Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old December 17th, 2009, 08:30 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

for the new med regimen!

I'm looking forward to the pictures, too!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old December 17th, 2009, 09:01 PM

Mollie weighs 24 lbs and he started her on 30 mg once a day, she can smell the pill in the pill pocket (its huge) and she nibbles around it. I've had to coat it with butter and shove it down her twice, which I hate doing. Shes on pain pills and antibiotics, hopefully when they're done she won't be so suspicious of the pill pockets
Old December 22nd, 2009, 03:05 AM
-

Leprchn, how is Kira doing?
Old December 25th, 2009, 08:26 PM

New dosage, starting with 10 mg a day and building up from there. The vet also put her on antibiotics 'cause of the diarrhea, although that pretty much resolved itself on its own.

She's eating, but not as much as she used to. The antibiotics are HUGE so I split them into quarters and sneak in to a wiener chunk. She ends up getting darn near half a full wiener a day with 4-5 pills a day. She's caught on to the antibiotics, though, chewing around the pill then spitting the last of it out. I've resorted to cheese, even cookie dough!

Despite the above, she IS doing better. Still not stabilized, IMO, but doing much better. I couldn't handle her "Eau de Pooch" any longer so she went to the Spa for the day on Wednesday. She's sporting a Christmas bandanna but you can't really see it in the pics. I certainly notice the weight loss, though - her shoulders were never smaller than her hips before this Cushings thing came on.

My nekkid pooch:

Old December 25th, 2009, 10:00 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Oh, she's looking lovely, Leprchn! What a beauty! Puppy cuts take years off!

Glad to hear the diarrhea cleared up! I hope she continues to improve under the new med regimen.

Merry Christmas, Kira and Leprchn!!!!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old December 26th, 2009, 12:28 AM
Senior Contributor

OMG Miss Kira is so kissable....

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else
Old December 27th, 2009, 11:48 PM

Now it's WAR!

So she caught on to the wieners having pills in 'em. Dammit, the chalky antibiotics gave it away, now she's checking every morsel I give her, cheese, cookie dough, wieners...you name it, she's grinding it up and spitting out the pills.

Tonight I scarfed her head back by the jaw, jammed THREE pills down at once, snapped her jaw shut and held it closed while I stroked her throat.

It's safe to say that today we are NOT friends! Well, maybe we will be in an hour or so...but seriously, if looks could kill...

Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas and here's to looking forward to an Awesome New Year!
Old December 27th, 2009, 11:57 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I don't know if it works for little dogs, but here's my method for pilling setters. First I get a reward treat ready. I wrap my left hand (I'm a righty) around the snout, and use my finger tips to push the lip gently but firmly between the teeth. Pry the jaw open gently, making sure the lip is wrapped firmly (but gently) around the teeth--she won't bite down on her own lip, so it helps protect the fingers. Then I take the pill between thumb and forfinger of my right hand and push it down the side of the mouth, eventually pushing it back over the side of the tongue. Retrieval of fingers follows (usually intact) then let go of the snout. Reward.

If you do some dry runs with pieces of treats instead of pills, it'll help associate the procedure with something good and eventually you'll find she's not as resistant to taking pills. Mine actually open their mouths willingly, knowing that once mom gets her hands out of their maws, they get a treat.

So how is she doing? Are her symptoms improving

Good luck with the pilling and Happy New Year to you all!

Old December 28th, 2009, 02:31 AM

Her symptoms appear to be stabilizing, although she still tremors when she's breathing (usually when sleeping). She's on 10 mg (2x 5mg pills) a day for a week then we increase it to 15, 20 , etc.

She's so little and we play this game I've termed the Oven Mitt Game (OMG) where I put on this ratty old oven mitt and we shadow box where the 'win' is her getting my hand in her mouth; I usually take advantage and 'brush' her teeth with my thumb at that point. My point is she's used to me handling her mouth/jaw and having my hand in there so when I got fed up with the pill spitting, I had no problem putting my hand in her mouth and snapping her jaw open.

She still got her wiener afterward...who can say no to those big brown eyes?
Old December 28th, 2009, 11:00 AM
-

Have you tried putting the pill in peanut butter ? Always works with my guys.

She's a cutie by the way
Old December 28th, 2009, 02:01 PM
-

Awww, Kira is just too cute and does have very irristible brown eyes.

I've always had the best luck just stuffing the pill down the throat as well. Glad to here the med ajustment is stabilizing her.
Old December 28th, 2009, 11:30 PM

Our dog, who is also on Cushings meds, had to be on antibiotics and pain meds, so she is really suspicious of any pill now. My husband takes a straw and punctures a hole in a boiled potato cube, puts the capsule inside, and plugs the hole with the potato stuck in the straw. He puts the potato with her food and mixes with a little beef broth. Its been working for two weeks now. We store potato cubes in refrigerator inside the broth, so their handy. Sounds like a lot of work, but its better than struggling to get her to swallow a pill. We tried pill pockets, wrapping pill in cheese, meat, peanut butter, etc. this is the only thing that works(for now)
Old January 14th, 2010, 11:35 PM

Cushings Does weaken legs,can cause diabetes which makes them lose appetite

Hi everyone,
I had my doggie on Trilostane (Vetoryl) for a few months and then ran out of money and stopped the meds for a couple of months and he went lame in the hind legs, and it happened within a 24 hour period with bouts of funny walking during the month. THe doctor said they get diabetic from cushings, which is why it can be confusing. They are so hungry with the cushings, and yet won't eat with the diabetes.... so be very careful if they are losing their appetite!

