Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old July 13th, 2012, 08:08 PM

thunder shirts /vest

This vest can be purchased a most animal stores, Pet Smart, Pet Valu, and what it does is calms your dog down if he/she shows anxiety during thunder storms, fireworks, loud noises. I have a very skiddish dog, and recently purchased the vest. It is like a blanket that is warn around the dogs bod and acts like a security blanket. Like a baby that is wrapped in a tight blanket. It is 100% guaranteed, and so far, i'm satisfied.
Attached Images

Old July 13th, 2012, 10:32 PM
Senior Contributor

Terrie, thanks for putting a photo up of this vest, and your lovely dog. I've heard of the vests down here in Oz but had never seen one before. I missed a LOT of dog shows back when I was campaigning my first Ch cattle dog simply because she was terrified of thunder, we just stayed home for her sake. Not saying I'd have taken her along if we'd had the vests back then but she could have been a lot happier even here at home in one of them. Thinking about my current dog pack ....hmmm.... no, wouldn't need one now. I started making a big deal of thunder storms back when my boldest sheltie was alive, yelling "Yay! Get after it!' every time Tammy would get excited and start to bark. It became a great game and now even Dundee, scared to start with, is fine. Come to think of it, maybe I helped teach them to BARK? ROFL.
Old July 13th, 2012, 11:23 PM

I have only heard good things about them. One friend had one for her very thunder sensitive dog and it worked great until the dog ate it :P she ended up doing some home version and had similar good effects.
Old July 14th, 2012, 07:47 AM

You are welcome Goldfields, his parents are
Police digs so you would think hearing loud
Noises wouldnt fizz him but I will try anything
To make him comfy, he would do the same
For me :0),
Old July 14th, 2012, 09:00 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choochi View Post
I have only heard good things about them. One friend had one for her very thunder sensitive dog and it worked great until the dog ate it :P
That is so funny, Choochi.

I think Terrie that some dogs have (what's the word?) super acute hearing, or that's the conclusion I came to when Shady was freaked out by certain sounds. She wasn't a scared dog in any other way , just thunder/fireworks etc. terrified her. I myself have hearing that is better in one ear than the other and if anyone yells on the wrong side of me they'd have to duck or I'd slam them one. It hurts my ear! Dogs are so much more sensitive, you could train a dog whispering commands to it and that would work as well, probably better, than shouting at it.
Choochi, I know this vest would be a sort of security blanket, just hadn't ever seen the design or what they are made of. They remind me of that 'suit' our top racehorse wore, Black Caviare, when she was flown to England, although that of course had other properties that were very important.
Old July 14th, 2012, 09:04 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh, interestingly enough, my one boy who was scared of thunder, Dundee, is the dog that was born with birth defects and as a youngster I know he was totally deaf in one ear, in fact the inner ear looked under-developed. Chances are that his hearing may be better in his one good ear, hence the noise startling him. He used to have trouble as a baby knowing where a sound came from, again, with thunder, maybe another worry for him?
Old October 2nd, 2012, 07:11 AM

Thunder Shirts

I tried a thundershirt with my 9 y/o golden to help her not be so afraid of everything. No help whatsoever

Tried with my 4 y/o rottie to help her calm down, as advised by a behaviorist, No help either.
Old October 2nd, 2012, 12:12 PM
Senior Contributor

The shirts don't help Simon or Jessie.
Old October 2nd, 2012, 01:52 PM
Senior Contributor

They do not work for every dog unfortunately. For those of you that the Thundershirts did not work you can donate them to a shelter and get a full refund from Thundershirt Company. You just need to get a receipt from the shelter and forward it to the company.