Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old October 5th, 2009, 03:36 PM
Senior Contributor

No reply yet,I don't think Sammi liked the answers:sad:
People often just do not see the need to train a small dog,but like Ceasar says,all dogs,no matter the size need training.
I hope this little pup will be ok....
Old October 5th, 2009, 03:44 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
No reply yet,I don't think Sammi liked the answers:sad:
People often just do not see the need to train a small dog,but like Ceasar says,all dogs,no matter the size need training.
I hope this little pup will be ok....
Me too. I don't think there really was anything that really could have been said Chico2. Sometimes people make up their minds and even if given great advice will do whatever they were set out to do.

It is difficult not knowing the fate of this little one. Really, it is frustrating...and sad.
Old October 5th, 2009, 03:56 PM
Senior Contributor

Don't give up yet friends! The OP just last logged in this afternoon...doesn't mean she won't be back to check up on our comments.

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old October 5th, 2009, 04:11 PM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

If any one read her previous posts you'd see this dog has lived with her mom for over a year ...

I hope at least you come back to see the offer Bailey made for you, please take it and allow Best Friends to work with your pup - in the right hands he'll blossom.

btw your mom should be charged with animal abuse
Old October 5th, 2009, 06:30 PM

Now I read this, and I was at first irritated that everyone was down on you, your trying to do what you think is right for your dog and all...NOW

Now, Im like, you know, you have been here since AUGUST and you have 30....just 30 posts. And I feel like maybe you really dont CARE to try.

It doesnt take money to adjust a dogs behaviour all the time, you CAN do it on your own if you feel like putting in the effort. Im not saying that you are in the wrong for thinking maybe your dog would be better somewhere else, where the people have the resources to properly care for it, because I did rehome my biting dog when I couldnt change her habits, but I TRIED. 3 WEEKS?! You have had the dog 3 WEEKS, WTH its a silkie terrier, I have one of this, sitting right beside me as I type, shes TINY and HELPLESS, and 3 WEEKS is ALL your willing to give this dog?! I will tell you right now, Bennie has jumped on my 5 year old neice, I corrected that, he has CUT my stomach, my foot, my arm, my thigh, he has EATEN every friggin shoe I ever liked, he has driven my mother half crazy with his chewing, he stomps my cats, he runs rampant all over my house given the oppertunity. He will be 1 year on the 23rd. I HAVE HAD HIM SINCE DAY 1. He has more issues that and equestrian magazine, and STILL I wont be giving him away. I have corrected his chewing for the most part, I dont allow him to stomp the cats. DO YOU KNOW HOW HARD IT IS FOR ME?! HE is a great dane/newfie/something, HE is huge! YOU HAVE A SILKIE TERRIER!! GROW UP, take responsibility for something you originally ASKED FOR

30 POSTS?! You have tried NOTHING.

I am ENRAGED by your posts.

Take up any offer you get, from the peole here willing to help your dog now. He deserves it. OMG how dare you. Dont get another pet, if you cant even take the time to keep the Terrier from the child, and then introduce them slowly, to correct his growling, and niping, omg....just....ugh.....some people.
Old October 5th, 2009, 06:33 PM

as a matter of fact. If you can put your pup on the road. I will take him. I am giving an offer for a safe, happy home.
Old October 5th, 2009, 06:52 PM
Senior Contributor

Need help finding

Give it up people, this op just wants to get rid of the dog so no amount of trying to teach her other options or training methods or trying tirying to make her take some responsibility is going to get through. What we might consider doing for future dumpees is set-up a network of people who would be willing to drive a certain distance to actually go and get the dog. One person for each 100 mile distance or something as such. Something to consider! By the way Bailey I have never charged the morons any fee when taking in their unwanted pet as time is of the essence especially when the pet has a good chance of being tossed out anywhere but I do make sure to have the owner sign a surrender form.
Old October 5th, 2009, 10:01 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by t.pettet View Post
Give it up people, this op just wants to get rid of the dog so no amount of trying to teach her other options or training methods or trying tirying to make her take some responsibility is going to get through. What we might consider doing for future dumpees is set-up a network of people who would be willing to drive a certain distance to actually go and get the dog. One person for each 100 mile distance or something as such. Something to consider! By the way Bailey I have never charged the morons any fee when taking in their unwanted pet as time is of the essence especially when the pet has a good chance of being tossed out anywhere but I do make sure to have the owner sign a surrender form.
I personally don't like to give up on people, which is why I've already phoned my contacts in UT to ensure that this dog may get the needed help IF the family decides against bringing it to a rescue.
This particular OP is young, therefore as Breeze mentioned, the OP may not understand all the options available to her and her family. If it IS the final decision to get rid of the dog, as everyone has already stated there are options available and I think it's neccessary for the OP to understand. And why shouldn't we make it clear that this family has a responsibility? They do. Stating this fact certainly cannot hurt.

