Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old January 3rd, 2009, 01:21 PM
Pet Guardian

Unhappy Cat's teeth removed - won't eat

My cat is 13 y.o. Her whole life she ate dry cat food (royal canin). She unexpectedly had to have all her top teeth removed due to some kitty tooth disease and was in the hospital for 2 weeks. Her vet is a dental surgeon expert. He said her mouth is healing nicely and sent her home. Each day she has been home she is eating less and less. Vet thinks she is "playing for sympathy from me" hoping she will get her dry cat food -- which she can never have again.

She liked human baby food - chicken. So I took her dry food, soaked it in water so it would turn soft, put the baby chicken food in it and warmed it. she ate it yeserday and won't eat today. she won't eat anything else either.

Vet told me to get a dog crate that looks like a jail, put her in it with litter box and food and a bed and keep her in there with no contact from me for 8 hours. Then check if she ate anything and call him. He is convinced she is being a brat and just hoping i will give in and give her dry food (which i won't/can't).

HELP!
Old January 3rd, 2009, 01:32 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by meow View Post
He is convinced she is being a brat and just hoping i will give in and give her dry food (which i won't/can't).
Uh-oh. I'm not liking this vet's mentality about this. Cats have to eat, they aren't like dogs that can down-regulate their metabolism, and they also don't just stop eating because they're "being a brat". I also don't like his suggestion to lock her in a cage for 8 hours without contact. This is only going to increase her stress and make it even less likely that she eats, not more.

Couple questions: is your cat on antibiotics? What about pain-killers?

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old January 3rd, 2009, 03:52 PM
Pet Guardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
Uh-oh. I'm not liking this vet's mentality about this. Cats have to eat, they aren't like dogs that can down-regulate their metabolism, and they also don't just stop eating because they're "being a brat". I also don't like his suggestion to lock her in a cage for 8 hours without contact. This is only going to increase her stress and make it even less likely that she eats, not more.

Couple questions: is your cat on antibiotics? What about pain-killers?
she was on anitbiotics but not now. vet thinks she was tasting it in her food and it made her stop eating.she was on pain killers. not now.
Old January 3rd, 2009, 05:33 PM
Senior Contributor

OMG,that vet has to learn a few things about cat-behavior,not only is her mouth probably sore,but ignoring her in a cage for 8 hours is outrageous.
I would get her some Wellness canned food,if she likes Chicken baby-food,maybe she'll eat the Wellness chicken.
I would also get her some more pain-killers..
Old January 3rd, 2009, 06:05 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

Her mouth may be healing nicely, but still gotta be sore IMO. Contrary to popular belief, cats with no teeth can still eat dry food, after they're gums have hardened, although it's a good opportunity for you to get her onto wet food which is better for her anyway. I would keep doing what you're doing, everything you can to get her to eat and would look into another vet looking at her to see if she needs more antibiotics and painkillers.

Cindy
Old January 3rd, 2009, 06:29 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I would get a second opinion with a vet.

A cat should never go more than 24 hours without food as their livers do not metabolize fat energy well. I am shocked that a vet would not consider this .

Also antibiotics are notorious for causing tummy upset in cats (and humans) so that could be another reason your kitty is not eating.

Just imagine if you just got your teeth out? Would your dentist prescribe hard, crunchy food or soft food for a few weeks until you can bear to chew again? I highly recommend a quality canned food such as Wellness, grain free, Natures Variety, Instinct, and Organics by Nature.

I don't think a cat has the mental capability to play on your sympathies. I think your kitty has an upset tummy from the antibiotics or has/has had pain from eating kibble.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey

Last edited by Love4himies; January 3rd, 2009 at 07:30 PM. Reason: spelling
Old January 3rd, 2009, 07:27 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh geezee...I'm not liking your vet much either! Cats don't stop eating cause they want attention and to keep kitty locked in a cage for 8 hrs without you looking in on him? Sorry but to me that is just cruel! I'd get another vet as this guy sounds like he doesn't like cats! JMHO

Debbie

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old January 3rd, 2009, 07:38 PM

Quote:
My cat is 13 y.o. Her whole life she ate dry cat food (royal canin). She unexpectedly had to have all her top teeth removed due to some kitty tooth disease and was in the hospital for 2 weeks. Her vet is a dental surgeon expert. He said her mouth is healing nicely and sent her home.
Why was she in the hospital for 2 weeks? Did they remove part of her jaw bone?

Were the gums sutured closed after the teeth were removed?

My 17yr old cat had 2 large (1 from the top jaw & 1 from the bottom) & 4 tiny front teeth removed & was sent home the same day.

