Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old June 12th, 2005, 08:17 PM

My New Redbone!

Well, I just came across this website a few days ago and while I'm about as far from Canada as possible (Orlando, Fl ), I thought I'd go ahead and share some pics of my pup that I will be picking up shortly.

This is the actual Pup. Yea, the lighting is bad, but you can still see her cute face.

This is a picture of her father. Apparently, hes quite a big Redbone at about 80lb's, but since I'm not interested in showing my dog in the least, her meeting the breed standard to a "T" doesn't really bother me.

A picture of the mother with the litter nursing.

And finally, a picture of the whole litter, sitting side-by-side.

I'm really hoping the girl comes out with the great red color these dogs are known for, and by the looks of her parents, theres no reason she won't!

P.S. Anyone actually handle this breed before? I've read dozens of websites and a few books on the breed so I'm quite aware of what to expect, but then again, nothing beats actual experience.

~
Old June 12th, 2005, 08:26 PM
Senior Contributor

Great looking pup. You're a lucky guy or gal (screen names always make it hard to tell).

We met a rescued Red Bone once while walking in the woods at Christmas. A Canadian girl now living in the States was home visiting her parents. He was perfect except for a shaved leg and evidence of some stitches.

She had found him injured on a road in Kentucky, taken it to a vet and paid for his surgery. When nobody claimed it - she kept it.

It is high on our list for a next dog if we don’t rescue instead. Being a believer in ‘they find you, you don’t find them’ it may never happen but man I love the looks of those dogs. Still Red Boned Coon Hound, Rhodesian Ridgeback or pit bull (once they become legal again in Ontario) are on the short list. The reality is something with four legs is going to show up one day and we’ll make him ours (hopefully it's red either way).

I just (10 minutes ago) finished watching ‘Where the Red Fern Grows’ which we had been waiting for months to come out on DVD. It is the story of a boy and his two Red Boned Coon Hounds. There were some nice shots in there. Then I log on and here we are - Red Bones. Amazing.

Last edited by twodogsandacat; June 12th, 2005 at 08:29 PM.
Old June 12th, 2005, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Great looking pup. You're a lucky guy or gal (screen names always make it hard to tell).
Heh, Yea I know how that is. I'm just a 19 year old college kid who has recently bought a house and can finally get his own dog. (I would never keep a dog in an apartment. Its almost like torture. )

As for your choices, those were three of my top five. I just chose the Redbone cause I had no previous experience with Pitts, did not want to deal with the negative stigma that goes along with them, and there are a lot of Ridgebacks in my area.

As for "Where the Red Fern Grows", god that brings up some sad memories. I swear, I'm not really one to get upset over books or movies (They just don't effect me), but when I read the last 20ish pages of that book, I was crying my 7th grade eyes out. For anyone who wants to read a good dog book, its definately a good one. Just be warned, it makes "Old Yeller", look like a happy ending. :sad:
~
Old June 12th, 2005, 09:27 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by taket
As for "Where the Red Fern Grows", god that brings up some sad memories. I swear, I'm not really one to get upset over books or movies (They just don't effect me), but when I read the last 20ish pages of that book, I was crying my 7th grade eyes out. For anyone who wants to read a good dog book, its definately a good one. Just be warned, it makes "Old Yeller", look like a happy ending. :sad:
~
One day I will read the book, maybe on one of these long summer 'do nothing' days. I really liked the movie though as I got to see some video of Red Bones instead of still photos. They are absolutely rare up here. I have only seen the one 'visitor' and a few blue ticks and black and tans. Still, reds my favorite color.

Congratulations you'll have to post more pictures when you can.
Old June 12th, 2005, 09:39 PM
Senior Contributor

How beautiful! Congrats.

I love the look of hounds, and Redbones are really lovely!
Old June 12th, 2005, 09:43 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Congratulations and good luck
Old June 13th, 2005, 07:13 AM
Agility Addict

Wow, your pup is too adorable!

I have never seen a Redboned Coonhound - aside from pictures and of course in "Where the Red Fern Grows".

I'm partial to hounds, I have a Foxhound so I am so happy to see another person with a hound!

Do you plan on hunting with her?

I'm glad you waited until you had your own house, I can't imagine the damage and noise my hound would make in such a small space. When he gets the zoomies, lamps go flying, plants fall down - not to metion he sounds like an elephant!