That's great that YOU don't charge to take in owner surrendered animals. The rescues I'm affiliated with in my city - do charge, and the cost also varies as to the individual situation and WHY they are surrendering their animal, as well as if it is nuetered or spayed yet.

By the way, I think we can refrain from calling people 'morons' here. We all have our opinion about people that surrender animals, however name-calling is a tad immature IMO.

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old October 6th, 2009, 05:11 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post
There is no charge normally, BUT if a donation is offered, a rescue may be more inclined to help in order to offset the expense of the dog being surrendered.

I never ask for a donation, but I do hint that there is a financial requirement. 1 out of 10 will donate.
the one I work with in Ottawa also doesn't charge, often times not even a donation is hinted at nor requested, that said, I never rescue a dog to hand over to them without giving them money, my last was my sisters pet store dog (maybe now she'll listen to me) I paid to have the pup spayed at the rescue. please allow a rescue to take your pup, I know where you're coming from, your first responsibility is to your children and their friends and its a horrible feeling not being able to stop your dog from going after them, I lived like that for 14 yrs with a beagle that hated children, the dog suffered for it and so did the children by not being able to play with their own dog. back then there were no "trainers" "behavioralist" on every corner, that was unheard of, instead we lived in a vacume rarely having friends over with kids in "case", and my home was a series of baby gates (6 to be exact) which daily I would shift around to allow the dog to have access to different rooms during the day while keeping my children and their friends safe.

Last edited by Melinda; October 6th, 2009 at 05:15 AM.
Old October 6th, 2009, 07:02 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyrical44 View Post
Now I read this, and I was at first irritated that everyone was down on you, your trying to do what you think is right for your dog and all...NOW

Now, Im like, you know, you have been here since AUGUST and you have 30....just 30 posts. And I feel like maybe you really dont CARE to try.

It doesnt take money to adjust a dogs behaviour all the time, you CAN do it on your own if you feel like putting in the effort. Im not saying that you are in the wrong for thinking maybe your dog would be better somewhere else, where the people have the resources to properly care for it, because I did rehome my biting dog when I couldnt change her habits, but I TRIED. 3 WEEKS?! You have had the dog 3 WEEKS, WTH its a silkie terrier, I have one of this, sitting right beside me as I type, shes TINY and HELPLESS, and 3 WEEKS is ALL your willing to give this dog?! I will tell you right now, Bennie has jumped on my 5 year old neice, I corrected that, he has CUT my stomach, my foot, my arm, my thigh, he has EATEN every friggin shoe I ever liked, he has driven my mother half crazy with his chewing, he stomps my cats, he runs rampant all over my house given the oppertunity. He will be 1 year on the 23rd. I HAVE HAD HIM SINCE DAY 1. He has more issues that and equestrian magazine, and STILL I wont be giving him away. I have corrected his chewing for the most part, I dont allow him to stomp the cats. DO YOU KNOW HOW HARD IT IS FOR ME?! HE is a great dane/newfie/something, HE is huge! YOU HAVE A SILKIE TERRIER!! GROW UP, take responsibility for something you originally ASKED FOR

30 POSTS?! You have tried NOTHING.

I am ENRAGED by your posts.

Take up any offer you get, from the peole here willing to help your dog now. He deserves it. OMG how dare you. Dont get another pet, if you cant even take the time to keep the Terrier from the child, and then introduce them slowly, to correct his growling, and niping, omg....just....ugh.....some people.

a tad harsh I think, she came here for help, not to be put down, hopefully she read replies and found something to help her. I hate seeing how they get scared away. my opinion only.
Old October 6th, 2009, 07:47 AM
Senior Contributor

Melinda,
You and I are of the same thought on this.
Harvey the English Bulldog Extraordinaire
Old October 6th, 2009, 07:52 AM
Senior Contributor

thank you Macomom
Old October 6th, 2009, 08:04 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Here is a link to the original thread:

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=64869

This dog will never thrive in this family, I now know that this dog needs to be rehomed to an experienced person before it is too late.

