Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old October 24th, 2008, 12:24 AM

Red face Bluetick coonhound help!!!

I have a bluetick coonhound,male, born on feb11,2008 he is so hyper it is driving everyone crazy.. He belongs to my 15 year old son, who taught him how to playfootball and ride a skateboard. He is generaly a good dog, but lately he is a big pain in the patutty. He is constantly whining thru his nose, and barking so loud it hurts your ears. He runs thru the house like a nascar driver, or his taik is on fire. He was easy to train but know it is like he is brainless. Any help is greatly appreciated... I live in azle texas if that helps.
Old October 24th, 2008, 05:41 AM

Excersize. Excersize. Excersize.
A tired dog..is a happy, well behaved dog.
A larger dog like yours should be walked for a MINIMUM of 20-45mins...at a MINIMUM of once a day.
It sounds to me like he is just acting out, he's bored, and doesnt know any other way to get out his pent up energy.
Your son skate boards? Train the dog to pull him on it! Only after he's trained a command to STOP running too... ( Images of a 15yr old flying through the air, Not pretty)
Hounds are used for tacking...so in the best circumstances, when hunting, they are usually at a very brisk walk or trot, or running, for HOURS...
And if you havent already, obedience classes are great! Check your local animal shelter, Most SPCAs offer low cost obedience classes.
Mako - Black and white DLH Cat ( found at work one day )
Expression - National Show Horse - 12-15 yrs old.

"The best kisses come from my puppy "
"There are NO bad dogs, Just bad Owners "
BAN BSL!!!
Old October 24th, 2008, 05:42 AM

Question. Is it a bluetick mix...or a Blue heeler mix...your other thread said blue heeler....
Mako - Black and white DLH Cat ( found at work one day )
Expression - National Show Horse - 12-15 yrs old.

"The best kisses come from my puppy "
"There are NO bad dogs, Just bad Owners "
BAN BSL!!!
Old October 24th, 2008, 08:32 AM
Senior Contributor

I agree tons of exercise sounds like the right way to go. If he has that much energy he needs to exert it somewhere. AmericanBullmom is right a tired dog is a happy dog.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old October 24th, 2008, 09:07 AM
Mom of Cody and Nova

Definitely sounds like he needs more exercise. I agree with AmericanBullMom. If he's running around the house, thats definitely a sign he's got too much energy, and needs to burn it off.
Old November 7th, 2008, 06:09 PM

I've got a Bluetick too. His name is Leo and we think he's pure bred - he was a rescue pup, but he looks pretty textbook - he's about 5. Got him about 3 months ago. I take him for a 45-60 minute walk most every day, and on the days I don't take him, I can tell. He does the same stuff - nose whining, and tear-assing thru the house, and general restlessness! He doesn't howl very often inside, though - hopefully yours will grow out of that with age. But, I have to agree with the others - exercise, and a chance for him to use that sniffer, works wonders.

Another game I like to play with him is, we've got a fairly decent sized yard (Leo is trained to our invisible fence) and when I let him out, I sometimes hide treats and other yummies around the yard. He loves to sniff around and 'hunt' for them. I started out hiding stuff in the same 2-3 places, and gradually branched out and now I just toss stuff all around the yard. Keeps him on his toes. Also, I'm working on teaching Leo to retrieve - he didn't come knowing how to 'fetch' but I we're working up to that - will be a great way to give him some extra exercise. Since yours already knows how to play football, this should be easy!

My experience with my coonhounds is that they are very smart - yours sounds like no exception - and Leo and I have done very well in obedience classes. We're on 'level 2' and doing well, and are working toward possibly some obedience competitions - in time, in time... Some have suggested agility classes, which we may embark on eventually as well.

Anyway, bottom line is, I've found you have to keep these precious doggies occupied, both mentally and physically. They are smart, and are born hunters, and they like to cover ground (walks). For example, Leo is currently, as I type, trying to extract his dinner (kibble) out of some puzzle contraption for dogs that makes him 'think' and work for his dinner - keeps him busy, thinking and problem-solving for a good 35 minutes, instead of him wolfing down his dinner in 35 seconds.

Best of luck, and be sure to enjoy your coonhound - they are the sweetest, most loving and loyal doggies (in my completely unbiased opinion) out there!
Old November 19th, 2008, 01:56 AM

Your boy is still a puppy!

Hi! You're not far from us, we're in north texas/montague county!

Anyway, your dog is still a puppy, he's not even a year old & I'm guessing that in another year or two you'll wonder if that's the same dog unless he's a blue heeler mix? And like others have said, he needs more exercise, and preferably outside.

We've been gifted a wonderful girl-bluetick coonhound by some unknown entity... she showed up in our neighborhood starving (and shivering, it wasn't cold), scratched up & pregnant and now she's healthy & we have 10 puppies.

I'm wondering about you saying he's hyper: our girl is anything BUT hyper except for the occasional moments when she has to let us know that someone is outside or has to let one of our other dogs know that they're crossing a line that they shouldn't (like trying to get her rawhide bone).. she's been examined by a vet so we know there's nothing wrong with her... on the nicer days, I'll try to take her out for longish walks...

She doesn't seem interested in playing very much & looks at me like I have 2 heads when I try dancing with her, but she puts up with it... ... oh well! She does enjoy eating & chewing on stuff...and baying if something is going on outside!

Hope that helps!

Jessica

PS I found this forum by doing a search "will coonhounds fetch"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornetmom View Post
I have a bluetick coonhound,male, born on feb11,2008 he is so hyper it is driving everyone crazy.. He belongs to my 15 year old son, who taught him how to playfootball and ride a skateboard. He is generaly a good dog, but lately he is a big pain in the patutty. He is constantly whining thru his nose, and barking so loud it hurts your ears. He runs thru the house like a nascar driver, or his taik is on fire. He was easy to train but know it is like he is brainless. Any help is greatly appreciated... I live in azle texas if that helps.

Last edited by patchworkgirl; November 19th, 2008 at 01:57 AM. Reason: typo
Old November 19th, 2008, 06:33 PM

will coonhounds fetch??

Patchwork - I'm wondering the same thing? I've been trying to teach my bluetick to fetch for a few weeks now. We've progressed to the point that I can get him to put a stick in his mouth, but only if I'm holding it!! If I toss it, or even put it on the floor in front of him, he looks at ME like I have two heads... We will continue working on this though, as I'm told that teaching any dog to fetch (if they don't naturally do it) it a pretty advanced thing, for both dog and trainer.

Ours came to us much the same as yours did - 20lbs thinner than he is now, sick and exhausted (not pregnant though - phew!). We've nursed him back to health and fattened him up maybe a little too much and now we can't imagine life without him!

Sorry if I've 'jacked' this thread with this post, but, it's not very often we find talk of blueticks on here, and I just LOVE to talk about mine!!
Attached Images

Old November 19th, 2008, 07:24 PM

Well, it's like that email that I'm sure most of us have seen about dogs & lightbulbs... (just google "dogs light bulbs" without the quotes...) our dogs might fit the following profiles for light bulb changing:

DOBERMAN PINSCHER: While it's dark, I'm going to sleep on the sofa.
IRISH WOLFHOUND: Can somebody else do it? I've got this hangover and..........
HOUND DOG: ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Only in the case of playing fetch, their attitude might be "if you wanted the ball so bad, why'dja throw it?"

Here's a couple of photos from my Flickr page...

It'll be interesting to see if the puppies are interested in fetching. It's anyone's guess as to what type of dog(s) their father(s) might be..