Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old July 13th, 2006, 11:02 AM

Training with Leash

I read in a book about training Papillons...

To put the dog on it's leash, attach the leash to you belt loop so the dog is always within about 6 feet of you (of course your height and the length of the leash will vary).
They said this is also good for companion training.

Looking for opinions here.

This is my problem.
Obviously if I have a Pap she is a little girl (5.5 lbs). She is 3 months old.
I know they say with crate training to only ley them out of the crate for a while after they have eliminated outside.
BUT this is killing me. We work all day, so little Abby girl is in her crate from 7:30am to about 3:00pm Monday through Friday. I hate to keep her crated 1/2 the evening too.
She will be a family girl... included in everything. But at her age she is very curious and wants to be all over the house. I am making the kids keep their doors closed. So really she only has axcess to the living room and the kitchen.
But because she is on 5 1/2 lbs she is able to get behind EVERYTHING.
She is exhausting me.
The way she behaves now it is VERY obvious that once we master potty training she is going to be a dream.
She is just wonderful. She is not bothering anything, not even my kids toys. She is chewing her bones, playing...
So I am thinking maybe this leash thing I read about works... has anyone tried it?????????????
Old July 13th, 2006, 11:30 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessymoka
BUT this is killing me. We work all day, so little Abby girl is in her crate from 7:30am to about 3:00pm Monday through Friday. I hate to keep her crated 1/2 the evening too.
whoa! this is not good for her. rule of thumb: crate dog for 1 hr per mth old. 3 mths old = 3 hrs MAXIMUM (at one time). Hire a dog walker, ask a trusted neighbor to check on her, have a family member come in, or send her to doggy daycare to break up her day. she needs potty breaks. a 3 mth old dog cannot be expected to hold it, and allowing her to eliminate in her crate will cause problems.

Quote:
But at her age she is very curious and wants to be all over the house. I am making the kids keep their doors closed. So really she only has axcess to the living room and the kitchen.
But because she is on 5 1/2 lbs she is able to get behind EVERYTHING.
She is exhausting me.
3 mth old pups do that. They ARE exhausting. keep her in the same room YOU are in. Baby gates help alot, and you must puppy proof the space she's allowed access to. stuff rolled towels, pillows, etc... behind objects so she can't get back there. crawl around on your hands and knees so you can SEE what she SEES.

Quote:
So I am thinking maybe this leash thing I read about works... has anyone tried it?????????????
I have never needed to. but if you can't watch her, then you must either keep her with you by a leash, or confine her in some way. Especially if she is still being housebroken.
Old July 13th, 2006, 02:04 PM
Owned by Saints

I agree with jessi76, Being crated for 8 hours at her age is too long.

The only other suggestion I could offer (other than the suggestions jessi76 mentioned) is an X-pen. This way IF she needed to potty she could do so without having to stay in the mess until you got home. Plus you could also leave water down for her..

As for leashing her to you... I let my new saint pup drag a 3 foot leash around instead of attaching her to me. If she tries to sneak off I can step on or grab the leash. Babygating her in the kitchen would be your best bet if you can. I can't since it's 7 feet from wall to wall, so I opted for the leash.