Poor dog :sad:

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old October 6th, 2009, 08:35 AM
Senior Contributor

Wow what an emotional thread.

Listen Sammi - Bailey has provided you with an 'in'. My suggestion is to take it. This is a very very rare opportunity which is really a gift and a very nice gesture.

Sammi, if you really love this dog as you said in your first thread, then you will do the right thing and contact Bailey - don't wait. I can tell you that you will not be judged by her as she is doing this for the dog. Please take her up on this offer....it's a good one.
Old October 6th, 2009, 08:37 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Bailey: I think the dog is in Missouri, not Utah.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old October 6th, 2009, 10:03 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
Bailey: I think the dog is in Missouri, not Utah.
Yeah, Chico, I did read that the dog is in Missouri, and that the OP lives in Utah. But considering this is "her dog" I would hope that if the dog had the chance to go to a wonderful rescue and find a loving home free of charge, compared to being brought to a shelter, that the OP and their family would do all they could to ensure this.

My contacts have also offered to meet the OP in her hometown in UT, if need be, so she won't have to travel far.

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old October 6th, 2009, 10:07 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey_ View Post
Yeah, Chico, I did read that the dog is in Missouri, and that the OP lives in Utah. But considering this is "her dog" I would hope that if the dog had the chance to go to a wonderful rescue and find a loving home free of charge, compared to being brought to a shelter, that the OP and their family would do all they could to ensure this.

My contacts have also offered to meet the OP in her hometown in UT, if need be, so she won't have to travel far.
I hope you hear back from her, this dog really needs to be in experienced hands.

Thank you for offering this help for her

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old October 6th, 2009, 12:45 PM

I really am sorry for my harshness, but some people need/deserve a good kick every once in a while. I have had it MANY times, and Ive been a little emptional these days, Im looking high and low for my dog, and to see that someone is willing to just....give up on theirs....that really gets my dander up.
Old October 6th, 2009, 02:28 PM

And just what have you been doing to work with this dog and his nipping and growling.

You are the caregiver for this dog. It's your responsibility to find a safe new home for it if you are not willing to work with the dog and his temperment issues.

I live across the country from him, so I have not been able to train him at all because I can not have animals at my apartment. We have tried before to work with him, but he is extremely territorial and doesn't bite me, because I am his original master, but my little brother likes to play the game of hit the person who's holding the dog so that the dog gets upset and angry and my brother has some mental problems that we are trying to work with, but it's a slow process and he is not helping the dog's temperament. As I said, my mom doesn't have the time to deal with both of them. My brother alone is a handful.

Andy (dog)-birthday October 16, 2007
Sophie (cat)-birthday March 20 2009
Annabelle (cat)-passed away March 2010
Missy (cat)-not sure when her birthday is, she was a rescue

Andy lives with my cousin in New Mexico, the cat's live in Missouri with my parents. All are very loved

*Rip Michael, we will all love and miss you very much. Love ya bud*
Old October 6th, 2009, 02:29 PM
Senior Contributor

Sammi. Email me. I will put you in touch with people that want to help you and your dog.

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old October 6th, 2009, 07:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Need help finding

If the word 'moron' fits then I will use it, don't need lectures from you.
Old October 6th, 2009, 10:20 PM

K here is the situation.

I live in a place where I am not allowed to have pets, so although my mom did not want the dog to stay with them, I insisted on her keeping him so that we wouldn't have to give him away. If I could take him with me I would in a heartbeat because he does well with me, unfortunately I am not in a position to take him. I am not trying to give him away because I just can't handle it anymore, I want him in a better home with people who know how to handle him. As I said before, my little brother encourages his aggressivness which is one reason I can't get him to stop biting. The reason I asked for help is so that I could get advice from some people who know a little more than me about all of this, and most of the replies I got were very cruel! I do not appreciate being told that I don't care about my dog. I want to put him somewhere better which is why I asked instead of just taking him to the pound or something. It kills me to have to even think about giving him up let alone actually doing it, but I know that he deserves better, and I can't give it to him! None of you know the situation I am in and thank you Bailey for actually listening to the situation, I will be sending you an e-mail, but the rest of you were very rude! I'm sorry I don't spend my entire life in front of a computer screen!!!!! I am a poor college student and I actually have to get off my butt and work!!! I know, it's a foreign concept for some of you jerks who can just sit at home all day with your dogs and your laptop in front of you and criticize people asking for help!

