Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old March 18th, 2011, 03:14 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Winston and my Uncle Robbie

Do you ever wonder if a dog can sense things about Humans?

I have a great story to share that truly shows the love of humans and animals.

My Uncle Robbie is a 73 year old man who is petrified of dogs. He also suffers from a mental disability. When he was a young boy he was bitten/attacked by a dog and he has always been afraid of them his whole life due to that incident.

About 6 years ago it was my turn to hold our Christmas celebration at my home. I didn’t exactly know how to deal with my uncle coming over and being fearful of Winston. So on the drive over to my house I talked over and over about Winston to my uncle and told him that he didn’t have to be afraid. He was most certainly nervous. We had put Winston in his crate until my uncle was inside the house and feeling comfortable.

I then proceeded to bring Winston up to meet the guests. Winston was immediately drawn to my uncle. (isn’t that always the case!) but anyway Winston must have sensed something was up because he slowly walked over to him and placed his head on my uncles lap. My uncle slowly began to pet Winston’s head. He must have realized he wouldn’t be hurt because he continued to pet him constantly and Winston just layed down at his feet. He didn’t visit anyone else in the room just my uncle.

Since that day 6 years ago my uncle no longer has any fear of Winston perhaps other dogs but not my boy! He kisses Winston, asks about him all the time and truly enjoys seeing him and being around him.

On Wednesday my uncle went to the hospital where they have now told us he will be dying very soon. I have spent many hours by his bedside with my mom this week and it has been very difficult.

The purpose of this story was to tell you that every time I mention Winston’s name my uncle smiles and asks for him. He said to me last night that he wanted to go for a long walk with Winston when he gets out of the hospital. I told him yes he can go for a walk with him. He can barely talk and I have told him many times how much Winston loves him and he squeezes my hand or tells me I know! Each and every time.

Tonight I will be bringing a picture of Winston to the hospital so that he has his picture to look at! And I hope it will bring him some joy in his last days.

I find it amazing how animals can sense things about others!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old March 18th, 2011, 04:23 PM
Senior Contributor

What a touching story. I believe animals can sense. I know one of my dogs used to behave that way with a friends mother who had a stroke and was in a wheelchair. Tasha would go and sit with her head in the ladies lap but never tried to put her feet on her or anything. She knew.

If I were you I would ask the nurses at the hospital if you can bring Winston in to see your Uncle. When my husband was just in hospital the nurse told me to bring our dogs in to see him. I saw several other people there with dogs visiting as well. At first I was shocked, I always thought just therapy dogs could go in, but indeed most hospitals now allow a persons pets to visit. It can't hurt to ask, you may be surprised, and your Uncle would be delighted I'm sure (as likely would many other people). Hospitals have certainly changed since when I was younger. If you are not allowed to bring Winston to your Uncle's room, could you wheel him down to the lobby for a visit? That's what I ended up doing with my husband because I have the two dogs who are both quite large, so I brought him downstairs and then brought them both in to the lobby. Good luck to you and please know my thoughts and prayers are with your Uncle for peace and comfort.
Old March 18th, 2011, 04:36 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

What a wonderful, heartwarming story. So sorry about your uncle.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old March 18th, 2011, 04:56 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

DD I would love to do that but he is in no shape to be able to. He is on a breathing machine and in an isolated area due to a bacterial infection so everyone is gloved and gowned. It would mean sooo much to him I am positive about that but not possible. His picture will have to do Im afraid...but in my opinion a great picture to pass with.

Thanks for the thoughts ladies I do appreciate them.
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old March 18th, 2011, 05:20 PM
Senior Contributor

This is truly a heartwarming story! I'm sorry about your uncle.
Old March 18th, 2011, 05:44 PM
Senior Contributor

Winston..what an amazing story..
Is there anyway at all that Winston is allowed in the hospital? I know in terminal cases they do make exceptions. Please ask.
Best to you, and I am so very sorry that your family is going through a tough time.
Prayers to your uncle and all the family members.
Old March 18th, 2011, 07:16 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

So sad about your uncle! I wish it were possible for Winston to visit. I'm sure they'd both enjoy it! I pray that your uncle can rally and take that walk with Winston!

s for you and your family and special prayers for your uncle!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 18th, 2011, 08:17 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Thank you everyone!

My uncle left for a better place tonght where he can run with all the doggies he likes! I feel proud to know that when its Winston's time he will have an extra special buddy waiting for him!

