Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old November 22nd, 2012, 12:12 PM

Arrow Cat Insurance - Worth It?

Hello all!

Firstly, I'm new to these forums! So I'd like to say hello to everyone.

I acquired my first cat ever about a year ago and his name is Neffer! He is a Devon Rex / Sphynx mix.

Just a few days ago I saw he peed out some blood so I took him to the vet. He's got Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease, which I believe is quite common with Male Cats. The bill was $210 but she also suggested that I should get his teeth cleaned for $400 due to the Stage 1 tartar buildup. She recommended I might look into pet insurance, but I'm a little hesitant based on my research.

Firstly, I assume all insurance companies are out to make money......and probably would find a million reasons to deny my claims.

Secodly, I'm also assuming there's no way they would cover his 'dental cleaning', so I'm starting to think I should avoid the insurance and just bite the bullet on vet bills.

Finally, my parents just had their 8 year old Matlese's teeth removed due to an infection. The operation cost them $800. Now to me, I think it's quite unnatural to have to get your pet's teeth professionally cleaned. They don't do it in nature...and although I understand that a handful of animals probably die due to infections in their gums, I feel like spending $400 every 1 1/2 years is far too expensive. I also feel like his teeth will be completely fine! I feed him really good food, and sure, I'll also take the step to cleaning his teeth when I can, but as long as he isn't in pain due to his dirty teeth... I see no reason to get them professionally done.

Alright this turned into somewhat of a rant but I'd appreciate anyone's feedback. I'm new to cats

Thanks in advance!
Attached Images

Tags
cat, insurance