I started him on insulin today and trilostane and will never be so foolish. God willing he will get his legs back (he actually will walk once I help him up). I love so much. Darn recession, but my bad.
Old January 17th, 2010, 02:20 PM

I've not read about Cushings triggering diabetes!

Kira has lost some mobility/strength in her hind legs. She stumbles on the stairs and is reluctant to step over the sliding door track to go to the backyard (she caught her back leg on it and tore the dew claw bump).

20-25 mg of the Trilostane seems to be the magic level, high enough to combat most symptoms but low enough that she still eats. I've taken her off kibble completely (won't eat it and it attracts bugs after a while) and put her on Pedigree Vitality meat chunks. She won't eat the 'loaf' recipes.

Both the Vet and I agree that we're just going to manage symptoms at the lowest level and let the disease take its course.

Old January 17th, 2010, 04:53 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh Kira, I am so sorry. Your poor mom must be so upset. But let her know that there are many people here, who will be a sounding board for her.

I wish Kira that I would have met you, I feel that you are one of my own...

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else
Old January 17th, 2010, 04:59 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudley Doo's Ma View Post
Darn recession, but my bad.
Have you spoken to your vet to try something else ? Lysodren is less expensive and available at pharmacies.
Old January 17th, 2010, 05:16 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I'm sorry to hear that Kira is not doing so well, Leprchn! It's so difficult to see them ailing.

Old January 17th, 2010, 07:24 PM
-

Aw, Leprchn, big hugs to you and Kira.
Old January 17th, 2010, 08:16 PM

leprchn my sis late dog was on lysodren for cushings. he did give a hard time with food so she used to give him the baby pablum(rice) which is fortified with iron and when he didnt want kibble he ate bbq chicken. his blood test came back better on that than kibble.
Old January 17th, 2010, 09:48 PM

Leprchn, I've been wondering how your dog is doing on Chushings meds, mine isn't doing too good. Mollie was put on 30 mg Trilostane a month and a half ago. She couldn't walk at the time, and can now. She doesn't pant as heavily, and will lay on her blanket instead of cool surfaces. She won't eat her regular food, we have to put beef broth with it or canned food with it, and she still barely nibbles. Shes lost 4-5 lbs, which is good because she was overweight. This past week shes been very lethargic. My vet hasn't retested her since she started the meds, and the directions on the package say you should. She is still drinking a tremendous amount of water, and peeing once an hour, if shes awake. I'm calling the vet tomorrow, I want her retested to see if she needs a stronger dose.
Old January 18th, 2010, 01:04 AM

The Vet wants to re-test Kira but I simply cannot afford it right now. I have made arrangements to build up a credit when I get her meds (pay $100 for the $80 bill) and she will let me pay off the bill in increments but has to be paid within 30 days. It's a $500 vet visit. This is why we're taking the course we are.

I have faced the reality that Kira is an older dog (at least 10) and that the tumour that triggers Cushings is still there, likely growing, and the meds (including Lysodren) only manage symptoms - so that's what we're doing. So we wait, evaluate med levels as required, and monitor for quality of life. She can't go for long walks anymore, can barely make it around the townhouse complex and some days only just to the mailbox and back (about 300 ft. round trip).

I'm coming to terms with the inevitable; gonna bawl like a baby, though.

Now, to take it up a few notches, she still as cheeky as ever, will still chew her hoof and leaps for liver treats. We still play her favorite game and she will chase her rope toy, but only for a few minutes as she tires easy. She's cuddles more these days (and I'm lapping it up!), growls when she wants to be left alone or if I don't let her rinse my supper plate, and still greets me at the door with a tiny yelp and a wiggling butt.

So the only really noticeable change, besides her weight loss, is the very short spurts of energy that peter out within minutes but she still wants to play and still gets excited when we go for our short(er) walks.

She's commandeered my heated throw. I put it on the lowest setting and make a doughnut bed with it - she all but sighs with bliss when she curls up in it. When I went to use it to take a nap this weekend, she growled when I took 'her' bed apart and tried to climb on top of me once I had it over me. I let her, for a few minutes, then said, "dammit Kira, you're digging into my ribs - Off you go!"
Old January 18th, 2010, 10:17 AM
Senior Contributor

Just love her......

Old January 18th, 2010, 11:13 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

It's so hard to make the decision...and so hard to let go. At some point that's all you can do--just love them and make the most of their remaining time...

Old January 19th, 2010, 03:53 AM

She had McDonalds tonight - loves her KiraBurgers and fries

I'm gonna spoil her silly for the rest of her life!!
Old January 19th, 2010, 10:48 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Yum! KiraBurgers and fries! She's a lucky little girl! And you're such a good mom

Old January 20th, 2010, 12:56 AM

Its amazing that the dogs on Cushing meds lose their appetites for dog food but will still eat people food. Mollie thinks the drive through at the bank is Burger King, and gets all excited, but sneers at the dog food she once loved. Like you said, all thats left is to spoil them for as long as you can.