My uncle waited for my mom (his sister) and me to arrive tonight and then set himself free about 5 minutes later. I know he was waiting for us so I showed him his buddys picture before he passed..I dont know for sure if he saw it but I know he has those special memories in his heart. He is at peace and I am happy with that. He was a special man.

Thank you everyone for keeping me in your thoughts!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old March 18th, 2011, 09:59 PM
Senior Contributor

I am so sorry to see that your Uncle has left on his final journey. I am sure he loved Winston and that Winston loved him.

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else
Old March 19th, 2011, 04:10 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

What a beautiful story, Winston and yes, I totally agree, animals have a special sense

I am sorry to hear about your uncle.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old March 19th, 2011, 08:24 AM
Senior Contributor

Oh my I'm crying. What a beautiful story. So sorry about your uncle. When my father in law was ill, my boston puppy would sit for hrs on his lap and he was a bit rough trying to hold and pat her, and she would just lay there.......Funny now she is extremely shy with adults, takes hrs to warm up to them. She only goes to children
Old March 19th, 2011, 10:29 AM
Mickey, my angel

Winston, thank you for sharing this heartwarming story. So wonderful that Winston and your uncle had that special bond for the last few years.

So sorry of the loss of your uncle.
"Let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." -Jack Layton
"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi

Kitties: Punky (17), and Sassy (13), Twinky (10),

SweetMickey 1991 to May 24, 2009
Old March 19th, 2011, 10:45 AM
Senior Contributor

Winston..I am so sorry for your loss.
Old March 19th, 2011, 11:26 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Cindy - I am so sorry for your loss. I'm sure your uncle knew you and his sister were near.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old March 19th, 2011, 01:00 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

I'm sorry for your loss Winston.
Old March 19th, 2011, 01:53 PM
-

Winston, that was a very heartwarming story about Winston and your uncle.

Sorry to hear of his passing and my sincere condolences to you and your family.
Old March 19th, 2011, 03:31 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

So sorry to hear, Cindy I'm glad his passing was peaceful and that both you and your Mom were able to be there. My condolences to you and your family! And a big hug for Winston, too...

Uncle Robbie

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 19th, 2011, 07:01 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Thanks again...yes Winston was amazing to him and I am very proud of that.

He had some framed pictures of Winston at the home he was in and always showed them off! Maybe I will send him off with one!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old March 20th, 2011, 01:59 PM
Live well, laugh often

What a lovely story .

I am so sorry for your loss Winston .
Old March 20th, 2011, 04:38 PM
Senior Contributor

Winston,I am so very sorry for your loss,your uncle most certainly is in a better place,without tubes and breathing-machines and I am certain he took the memory of sweet Winston with him.
Old March 20th, 2011, 05:29 PM
Senior Contributor

Winston, I'm so very sorry about the loss of your uncle. Animals are just so amazing. They bring us comfort in ways we just can't imagine. I'm so happy that your boy brought your uncle a bit of comfort in his last days.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old March 20th, 2011, 07:40 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston View Post
He had some framed pictures of Winston at the home he was in and always showed them off! Maybe I will send him off with one!
I think your uncle would love that.
Old March 21st, 2011, 10:49 AM
Senior Contributor

So sorry to hear about your Uncle passing Cindy, but I do agree that he waited for you and your mom to be there. My Mother waited for me to be there before she passed away. I told her she should go when she was ready that we were at peace with it and we'd all be fine and that night she was gone.

I agree you should put a picture of Winston with him for his final journey. When my first husband passed away I put a picture of Shadow and one of my son and me in his breast pocket over his heart. All of us who were nearest to him were with him.

Your Uncle would approve and appreciate that gesture I'm sure.
Old March 21st, 2011, 11:00 AM
-

What a tender-hearted story Winston ~ thank you.
Old March 21st, 2011, 05:12 PM

Thank you for sharing that heartwarming story.

I'm sorry to hear of the loss of your uncle. It is great though that you could spend some time with him in his last days, and that he was able to say goodbye to you and your Mom. Working in residential care and in the hospital I have often seen that many people wait until they can say their goodbyes and also so that they know that their remaning loved ones are ready to let them go.

I agree that it would be good to send your Uncle off with a picture of Winston. That is something special and meaningful to all of you.
Old March 21st, 2011, 05:58 PM
Senior Contributor

I am so sorry about your uncle - but I also want to thank you for sharing this wonderful story.

Diane