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old January 3rd, 2009, 08:03 PM
Pet Guardian

I am on coumadin. The vet doesn't want to be sued if I get scratched giving her meds. I agree about the crate. I am NOT putting her in it again. she is sick. my friend went to a pet psychic who said my cat has a scratch in her throat...which is why she is not eating. I took her meds and diluted it in water and put it in a eye dropper and got it in her mouth. I started giving her antibiotics and pain meds starting tonight. The infection in her mouth went into the bone in her mouth so she has to be on anitbiotics for 6 months. I have to get them in her! she was in the hospital for 2 weeks b/c she would not eat. she was on an IV. then she got better and was going to come home and got a sinus infection so she had to stay longer.
Old January 3rd, 2009, 08:05 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
she was on anitbiotics but not now. vet thinks she was tasting it in her food and it made her stop eating.she was on pain killers. not now.
Antibiotics can definitely interfere with appetite. What food did the vet send home with her? It's possible she's developed a taste aversion to it, so I highly recommend trying other canned foods. Get several flavours of Fancy Feast from the grocery store and see if she's tempted by any of them.

Something else would be to pulverize her old dry food and sprinkle it on top of the canned. Or offer her some low-sodium canned salmon or sardines. Pouring tuna juice on her dry or canned is another trick. You can also get bonito flakes (aka Kitty Kaviar) and crumble it over her food.

She must eat, you can't just starve a cat into eating what you want them to. The vet is terribly mistaken in this regard. If she goes without food for more than 48 hrs, it might be time to use an appetite stimulant.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old January 3rd, 2009, 08:14 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I started giving her antibiotics and pain meds starting tonight. The infection in her mouth went into the bone in her mouth so she has to be on anitbiotics for 6 months. I have to get them in her!
If she still needs pain medication at this point, a much better option would be a Fentanyl pain patch. Lasts for 5 days and you don't have to mess with getting anything down her throat. As for the antibiotics, there is a long-lasting shot called Covenia that might be an easier option.

Old January 3rd, 2009, 08:22 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Antibiotics for 6 months . I would definitely be getting a second opinion. Antibiotics can kill off the good bacteria in the gut causing chronic diarrhea. Perhaps supplementing your kitty daily with some plain yogurt to help replenish the bacteria.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old January 3rd, 2009, 08:24 PM
Pet Guardian

she is eating gerber baby food-chicken flavor.
Old January 3rd, 2009, 08:25 PM
Pet Guardian

yes when she is on antibiotcs for 6 months i have to give her acidopholis. this infection could have killed her. it was very severe. it wasn't just normal teeth extractions.
she was extremely difficult with the vet. satan kitty. she is not like that with me. she is like that with all vets. it wasn't just him. she is a 1 person indoor cat. the vet owns 2 cats. i think he likes cats. i think he is judging by her "satan" behavior at the hospital and he is thinking she acts like that all the times when approached with meds, etc.
Old January 3rd, 2009, 08:27 PM

Mixing in a couple of teaspoons of warm water to the canned food may also tempt her to eat. You can also try a tiny bit of melted butter on top, or sprinkle a little bit of catnip on the canned.

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old January 3rd, 2009, 08:32 PM
Pet Guardian

Quote:
Antibiotics can definitely interfere with appetite. What food did the vet send home with her? It's possible she's developed a taste aversion to it, so I highly recommend trying other canned foods. Get several flavours of Fancy Feast from the grocery store and see if she's tempted by any of them.

Something else would be to pulverize her old dry food and sprinkle it on top of the canned. Or offer her some low-sodium canned salmon or sardines. Pouring tuna juice on her dry or canned is another trick. You can also get bonito flakes (aka Kitty Kaviar) and crumble it over her food.

She must eat, you can't just starve a cat into eating what you want them to. The vet is terribly mistaken in this regard. If she goes without food for more than 48 hrs, it might be time to use an appetite stimulant.
she ate fancy feast extravagant medleys at the vet and meow mix. won't eat it for me. i took her dry food, soaked it in water then mixed the baby food in. she ate that 2x. now she will only eat the baby food, which has no fiber in it so i have to mix fiber in. i tried grinding up her dry food and sprinkling on top wet food. she is too smart and scrapped all the dry off and didn't eat the wet. she won't eat ground up chicken or ground up tuna. i tried. she never liked people food - ever. i put the crate in the basement just now. won't do that again. i don't think the vet thinks it is good to starve her into eating. i think he was trying to get her into a confined area with the food hoping she would eat.
Old January 3rd, 2009, 08:34 PM
Pet Guardian

tried the butter and cat nip, etc thank you for the ideas. they didn't work.
Old January 3rd, 2009, 08:40 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
now she will only eat the baby food, which has no fiber in it so i have to mix fiber in.
Why does she need the fiber? That's great that she's at least eating baby food. And if she'll eat her dry food on it's own, then let her have that too. Like clm mentioned, cats can often still eat dry even without teeth.

