and kept to sleep in a separate room when no one can watch them (night, work).

Every cat reacts differently, you'll have to see what happens, and we can more easily advise based on that.

One thing you absolutely MUST do before anything else, is to
1 - post a picture of Mama (at least 1)
2 - post a picture of the kitten (again, at least 1)
3 - post a picture of the two of them together when they meet.
Old January 1st, 2008, 11:57 AM

Haha...I promise I will once I pick up my Samatha. She will be coming back tomorrow after a visit to the vet. So do you mean I don't have to worry about FIV, distemple or something? I am so worried Mama might get sick because of the new kitten...

My nephew:
Old January 1st, 2008, 12:14 PM
Senior Contributor

I would imagine you have given Mama all her shots regualrly, and both FIV and distemper is included in those (as far as I know, in France I know for sure, probably here too) and since Samantha is a pure-bred kitten (Birman, I'm guessing from a breeder?) there is little chance she has FIV and probably not distemper either. If you got her from a shelter, there's no telling what she may have picked up from other (sometimes feral) cats there, but the chances are still very slim. Especially with FIV the virus is not airborn, and the shelters keep the cats separated so no wound/saliva/blood should have been exchanged at all.
Old January 1st, 2008, 04:06 PM
Senior Contributor

Here's a good overview of cat introductions, from this website: http://www.catsinternational.org/art...roduction.html

Quote:
The Importance of a Good Introduction

Planning to add a cat to your household? The introduction process is all-important. First impressions can be lasting impressions for felines. In the wild cats take great care to prevent chance encounters with other cats through scent-marking behaviors. By "reading" the marked areas, cats can tell who was there last and at what time he visited the spot. The territory can then be used by different cats at different times of the day--the feline version of time-sharing. In order to get your cat used to the idea of sharing the home turf with another feline, a gradual introduction is essential.

Time and patience are the keys to successfully introducing a new cat into the household. The new cat should have a room of his own for a few days. Exchange the new cat's bedding with that of the resident cat so that they can become acquainted with each other through the all-important sense of smell before they have the opportunity to see each other. Next, rotate rooms. Let the new cat explore the rest of the house while the resident cat spends some time in the new cat's room. When they are relaxed about this step, crack the door of the new cat's room so that they can see each other, but can't push the door open. Give the cats treats on both sides of the door. Two small toys joined with a several inches of string and slipped under the door will encourage parallel play. When the cats are calm in each other's presence, it is time to let the new cat out for a few minutes. The length of the visits can be increased gradually each day. This process may take a few days or a few months depending on the personalities of the cats. Usually it takes less time when one of the cats is under four months of age.

Throughout the introduction process, speak quietly and calmly to the cats. Praise them generously when they are tolerant of each other's presence. Never scold or use harsh tones when they are together or they will associate unpleasantness with being near each other. Give special attention to the resident cat as it is this cat's territory that is being invaded and it is this old friend who is likely to need the most reassurance. Until they become friends, give the new cat loving attention only when the resident cat is not around.

If at any time the cats become fearful or hostile, return the newcomer to its room and close the door. A minor setback will not ruin the budding friendship, but a fiercely aggressive encounter will be remembered for a long time and should be avoided at all costs. Whenever you run into a problem, back up to a previous stage of the process and then move carefully forward again. Only you can determine the pace of the introduction process. The time you spend gradually habituating your cats will eventually be rewarded with years of harmonious feline companionship.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old January 1st, 2008, 05:00 PM
Senior Contributor

VCheng,welcome back!!
We absolutely have to see pics of your new kitten and mama.
I did not know that Sabrina had died,sorry to hear that.:sad:
Introducing a kitten to a mature cat,is usually not difficult.
Just make sure,like Sarah said,when you are not at home to supervise,the kitten has his own safe space.
Don't forget,once you get her/him,pics are a must
Old January 3rd, 2008, 10:55 AM

I am currently suffering from a serious flu, I am wondering if it's possible for her to get that from me? Also, I found that she was sneezing and coughing today, I already turned on the heater for her but it doesn't seem to work. Also, when does she like to sleep on her litter box? I gave her a towel and I am using the same kind of cat litter as the pet shop. When does she do that? Thanks so much.

My nephew:
Old January 3rd, 2008, 04:35 PM
Senior Contributor

VCheng,I am not sure what you mean by"when does she sleep on the litterbox"?
If she does sleep in the litter-box,it's probably something she got used to from wherever she was before you.
If you have a bed for her,show her how nice and soft a bed is,move her to the bed and she will eventually stop sleeping in the litter.
Hope you get better soon,the kitten could have a cold or infection too,if she does not get better,she'll need some antibotics.
Old January 7th, 2008, 10:48 AM

She has a pet bed in the pet shop with her brother. However she doesn't seem to understand that towel is for sleeping and litter box is for peeing and poohing only. Now when I remove the towel she will lie on the newspaper I used to line the bottom of the cage and pooh in the litter box. Unfortunately the cage I got her was fairly small so I couldn't provide her with a normal size litter box. I made her one that slightly larger than her body. The cage is approximately 2 1/2 size of the litter box I gave her. Also, I have to keep her in the cage when no one can keep a close eye on her because she likes to crawl inside the computer and bite wires!!!! Also, because I have another cat and a dog (they stay in different part of the house). I just don't know what to do..thanks...

[IMG]C:\Documents and Settings\Valerie Cheng\My Documents\My Pictures\Pets\Samantha (BB)\P1000366.JPG[/IMG]

My nephew:

Last edited by vcheng79; January 7th, 2008 at 11:03 AM.
Old January 7th, 2008, 12:08 PM
Senior Contributor

I've often seen kittens in pet shops lying in their litter box, even if they have a bed. I think they like the texture.

Her sneeziness won't go away because you turned on the heater, it's probably a little cold. If her eyes swell up or start to run or she loses interest in her food, then to the vet for sure. But it won't necessarily happen, she will probably recover in a few days, just like a human with a cold. Definitely keep her warm and try some fishy food for its strong smell.

You have to get her out of that crate, though. Can't she have her own room, temporarily? Kittens need to move about; for them, being confined by themselves is stressful and may even be causing some of the behaviours you describe. So kitten-proof your room and let her roam around, leaving the crate open for naps.

Then when she is completely well again and a bit more confident, start introducing her to the other cat, making sure she doesn't bug her too much. If the older cat hisses, or runs away, that's normal at the beginning; she's showing the kitten what she will put up with and where are the limits. Give the kitten lots of playtime so she won't bother the older cat too much . And yes, for now, lock up the kitten when you are away.
Old January 13th, 2008, 11:49 AM

They finally met each other today and my older cat Mama wasn't happy. She hisses at Samantha twice before running away. My dog Bor Bor doesn't have too much problem but she's way TOO excited and I worry he might hurt Samantha...

My nephew: