Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Gardening

Old July 3rd, 2007, 03:56 PM
Senior Contributor

Some of my Lillies...

There are only 2 that are not blooming yet,a deep red and a pink one,it's too bad they bloom such a short time...the yellow Stella d'Oro blooms all summer though.
Attached Images

Old July 3rd, 2007, 03:59 PM
Senior Contributor

A couple more,including the Stella.
Also a pic of some of my pots,OMG are they blooming!!It must be because huby waters them every morning
Attached Images

Old July 3rd, 2007, 04:03 PM
Young at Heart

Beautiful lilies, Chico - what is the last one?

I was about to post some of my lillies and saw your post, so here are some shots of a couple of mine..
Attached Images

Old July 3rd, 2007, 04:06 PM
Senior Contributor

The last one is the Stella D'Oro(I think they are called)and they bloom all summer long
That pinkish white one you have is beautiful!!
Old July 3rd, 2007, 05:57 PM
Young at Heart

Isn't that a beauty? I have no idea what it's name is though

There are more in my front yard that are late bloomers - I'll get pix of them when they do bloom - right now they are about 5' tall... it seems each year they get taller..
Old July 3rd, 2007, 06:02 PM

wow gorgeous!! both of you -- those are some really nice lilies... And chico -- your pots look stunning!!! Good hubby for watering.

Ooooh I'm feeling jealous again... I'll have no lily blooms other than my big Stellas and the dwarf Stellas like you have, chico -- not until around September!
The heat and humidity is just too much for the next couple of months! I'll just enjoy yours in the meantime!!!

http://www.vasavana.blogspot.com
Old July 3rd, 2007, 06:09 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh this thread is just to make me feel bad! We just moved into our new house over winter and a neighbour has been helping me to put in a few plants. I planted four Cala Lilly plants along the front and some Dalia's (sorry if I spelled all of those wrong... I'm not a gardener really - but more than BF is okay). Anyhow, last night said BF went outside and mowed the lawn and took out one of the Dalia's. Then went out with the weed wacker and actually wacked off two of my Lillies - Flowers and all!!! I was stunned and devastated! He's not a dumb fellow, I don't know how he could not have known he was going to do that! I was afraid to go and look at my little Lilac plants for fear they were decapitated as well (they were fine though). I don't think I'll bother planting more just now - he wants to build a deck around where the Cala Lillies are and he'll just kill them. In fact I think I'll go and move the two survivors and the Dalia's this weekend (and fence them in somewhere....) Oh sorry - the flowers are fabulous! Our old house had lovely gardens, but the new one is all a new work in progress (some of it backwards apparently.)
Old July 3rd, 2007, 09:09 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Beautiful lilies!!!! I only have day lilies (I think) and maybe a Stella d'Oro...but I'm not sure about that, either, since last year it only bloomed through July and I thought a Stella d'Oro was supposed to bloom all summer

Both types are just beginning to bloom now. Does this look like it could be a Stella d'Oro?

Name:  Garden 2007 - Stella d'oro lilies 6-22-07.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  91.4 KB

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 4th, 2007, 07:27 AM
Senior Contributor

Yes Hazel it does,but I am certainly no expert,I put things in the ground,water it and it grows
I have a corner in my backyard where nothing survived,it's now filled with Lillies for the last few years,it seems they are unkillable,unless you have a BF with a weedwhacker
Old July 4th, 2007, 03:15 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks Chico Yes death by weedwacker - it was not a pretty sight. I do seem to recall somewhere in the recess of my brain him saying he doesn't like to mow the lawn.... So will my lillies come back? One has a few little leaves left so I figure it will start over - the other is chopped right off to about one inch above the ground.
Old July 4th, 2007, 03:30 PM
Senior Contributor

DD,they'll be back,but probably not before next year:sad:
We finally had some much needed RAIN today,the grass will be turning green again
Old July 4th, 2007, 03:42 PM

Hey DD -- it depends on weather and all that, I'm sure.. But I cut most of my daylilies back during the middle of this month (cause the leaves get rather ratty) completely to the ground every year. The greenery comes back nice and bushy by September (fewer blooms than spring/summer though)... I cut them again to the ground after the first cold snap... and get nice new growth every spring. So you can always pretend your BF did a great service with the weedwhacker by simply cutting them back for you, right?

Old July 4th, 2007, 03:45 PM
Senior Contributor

I too cut mine down once there are only stalks left,the Day-Lily leaves I leave,since they are not stalky and they fill up my unsightly corner nicely.
Old July 4th, 2007, 03:48 PM
Young at Heart

I thank you for the "cutting down the lillies" advice - I haven't cut mine down but I will this year and see whap happens.. I always thought they needed to feed off the foliage to grow and thrive for next year...
Old July 4th, 2007, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
I too cut mine down once there are only stalks left,the Day-Lily leaves I leave,since they are not stalky and they fill up my unsightly corner nicely.
I was wondering about whether or not you cut yours, chico! Even the leaves get rather sparse and crinkly and brown on mine by this time of year -- so usually I trim off the whole thing but I would love it if I could keep them the whole time. I like the daylily leaves.

Old July 4th, 2007, 11:43 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Quote:
Yes Hazel it does,but I am certainly no expert,I put things in the ground,water it and it grows
Chico, you must have the magic touch! I put things in the ground, water them, and watch them rot... Not the greatest gardener in the world. I always hope that it rains enough so that I don't have to try to decide when the appropriate time to water would be. (Always dangerous to let hazel use the hose )

Our day lilies stay pretty green well into fall, pags. I usually leave them to fill up the holes in my gardens (of which there are many due to hazel's moldy thumb), but if it would get me two blossomings a year, I'd sure be willing to try cutting them back. Only, I don't know if they'd have time to bloom again--they've just gotten started now and likely won't be done for at least another couple of weeks... Think if I cut them back in the beginning of August they'd be ready to bloom again in Sept?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 5th, 2007, 06:51 AM
Senior Contributor

Hazel,I've been told I've got"a green finger" hubby beeing from France sometimes gets English sayings wrong,part of his charm
Anyways,Daylillies grow wild too and I honestly think they'll come back whether you trim the leaves back or not.
All my other perennials and I have a lot,get cut back in the spring.
Old July 5th, 2007, 11:26 AM

Hazel -- chico's absolutely right. There's no need at all to cut your daylilies back if yours are staying green through fall. It won't 'force bloom' or anything.
I only cut mine back because they get pretty messy by mid-summer -- they continuously bloom but it's like there's no energy for the leaves anymore... so they get really sparse and yellow and dead. I'll have to take a picture and show you.

But right! Like chico said.. daylilies are naturalizing... you can set them free in the country-side and the spread and bloom with absolutely no help from us.

I just like to interfere!

Old July 5th, 2007, 04:11 PM
Senior Contributor

Here is my reddish one,just opened up after our much needed rain
Attached Images

Old July 5th, 2007, 04:16 PM
Senior Contributor

Here are a couple of pics of my organized messy perennial garden,so far only the Lillies,the Hostas and the Shasta Daisies are blooming,waiting for the Purple Cone-Flower,Balloon flower,Butterfly bushes,Hibiscuses,Black Eyed Susans and a few others I don't know the name of to bloom.
OOPS,there are the kitties waiting for treats,no seatcushions,it was going to rain..
Attached Images

Old July 5th, 2007, 04:45 PM
Young at Heart

Your garden is beautiful, Chico - lots of different, interesting and beautiful plants!
Old July 5th, 2007, 04:50 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh, your garden is BEAUTIFUL! I love the flowers baskets on the patio too! Sooo pretty! That's what I'm trying to work towards with my yard. Want to come over with your magic green finger? But seriously, WOW! I am envious!
Old July 6th, 2007, 07:04 AM
Senior Contributor

Smiley,it started with a small garden of perennials,hubby dug out some of the grass and then every year he dug some more and it got bigger and bigger
You'll get there too,it's a lot of fun,thank's for the compliments
Old July 6th, 2007, 10:16 AM

Ah chico -- it's so pretty... the lily, the perennial garden, the containers, the kitties!! Everything's so healthy and robust! Beautiful!

Old July 6th, 2007, 11:01 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I love those red lilies, Chico. Are they day lilies, too?

Do I need to deadhead my Stella D'oro? I didn't last year--could that be why it stopped blooming at the end of July?

Old July 7th, 2007, 06:37 AM
Senior Contributor

Hazel,I am the deadhead queen
I firmly believe ALL flowers need to be deadheaded,that's my garden-chore every morning....the Stella is soo easy,just snip the dead ones off and when there are no more buds on the stem,cut it down and you probably will get new flowers.
The red Lillies,the yellow and white ones are the ones that grow on a single stem,not with the long masses of leaves like the Day Lily and Stella.
Old July 14th, 2007, 04:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Here is my double day-lily,just opened today and my little Balloon-Flower..
Attached Images

Old July 15th, 2007, 03:03 AM

Quote:
and my little Balloon-Flower..
This one's cute - love the colour

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old July 16th, 2007, 11:18 AM
Senior Contributor

Three lillies down and one left to go! BF had to mow the lawn again. He's very helpful! I finally had to uproot all three decapitated lillies and the one remaining leafy lilly and put them all where the grass don't grow. Hopefully they'll be back next year. All the other flowers here are lovely. Perhaps one day I'll get to have such lovelies too. Oh yeah, we're looking into hiring someone else to do the lawn...
Old July 16th, 2007, 12:28 PM
Senior Contributor

Ugh! I'm so jealous!!! I haven't had a single flower yet this year (other than wild daisy's in the lawn) and i'm dying for a little colour around here.

Chico your garden is awesome! So orderly and tame.

Nice to see what balloon flower is supposed to look like....

I don't understand perennials around here...I buy ones that say "grow to 12-18" and they end up more like 6". The ones that say "height 6-10" grow to 24". Shade loving plants die in the shade but thrive in sun. Planning is impossible - I just plant wherever and now have to go on major transplant spree (you do that in the fall right??)
and love for my "lost ones" - Misery, Clover & the girls (chickens)