Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old August 5th, 2008, 06:04 PM

American Eskimo

Hi, I'm new here. I'm from Long Beach New York. Anyone else have an Eskie? She's started molting much earlier this year and is losing a lot of hair. Is this normal?

Last edited by belladog62; August 5th, 2008 at 06:08 PM.
Old August 6th, 2008, 11:41 AM
Senior Contributor

I have a 4 year and 4 month old small Standard American Eskimo - weighs 22 lbs. with the claws and jaws of death. I am adding the months because I keep hoping he will mature, but from what I have learned - Eskies are babies until the end. Re the molting, my guy has never actually had a real blow of his coat. I do have the tumbleweeds everywhere and my black clothes look like tweed, but if you check out the Eskimo specific board - www.eskie.net you will see people showing garbage bags full of fur - some say their dogs get practically naked. My Eskie has to be groomed more than the norm because the mats in the undercoat get bad - and they are the sort that you can't really feel - and being a boy he has a thick coat - and looks like a GIRL! Many of the male Eskies appear to be female - and he is very feminine except for his absolute love of rolling in mud. I have read that some Eskies do not start do blow in a normal fashion until they are older and others never do - and it could also depend on the weather and our lack of seasons they days. While I live in Toronto our weather is not that much different from yours and it was a horrible winter and so far a very wet summer. Actually, this week the tumbleweeds are a little worse than normal but still thick coat. His groomer uses the tool to thin out his undercoat and then tidies him up. Some people don't have their Eskies groomed at all except around the feet and private areas, but my pup would just be a mess otherwise. If you haven't checked out the Eskie board it wouldn't hurt - you can lurk - I seldom sign it - I just go to check out what is new - good and bad in Eskiedom. When my guy was 7 months he started to develop yellowing around his eyes - so I went on Eskie board and followed suggestion of bottled water - yellow was gone in a week and has never reappeared. Also found out that Eskies do well on fish based kibble - and has he was quite the smoother operator up to age 9 months when I switched him to Fromms Salmon A La Veg that was a good tip as well - and Fromms Four Star was not on the recall list. They are funny dogs to be sure - very interested in themselves - and having had Dachshunds until we adopted him, it took so doing to get used to those long legs hitting me in the face when he is going through an Eskie moment. Like many Eskies he loves his immediate family and a few select others and is a barking fool. I don't think you will find many pets.ca members who have Eskies. There was a poster with a female Eskie but she hasn't posted since last year and another formerly frequent poster who stopped posting as well. So I guess you need to get out that brush! If your dog has big teeth I feel your pain - my guy's canines hang out while he is sleeping and he can destroy a toy faster than a Rotti and has.