Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old October 11th, 2005, 05:50 PM

2 year old dog weeing in house

Can anyone help?
I have 3 labrador retrievers, the mother and her 2 x 2yr olds,
bitch & dog, the girls are no problem, the dog will pee up against my cooker even though the door to outside is open, and up against their sofa, I am getting to the end of my teather.
When the "pups" are in our bedroom at night they are great, they will sleep on their mats and wait to go out when we get up, but barkley will insist on peeing up the cooker or sofa sometime during the day.
Any advice would be really helpful.
Old October 11th, 2005, 06:07 PM
-

Have you used anything to remove all the smells in your home. That would be the first step. Are any of them fixed?
Old October 11th, 2005, 06:19 PM

Hi,
the girls are fixed, Barkley no, I don't really want to do this unless I have to. is there any proof that castration would stop this?
I have tried all sorts of cleaning products, sprays, vinegar, even scent off which is a garden product. "he know's he's done it", and I don't believe in hitting them.
Old October 11th, 2005, 06:27 PM
Senior Contributor

Intact males are notorious for marking in the house. It's just their nature.

You're right - hitting him for doing this - or anything else - would be very wrong.

Neutering should help this problem but it won't happen overnight. YOu may need to use a "belly band" to get him over this habit.

Purely out of curiousity, why don't you want to neuter him?
Old October 11th, 2005, 06:34 PM

It's the same old thing!!!!!!!!! he belongs to my husband, and he would like to keep his bits intacked if possible, but will agree to it if all else fails.
he doesn't do it anywhere else in the house, only the same 2 places.
Old October 11th, 2005, 06:44 PM
-

It is quite possible that he is marking in the home. If the females are also not fixed will make it worse. You could tell your husband that not getting the dogs fixed will shorten their life expectancy because they are more likely to develop cancer, for example prostate. If he is really stuck on seeing them it is possible to get implants(no joke).
Old October 12th, 2005, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaceyB
If he is really stuck on seeing them it is possible to get implants(no joke).
Yes, they're called "Neuticals". The inventor just won a nobel prize. Nobody has to know! And your doggy would probably behave better, probably run away less, be less aggressive for sure, stop peeing in the house, and his urine will smell way less pungent. That's all on top of reducing his risk of cancers of the reproductive system (testicular, prostate, etc).
Old October 12th, 2005, 12:10 PM

I thank you all for your help, it's nice to know that there are people out there that can give good advice.
we are all due at the vets next week for boosters, so I will enquire about the "Neuticals", I don't know if our vets over here in the UK do them, but I know something has to be done, bless him!! he's so loving " Barkley".
And no one will know only us.
Thanks again
Old October 12th, 2005, 02:12 PM
Senior Contributor

My gawd, what is it with men? What is their obsession with dog testicles?? Do they have some impact on their own masculinity?

Tell your husband dogs don't sit around dreaming about sexual encounters - they just do what nature impels them to do.

If his dog having testicles is more important to him than preventing having furniture ruined,what can you do?
Old October 13th, 2005, 03:48 PM

I feel that alot of men think that if "their" dog have no danglies, he's not a man's dog!, lol. But it's ok for us girls to have "our" bitches seen to, because that's what women do! The man walks his dog in the park with a large pair of danglies and feels proud of the fact,.......... a man walking his neutered dog in the park........"In the dark"!!!!! so becomes unnoticed, lol.... what a strange world we live in...
Old October 13th, 2005, 05:02 PM

Neuticals . . . that is too funny!

Someone at work had this problem with her two dogs (both intact males) marking on her chairs and walls. She got them neutered and they stopped. Neutered dogs are just less prone to mark.

~LM~
Old October 18th, 2005, 04:28 PM

Good evening all,
just to keep you all up to date.....
we all went to the vets this eveing for our booster jabs, how good were they, and got a biscuit from the vet too..
the vet has convinced my husband to have "his" lad's nads removed, he goes for the deed next wednesday at 9.10am.....
will keep you informed.
Thanks all again for advice.
Old October 18th, 2005, 04:35 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

lol, tell your hubby to head off to the pub and raise a pint for Lad. That's great he's getting neutered!
Old October 18th, 2005, 05:11 PM

The best happened at the vets,
I wonder if this has happened to anyone else?????
We walked into the vets, Barkley with my husband, Sapphire with me,
checked in at the desk, I turned round to this terrible smell only to see that Barkley had messed all over the floor like a crop cycle!!!!
Oh my god!! shouted my husband "YOUR'E" dog has just crapped on the floor, do something! QUICK!!!!!!, ( husband now in panic mode )

I did, I burst out laughing!!!! I couldn't help it!!!

There was my husband with "his" dog, coming into see the vet about having "his" dog's nads removed, and now because the dog has messed in the vet he becomes mine!
"NOT" his dog.... Ummmmmm!!! something wrong here.
In the end I was to blame for driving us round to the vets and talking about Barkley and castration...meaning I scared him, causing him to have an upset stomach.
Never mind all sorted in the end..
Old October 19th, 2005, 06:03 AM
-

Hey isn't that always the case. The same occurs with children. So how are your guys doing. It sounds as if your husband was more stressed that the dog was but I am glad he made the decision to have this done.
Old October 21st, 2005, 10:48 AM

OHHHH BELLY BAND!!!!! Worked for us!!!!!!!!
Old October 30th, 2005, 07:25 AM

Just to let you all know, Barkley went to the vets to have the deed done,
my husband had a call to say that Barkley had a fit before he was operated on. But was fine afterwards, the operation went ahead, but they used a different anaesthetic incase he had another fit.
He came home later in the day, quiet but ok.
Blood tests have been done to check on the fits.
Barkley has had a few fits before at home, and been taken to the vets about them,they tested him to see what was causing them but found nothing!.
We now have to keep a diary for him for when or if he fits again, and let the vet know.
Old October 30th, 2005, 07:48 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Glad Barkley made it through surgery fine. Hope his seizures do not become more frequent.
Old December 30th, 2005, 06:42 AM

Well it works!!!!!
No more weeing up anything in my kitchen, what a difference it makes to have a dog neutered, he's the same loving boy, I recommend this to anyone that has had similar problems with their dog.
Happy New Year to you all.
Old December 30th, 2005, 07:27 AM
Senior Contributor

I missed this thread before. Yeaa for Barkley! He won't miss them! How are the seizures? Has the vet found the cause?
Old December 30th, 2005, 08:26 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mills.val
Well it works!!!!!
No more weeing up anything in my kitchen, what a difference it makes to have a dog neutered, he's the same loving boy, I recommend this to anyone that has had similar problems with their dog.
Happy New Year to you all.
Happy New Year to you too! I'm glad your house is no longer being used as a fire hydrant!
Old December 30th, 2005, 08:36 AM
-

yeah, what a great ending. We love when this happens. Did you find out what was causing his "fits". They can be very scary for both of you.