Old January 4th, 2009, 09:00 AM
Senior Contributor

That kitty has certainly been through a lot,as have you..
I would say,most cats hate taking meds,your kitty is not"Satan",she's been in pain,spent 2 weeks in a hospital and is on meds,enough to get a cat totally stressed out,I know anyone of my cats would be

As for suing the vet,no owner can sue a vet because their cat scratches them while getting medicated,so I don't think the vet worries about that.
You obviously care a lot about your kitty though and I hoping for the best for both of you
Old January 4th, 2009, 09:06 AM
Pet Guardian

The vet seems to be worried about me and getting scratched. I know she is in pain and has been thru alot. I called her "satan" so you could get an idea of her behavior at the vets. I LOVE my kitty. she needs fiber to poop. she didn't poop for a week. she just pooped and there was one hard piece and the rest was diarreah. now she is barely eating the baby food.

believe it or not this vet is the go-to guy for cat's teeth. other vets send their clients to him! my only other option is the 24 hour animal hospital since it is sunday.

i just got out of the hospital myself. this is very stressful for kitty and me. i am worried sick.
Old January 4th, 2009, 09:07 AM
Pet Guardian

Quote:
Why does she need the fiber? That's great that she's at least eating baby food. And if she'll eat her dry food on it's own, then let her have that too. Like clm mentioned, cats can often still eat dry even without teeth.
she can't have dry food yet. her surgery was 2 weeks ago. top teeth out, roots came out too. i gave her her dry food soaked in a little water. she won't eat it.
Old January 4th, 2009, 01:26 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
she needs fiber to poop. she didn't poop for a week. she just pooped and there was one hard piece and the rest was diarreah. now she is barely eating the baby food.
A contributing factor to not pooping was likely that she wasn't eating. Nothing in, nothing out. What is the fiber that you're adding? Will she eat the baby food without it? Can you try other flavours of baby food, like beef or lamb?

Quote:
she can't have dry food yet. her surgery was 2 weeks ago. top teeth out, roots came out too.
Cats heal extremely quickly, and I'm going to say that at this point, needing to eat trumps everything else. If she'll eat her dry food without it being soaked in water, give it to her. If you have to pulverize it into a powder for her to lick up, do that. Whatever it takes to keep her eating.

This vet may indeed be the go-to guy for teeth, but I'm questioning how much he actually understands cats as a whole. If your cat doesn't eat anything - not her old food, not the baby food - then I reiterate that she needs an appetite stimulant. There is one called mirtazapine which only needs to be given every 3 days. It's very effective.

Old January 4th, 2009, 04:05 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I have to agree with sugarcatmom, you need to get this cat to eat even if it means an appetite stimulant. I question the advice you have gotten from this vet and was wondering what makes him the "go to guy" for teeth extraction.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old January 4th, 2009, 07:19 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Get that kitty some good quality canned food. L4H mentioned some of the very best. Mush it up. Add some warm water to it to make it soupier so kitty can eat it. She NEEDS to eat! If you want to add fiber to her diet then give her a tsp of pure pumpkin, not the pie filling, in her food. That will give her the fiber. Will also help with the diarrhea she is suffering. Probably from all the meds in her system and the baby food. Leave her food out. She may not eat right away but she will eat.

You have had the very best food guru we have here give you fantastic advice. She knows tons more about food nutrition than most vets. Royal Canin is not a great food for kitty to be on at the best of times but if she will eat it then give it to her. The important thing is that she eat!

I would seriously be looking for a vet who understands cats!

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old January 4th, 2009, 07:26 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Well said 14+. Even if it is the grain free Fancy Feast flavours, which is also known as kitty crack (salmon or Tuna, whitefish).

