Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old May 22nd, 2005, 07:53 PM

Why Does My Mastiff Pee Every Time I Walk Into The Room

MY DOG IS 10 MONTHS OLD AND IS HOUSE BROKEN IN EVERY WAY TILL I COME HOME FROM WORK OR GET JUST COME INTO THE ROOM TO FAST MY WIFE MY FRIENDS EVERY ONE CAN PLAY WITH HIM BUT ME HE JUST PEES EVERY TIME HE SEE'S ME WHAT CAN I DO. I AM USING A BELLY BAND RIGHT NOW IS THERE ANY THING ELSE I CAN DO ???????PLEASE HELP
Old May 22nd, 2005, 08:12 PM
<-----nut ball

Is he submissive peeing? Like...cowaring and peeing? Was he abused at all (like, is he a shelter dog? does anyone ever hit him or anything physical?).

Has he been to the vet? It's possible he could have an infection that is making him pee a lot (Urinary Tract Infection). If he hasn't been to the vet, try that first. If he has, we need more info.
Old May 22nd, 2005, 08:37 PM

we got him when he was 4 months old from a breeder i go out to sea from time to time and the more that i come or go or if we leave for a little while he gets really stressed out like the other day we went out all day and he destroyed the house and it was like just my stuff he was attacking like my work tools my magizine and all my wifes stuff was left un touched but as far as abuse none that i know of. i can't even let him out of his crate with out him pee all over me and it and the house but if my wife does it it is fine nothing happens
Old May 22nd, 2005, 09:30 PM

Is he neutered? Do you make eye contact before he pees? What if you walk into the room where he is and don't look at him?

I would see a vet as the problem is new.
Old May 23rd, 2005, 09:33 AM
Senior Contributor

Is your dog used to men, or does he usually see only women and children? Has he been thoroughly socialized, taken to all kinds of places and met all sorts of people?

Are you a big guy? Do you walk straight towards him when you enter the room?

This is NOT a housetraining problem if he never pees in the house at other times, so the belly band should not be used and the dog should never be scolded or corrected for this, since he absolutely cannot help it.

Here are a bunch of links about this problem and how to handle it. Hope it helps!
http://www.wonderpuppy.net/canwehelp/htsubm.htm
Old May 23rd, 2005, 09:54 AM
Senior Contributor - Expert

It is possible that he is really impressed by you and he is submissive peeing out of respect. I am thinking that at some point you corrected him for something and he got the message - loud and clear. He doesn't want you to get mad like that again so he is offering his submission to you from the get go. I am not saying that you were unfair or cruel, but for his soft temperament it was enough to start SPing.
I trained an Akita with a family and the only time he ever SP'd was with me - yet he also sucked up to me and was happier to see me more than anyone else he knew. I was the only one who consistently held him to a higher standard and he loved/respected me for it.
You need to soften up with this guy - still work him, but do't over do your reactions to him - either too firm or too sweet. Try to be neutral.
This is a behavior that usually passes by the age of 1 year - though it can last a little longer.
I know it is hard but try to see this as a gift of respect to you. It's like a parrrot who regurgitates his meal for you - totally gross, but an offering of the highest love. He is offering an intense sign of submission so be careful not to ever get mad at him for it - because he has nothing more to give and it could really mess him up if you get mad.
Dog Training the Way Nature Intended

Last edited by tenderfoot; May 23rd, 2005 at 09:56 AM.
Old May 23rd, 2005, 10:27 AM

my husband is a big guy 6'2"..and at first i thought he as just confused as too who was the dominat person in the house with him being out to sea for weeks at a time but he has been home for awhile know ans tobey is still doing it...my husband can take hime outside and when he goes to take his lead off he pees and if he puts tobey in his kenel or lets him out of his kennel he pees...he is very socialized we take him to the beach and he loves it he is a very good natured dog this is just a HUGE problem..its soo frustrating and i have tryed so many things such as puttin him in his kenell right before rannie walks in the door and then letting him out after he is home for a minute but as soon as rannie goes to love on him or take him out or ANYTHING he just pees all over my floor and he doesnt just do in in one spot its like he feels threatened and he will run from me as i try to get him outside so that its not in my carpet so then it all over the place...i mean its too the point that my husband doesnt even want to pet him..i we really need to find a semi-quick fix for this HUGe problem i understand that it wont fix over night but i need something i am almost 9mths pregnant..due very early july..please help!
Old May 23rd, 2005, 10:57 AM
banned user

Quote:
Is he neutered?
Old May 23rd, 2005, 11:12 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Submissive urination

If it IS submissive urination here is a pet tip from this site - hope it helps.

http://www.pets.ca/pettips/tips-14.htm
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old May 23rd, 2005, 11:38 AM
<-----nut ball

I don't know if this would help, but have you tried making a loud noise to distract him when he starts to pee? We have a rescue dog, and in the first few months he did have a few accidents. We were told to make a loud noise like a clap to get his attention and it will stop him from peeing, then immediately take him outside.

I think the best thing is to ignore the dog completely when rannie gets home. Don't put him in a kennel, don't pet him or anything. Sounds like it's an extention of separation anxiety, and the dog doesn't know when your husband is coming or going. Wait at least 15 minutes...completely ignore him. Let the dog come to your husband for petting if he wants it...

A friend of mine had a golden that would get so excited when anyone came over, he would pee everywhere...just something they lived with.
Old May 23rd, 2005, 12:04 PM
Senior Contributor - Expert

Please do not correct or startle this dog when he is doing this. This is not accidental peeing - it is intentional. If you scare him while he is SPing then it could get even worse.
A Belly band could save your carpet, but more time spent with your husband would actually be the ticket.
They need to establish a loving, trusting relationship. The dog needs to feel safe with him and not feel the need to over submit.
Your husband needs to ask this dog to do lots of things while they spend time together and softly reward the dog with praise & soft touch. We teach people to whisper their praises so the dog feels good. Some people have too much energy when they praise and that can even overwhelm a dog.
Imagine that you are a little boy and have an over bearing uncle. Every time he comes to dinner his loud deep voice, big body and dominant energy sets you off balance. You try to avoid his eye contact and shy away from being with him. If you spent more time with your uncle and learned that he really had a heart of gold and that his dominant energy was just his way - he would never dream of hurting you - then you would start to relax in his presence and learn that he's just a big guy with a big heart and nothing to fear.
*Tip - stroking a dog with your flat hand (like momma licking him) actually brings out calming chemicals in the dogs brain. Stroking over the eyes and between the eyes along the top of the nose is even better. Patting a dog has no value to a dog at all. Nothing in the natural world of dogs is like patting except body slams they give each other when playing. So hubby would do well to stroke a lot. He should invite the dog over to lay down and lay with him and give him a nice body massage while he talks to him softly. Let this dog know he can relax around your hubby.
Dog Training the Way Nature Intended
Old May 23rd, 2005, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Flower
no hee isnt nuetered...
Old April 28th, 2015, 02:59 PM

I get the feeling that this might not be a problem of house training. Dogs can be excessively submissive whenever they encounter their owners, peeing is one of the signs of submission. Your dog is probably still shy and lacks self confidence but since its only 10 months old, there is still room for improvement. He will gradually change as he grows older and gains courage and self confidence.