Andy lives with my cousin in New Mexico, the cat's live in Missouri with my parents. All are very loved

Old October 6th, 2009, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO22 View Post
I noticed in your orginal post, that after 3 weeks, you were back with him. Do you go away lot?
No you read that wrong, I was back with him FOR 3 weeks, I don't live with him...I wish I did, but I don't.

Old October 6th, 2009, 11:02 PM
Senior Contributor

Umm Sammi..I was not rude. Furbaby rescue might help. I know the lady who runs it and she is very nice. I hope you can get this little soul into a rescue. If I was closer I would take him myself. I run a small dog rescue and seem to get the ones no one wants.

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else
Old October 6th, 2009, 11:21 PM

I didn't mean everyone was rude, but there were alot of people who were...unfortunately I can't afford to send him there. I don't have alot to spare after I pay everything for the month...I haven't worked for a month, and I just got demoted with a pay cut, so now I have even less to spare...

Old October 7th, 2009, 12:04 AM
Mickey, my angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammi028 View Post
I would like for him to go somewhere where people want to take good care of him and he will be able to run around outside alot (his outside is confined to a porch and it's really not good for him) with someone who wants to train him and play with him. He does not like little children AT ALL!!! Someone please help me.
Sammi, your very first post on this thread clearly showed that you cared about your dog and wanted to do what was best for him. Anybody who would have taken the time to check your user profile and read your previous posts regarding your dog should have clearly seen that you were a struggling student living away from home who had very little control over the situation. In my opinion, the decision you have made was wise and unselfish, and I am very glad that, despite the rude comments made by several of the posters on this thread, you were able to find the help you came for.
"Let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." -Jack Layton
"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi

Kitties: Punky (17), and Sassy (13), Twinky (10),

SweetMickey 1991 to May 24, 2009
Old October 7th, 2009, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikischo View Post
Sammi, your very first post on this thread clearly showed that you cared about your dog and wanted to do what was best for him. Anybody who would have taken the time to check your user profile and read your previous posts regarding your dog should have clearly seen that you were a struggling student living away from home who had very little control over the situation. In my opinion, the decision you have made was wise and unselfish, and I am very glad that, despite the rude comments made by several of the posters on this thread, you were able to find the help you came for.
Thank you for actually reading what I put. It's nice to have someone who actually listens. I am actually holding back tears as I am writing all of this because part of me still wants to be selfish and keep him, even though it won't be what's best for him. I finally see that he needs something better and I will do everything in my power to give him that, even if it means bawling as I hand him over to someone that can take care of him better than me.

Old October 7th, 2009, 06:09 AM
Senior Contributor

*hugs* to you Sammi, you handled yourself quite well in here!! All the best to you and your dog, we'll be rooting for you.
Old October 7th, 2009, 06:28 AM
Senior Contributor

Sammi please contact Furbaby. Sometimes transport can be arranged.

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else
Old October 7th, 2009, 07:16 AM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammi028 View Post
K here is the situation.

I live in a place where I am not allowed to have pets, so although my mom did not want the dog to stay with them, I insisted on her keeping him so that we wouldn't have to give him away. If I could take him with me I would in a heartbeat because he does well with me, unfortunately I am not in a position to take him. I am not trying to give him away because I just can't handle it anymore, I want him in a better home with people who know how to handle him. As I said before, my little brother encourages his aggressivness which is one reason I can't get him to stop biting. The reason I asked for help is so that I could get advice from some people who know a little more than me about all of this, and most of the replies I got were very cruel! I do not appreciate being told that I don't care about my dog. I want to put him somewhere better which is why I asked instead of just taking him to the pound or something. It kills me to have to even think about giving him up let alone actually doing it, but I know that he deserves better, and I can't give it to him! None of you know the situation I am in and thank you Bailey for actually listening to the situation, I will be sending you an e-mail, but the rest of you were very rude! I'm sorry I don't spend my entire life in front of a computer screen!!!!! I am a poor college student and I actually have to get off my butt and work!!! I know, it's a foreign concept for some of you jerks who can just sit at home all day with your dogs and your laptop in front of you and criticize people asking for help!
Good for you, peeps please give her a break and try not to respond! Sammi sending as hard as it will be your doing a very selfless thing for your dog and hoping you'll get the help you came here for.

Bailey all your posts (even when struggling ) are very helpful, pleasant and informative thank you

Tags
dog, shelter