If the antibiotics are making your kitty sick, she can't go 6 months without eating so you may have to forego the meds until she eats again. If you are worried about doing so, contact another vet.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old January 4th, 2009, 07:33 PM
Senior Contributor

Everybody has had really good ideas and having gone through some of the same things myself I think the most important part for me to reiterate is that your cat MUST eat. When I have had sick cats I only offer them tiny, wee, little bits of food at a time. Wee, little as in maybe less than an eighth of a teaspoon and offered on the end of my finger. Don't offer a regular sized serving. Think of how the sight of food makes you feel sick yourself when you have the flu. Only tiny bits. Ludicrously, unbelievably tiny bits. Many times of course.
Old January 4th, 2009, 09:12 PM

When my cat Gollum refused to eat, owing to major kidney and liver issues, I ended up pureeing cat food and even raw liver in my blender until it was like thick soup, then using a plastic mouth syringe (barrel of a hypo with no needle works fine too) and making him eat it. He disliked the procedure but it got food into him. The more he ate, the stronger he got and then the more he wanted to eat.

I came on this forum for help and did I ever get it! These folks know what they're talking about and they definitely helped me drag Gollum back from the dead.

Best of luck with your poor kitty. You're both going through such a rough time.
Old January 5th, 2009, 12:30 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
The more he ate, the stronger he got and then the more he wanted to eat.
This has been my experience too. Force-feeding is a drag but at a certain point you just have to do it, as quickly and as skilfully as possible. I never forced Mousse to eat more than a certain amount each time, usually about 2 tablespoons. I used a small 3 ml syringe so the mixture has to be really soupy, no lumps. I would get some canned recovery food from the vet or one of the other brands that have been suggested; baby food doesn't have the nutrition she needs.
I used to wrap Mousse in a towel and got each session down to about two minutes.
Then comes the clean-up lol. Then a little later you have another go.
You could leave some of the same food down as well, just in case. Don't worry about it spoiling. If the fiber thing is more pearls of wisdom from your vet - who appears to be a bit wanting in the cat psychology department - ignore it.
I would think about putting her back on pain meds until you have the eating issue solved. A pain patch is a good idea. Pain in animals is under-treated, imo.
The crating suggestion is just weird. How is this supposed to help? Your vet is a numbskull.

Last edited by badger; January 5th, 2009 at 12:35 AM.
Old January 7th, 2009, 09:12 AM
Pet Guardian

Update 1/7/09: I took my cat to the ICU critical care 24 hour hospital. They put a feeding tube in her. they gave me ID cat food and i have to blenderize it, mix it with anitiobtics and pain meds and acidopholius. they showed me how to feed her thru the tube. she has had 5 feedings so far. yesterday i think i almost lost her. i am having anxiety attacks (literally) and feel like i am going to throw up. i started taking valium. i will NEVER go back to the surgeon who operated on her. an internist at the icu told me she would see my kitty through this and once the tube comes out and she is eating i need to find a new vet. i have a friend who has lived here longer than me, helping me with that.

my kitty will eat baby food with her mouth but no cat food. they don't want me giving her too much baby food b/c it gave her diarreah. i feel like i am in catch 22. i have to encourage her to eat with her mouth. if she doesn't then i tube feed her.

i feel SICK. i wish i never had her operated on. I am crying. at the time i thought it was life or death and i had to but i feel she has been traumatized. oh and i folded up that crate and i am NOT putting her in it. she has a cone on her head so she doesn't rip out the feeding tube. that should be good enough. she is lethargic. i opened all the windows and am playing uplifting gospel music for her. lucily today was a snow day here i can stay home with her all day.

I LOVE my cat sooooooo much. I feel sick what has happened. i am afraid she will give up her will to live b/c she has been thru so much. she must be in pain but cats often don't show how much. all i can do now is feed her thru the tube so she gets stronger and take her saturday to the icu internist. i am really scared!!!! i LOVE my girl!

I forgot to mention the icu hospital did alot of tests and found nothing else wrong with her beside malnutrition, trauma from surgery.

Last edited by meow; January 7th, 2009 at 09:19 AM.
Old January 7th, 2009, 09:15 AM
Pet Guardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
Get that kitty some good quality canned food. L4H mentioned some of the very best. Mush it up. Add some warm water to it to make it soupier so kitty can eat it. She NEEDS to eat! If you want to add fiber to her diet then give her a tsp of pure pumpkin, not the pie filling, in her food. That will give her the fiber. Will also help with the diarrhea she is suffering. Probably from all the meds in her system and the baby food. Leave her food out. She may not eat right away but she will eat.

You have had the very best food guru we have here give you fantastic advice. She knows tons more about food nutrition than most vets. Royal Canin is not a great food for kitty to be on at the best of times but if she will eat it then give it to her. The important thing is that she eat!

I would seriously be looking for a vet who understands cats!
where do i get pure pumpkin? i got the pie filling in the can and she hates it.