Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old October 1st, 2004, 08:13 AM
Senior Contributor

passers by

OMG, I am SOOOO frustrated!!! I've been working really hard with Brick on "heel", "leave it" and "come" while out walking in the morning and evening. I am so irritated by passers by, who don't understand, even after I tell them I'm training, that they need to just keep walking and not stop to pet Brick. Yeah he's cute and friendly, but damn, I'm trying to train him. He is TOO friendly and will step out of command to sniff and greet the people. What makes it worse is that they will pet him, even when I tell them I'm training him, please don't pet him. DO THEY NOT GET IT?????????????

I know that will come more and more with the training, but that is his biggest weakness. Its hard enough getting him to stay in command when we walk by a yard with dogs, its EVEN worse when they walk by us, or people walk by. It makes me frustrated and angry, then training isn't fun anymore, so I go home - which isn't fair to Brick (or my ass that I'm trying to lose!!).

Arghhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!! Just my vent for the morning!!!!!
1 very mean tiger barb (who killed all of our other fish)
3 leopard geckos - Dave, Jenn & Jane (gone back to their original owner)

GONE TO CRITTER HEAVEN:
1 house gecko - George (RIP)
2 giant african land snailS - Kaimah (RIP) & Kamau (RIP)
2 baby african land snails - Tiny & Pokey (RIP)
1 Veiled Chameleon - Chip (RIP)
Old October 1st, 2004, 09:51 AM
Senior Contributor

Surely this is part of his training, if you're going to have him out and about. Maybe you should incorporate it, making him sit when people approach him.
Old October 1st, 2004, 03:42 PM
Animal Lover!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catt31
OMG, I am SOOOO frustrated!!! I've been working really hard with Brick on "heel", "leave it" and "come" while out walking in the morning and evening. I am so irritated by passers by, who don't understand, even after I tell them I'm training, that they need to just keep walking and not stop to pet Brick. Yeah he's cute and friendly, but damn, I'm trying to train him. He is TOO friendly and will step out of command to sniff and greet the people. What makes it worse is that they will pet him, even when I tell them I'm training him, please don't pet him. DO THEY NOT GET IT?????????????

I know that will come more and more with the training, but that is his biggest weakness. Its hard enough getting him to stay in command when we walk by a yard with dogs, its EVEN worse when they walk by us, or people walk by. It makes me frustrated and angry, then training isn't fun anymore, so I go home - which isn't fair to Brick (or my ass that I'm trying to lose!!).

Arghhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!! Just my vent for the morning!!!!!
YES!!!! I completely understand! they do the same to Solara, and drives me nuts. She loves ppl, too much especially kids, and will do anything to get over to them, including choking herself on her leash....sigh. And then there's the whole jumping issue. I am trying to train her not to jump on ppl "off", and it works with me, she doesn't jump on me too much anymore, slowly but surley. However other ppl just say "oh, it's ok, she's just a puppy".."oh your mama is mean huh?" etc etc....drives me nuts! I've trained the kids in the neighborhood that they are not allowed to come near her on the start of her walk, but on the way back, if I say yes, then they can...LOL
Talon 7yrs - Male
My Little Chocolate Girl - Solara - ** 10 MONTHS **
Old October 1st, 2004, 03:43 PM
Animal Lover!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger
Surely this is part of his training, if you're going to have him out and about. Maybe you should incorporate it, making him sit when people approach him.
Solara is 13 weeks, and will not sit when ppl approach her, but we're working on it!
Talon 7yrs - Male
Old October 1st, 2004, 04:50 PM
Senior Contributor

Yes it IS part of his training, but no matter how hard we work on it, people come up and totally interrupt. He will heel perfectly if no one or no dogs are coming towards us, as soon as that happens he loses his focus. I KNOW we have to keep working on it, and it wil take time, I just needed to vent!!!

Maybe I will try getting him to sit on the grass - off the sidewalk - while they pass by, facing the other way. Our trainer said to turn and go the other way when he isn't listening, so I will try that too!! Sighhhh!!!!

GONE TO CRITTER HEAVEN:
Old October 1st, 2004, 08:21 PM

That's what we learned in Puppy K. When someone approaches, ask them to give you a second to get the pup to sit before they pet him/her. Tell them he/she's in training, and that they're to stop petting the pup if he/she gets up at any time. Most people will be thrilled that they're "helping" you train the pup! Even the kids at the school bus stop are in on the training now, and they tell her to sit before I even get the chance.
Old October 2nd, 2004, 10:34 AM
Senior Contributor

Yeah, tried that too....people can be soooo dumb!!! GRRRRR!!!!

GONE TO CRITTER HEAVEN:
Old October 2nd, 2004, 03:55 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh,Oh,I am one of those offenders,love to pet strange dogs,but only if I am allowed too
Old October 3rd, 2004, 09:14 AM
Senior Contributor

LMAO chico....I am too, but now that I have a dog that I'm trying to train, I always ask first!! I just wish more people would be considerate like us!!!

GONE TO CRITTER HEAVEN:
Old October 3rd, 2004, 10:25 AM

In the case of "persistent petters", I have to physically separate the person from my dog. I'll actually step in front of the person, holding the pup on a short leash behind me (she almost always sits for petting, but when someone comes at her squealing about how cute she is, she usually can't help herself and then starts wiggling all over the place ). When that finally gets their attention (because at this point they're wondering what the heck is wrong with me) then I can tell them about the training situation. It happens to all of us, I think, especially those of us with young puppies - they're so irresistable!
Old October 3rd, 2004, 02:24 PM
Animal Lover!!

Before we got Solara, I'm sure I was one "of those" annoying ppl! Who would just go right ahead and pet the dog, without any consideration for the dog, although I would ask, but usually while the dog was already slobbering all over me
Talon 7yrs - Male