Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old September 6th, 2004, 05:30 PM

Question Please help!!

i have a new member to my family a Husky named Kemo,she is 7. At first she had no problem when i would take her for a walk but for the passed week she refuses to go out more then once in the morning.Now she wont do her number 2 outside. She is also very scared and jumpy around men could this mean she was beatin what can i do to make her feel more at home, and less nervous?
Old September 8th, 2004, 11:28 AM
Senior Contributor

First of all, thank you for adopting an older dog!!

Has she gone out alone in your yard since you got her? Could something out there have scared her? Has she had a complete checkup at the vet?

Will she go in the yard on a leash with you? Put her leash on, and entice her out with a happy voice - "Let's GO!!" and if she takes a step outside, praise and give her a treat. Never force her to go out - just try and encourage her. Never comfort her when she acts afraid, as she will see that as praise for acting that way. Does she like toys or balls? Try throwing one outside for her.

Yes, she could very well have been abused by a man in the past. If you have a man living in the house or coming to visit, have them completely ignore her, and give them treats to toss her, still without looking at her. Hopefully she will learn that they are not a threat. Never let a man approach her - let her go to them.
Old September 9th, 2004, 09:53 AM

Thumbs up thank you for advice

i live in an appartment so we have no yard.i walk he in the front on a leash.she doesnt like toys or balls shes very calm she only gets excited when we come home. i live with my boyfriend he seems to be the only male she trusts.
i have been trying the nice voice thing and going down the stairs she is now following me if i go down the stairs first. It seems she doesnt want to go out if someone in the building is cooking something with a strong oder, or if people are in the hall.
Shes a great dog and the more advise y'all can give me to make her life with me better would be great. thank you and keep the advice comin ill try to help y'all to
Old September 9th, 2004, 10:24 AM
Senior Contributor

OH I see. She is probably scared and confused at the apartment situation. She may have never been in one, and the hallways and all the noises and strange smells are probably spooking her. The unknown is often scary for dogs.

Just keep doing it the way you are, happy high voice, encouragement and lots of praise. She'll get used to it in no time, but you must always be patient.

Does she know any obedience? If so, you can try having her "Sit" if you think she may be getting nervous in the hall. IF she sits and doesn't act afraid, praise, treat and move on if she is willing. For the treats, use something fantastic and ONLY give her this special treat (something she really loves) when she is in the hallway and not acting afraid. Hopefully this will convince her that the hall is a good thing!

If you see men on the street, do the same thing. Sit, good girl, treat. Do not allow any men to approach her.

She sounds like a lovely dog. Do you have a picture of her?
Old September 9th, 2004, 10:49 AM

Question the rain storms

I wish i did have a picture, when i get one i will post it, shes been getting better, she gets treats when she gets home from her walk too.
but now it seems shes a snob...lol...she hates the rain, i get her down the stairs out the door and as soon as a rain drop hits her she looks up at me sits down and wont move until i open the door to the apartment building then shes up the stairs once again. Im wondering if this winter (i live in quebec)
will there be more problems because of the snow.
Old September 9th, 2004, 11:05 AM
Senior Contributor

My dog refuses to step outside if it's raining as well. It's as though she fears she'll melt.

I live in Quebec too, and I'm sure you'll have NO problem with the snow! Huskies are "snow dogs" and not "rain dogs".
Old September 9th, 2004, 01:44 PM

my princess

well i hope my little princess loves the snow, i'll just have to wait and see