Anyway, good luck with your little girl and I can't wait to hear all about her (and see more pictures too!!)

Have you picked out a name, yet? Did you mention when you get to pick her up?
Old June 13th, 2005, 05:48 PM

Quote:
I have never seen a Redboned Coonhound - aside from pictures and of course in "Where the Red Fern Grows".

I'm partial to hounds, I have a Foxhound so I am so happy to see another person with a hound!
I'm glad theres another hound fan here too! As for not seeing one IRL, I have only seen a select few. I know its a little weird to get a dog that I have barely any experience with, but I just fell in love with them and they seem to fit perfectly with my 'criteria' for picking a dog. If you have any advice, feel free to share. Nothing beats first hand knowledge.

Quote:
Do you plan on hunting with her?
I'm not a hunter myself, but I realize she's a hunting dog and I'll try to teach her games that will release some of that will to work. Maybe teach her to tree a little in the backyard or how to find hidden treats with only her nose?

Quote:
I'm glad you waited until you had your own house, I can't imagine the damage and noise my hound would make in such a small space. When he gets the zoomies, lamps go flying, plants fall down - not to metion he sounds like an elephant!
I think he'll love the backyard and the two other puppies moving in. As far as I understand, redbones tend to like the company of other dogs more than other coonhound breeds. Something about them being smaller so hunters tend to use more than one at a time. Either way, he'll be socialized with other dogs well.

Quote:
Have you picked out a name, yet? Did you mention when you get to pick her up?
Nope. I figure I should see her before I decide what to call her. I guess that sounds kinda dumb, but it makes sense in my head. I get to pick her up anywhere from July 9-19th. I'll have a positive date soon enough.

BTW...Would love to see some pics of your foxhound. They were right up there on my list.

~
Old June 13th, 2005, 06:13 PM
banned user

Quote:
Nope. I figure I should see her before I decide what to call her.
I name my all my animals before getting them. I have my next dog named, and I won't be getting him for at least two years. lol
Old June 14th, 2005, 08:18 AM
Agility Addict

I never realized I would be a hound-dog person until Dodger came into my life! I think so long as you start a hound off early and consistently train you end up with a perfect companion. Dodger is a social butterfly, both with people, dogs and cats. He is still quite immature for almost a year old, I think it must be a hound thing!?

I think redbones are descendents of foxhounds - is that right?

I'm not a hunter either but you wouldn't know that from Dodger! He had an interesting relationship with a fox throughout the winter and has since decided that groundhogs are his priority! It's terrible right now because there are so many babies so I have to keep a close eye on him.
Dodger has quite a lot of energy as I'm sure your redbone will have, so we hike for a few hours a day. I let Dodger off leash and so far his recall has been great (except for a period between 4-6 months old!). He had issues with water but now loves it – but I think redbones like water so that won’t be an issue for you!!

Your treat idea is GREAT! Dodger loves that and we have actually progressed to him sniffing out a treat that's in a container.

I'll post some pictures - but I warn you, sometimes I go crazy (I'll try to limit myself !

Here's Dodger about 8 weeks old - always a hound!
Attached Images

Old June 14th, 2005, 08:21 AM
Agility Addict

Dodger - 11 months, all grown up! He's about 26 inches now - which puts him over the breed standard for an American Foxhound !!
Attached Images

Old June 14th, 2005, 08:22 AM
Agility Addict

He's always happy but is not enjoying the heat of the summer. I thought he would hate winter but it's the complete reverse - loves winter and hates summer !!!
Attached Images

Old June 14th, 2005, 08:24 AM
Agility Addict

Last picture - this is Dodger on the weekend - like I said before always a hound!
It's quite neat - Dodger usually needs about 4 hours a day off-leash but 2, 15 minute swims knocked him out for the rest of the day and night! Amazing!
Attached Images

Old June 14th, 2005, 09:02 AM

Wow, thats a beautiful foxhound you have there Lissa. I can only hope my little girl turns out half as nice!

Oh, and as for the swimming; Apparently Redbones have webbed feet, much like a lab does so she should be partial to water. I'm definately hoping that she loves water as there is a VERY nice dog park near my house which is on a lake. I'd love for her to upset the dozen lab owners when she outswims their dogs to the tennis ball they threw in the water!

~

Last edited by taket; June 14th, 2005 at 09:05 AM.