Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Closed Thread

Old February 14th, 2005, 09:03 AM

Looking For Morkie Breeders...

Hey. I am new to this site. My boyfriend and I are looking for Morkie breeders. We are located near Ottawa, so a deeler near there would be preferable. I would be willing to drive to Toronto, or London, etc, to find a good breeder. Please email me back if you have any information on Morkie breeders. Thanks
AMY
Old February 14th, 2005, 09:10 AM
Senior Contributor

Welcome abourd Amy.

Just some info for you.A Morkie is just a "designer" breed...These usually come from puppy mills or BYB's.What I mean by BYB(backyard breeder)is they only do it for the money.They charge an arm and a leg.They can go for as much as $600-$800 if not more.These are just mixed breeds...Mutts.

Have you tried looking at some shelters or rescues?
Old February 14th, 2005, 09:21 AM
Senior Contributor

What the heck is a Morkie? That's a new one on me....what will they come up with next.

Hi Amy!
What Mona said. This trend towards picking two breeds, giving them a cute name, then overcharging like crazy is a really awful trend, and very sad because so many equally cute deserving dogs get killed every day in shelters because nobody wants them.
Many of these very same cute mixes can be found in shelters, rescues, on Petfinder, etc.
Here's a link to Petfinder so you can search in your area:
http://www.petfinder.org/

Also...a thought. There must be a Yorkie rescue (search the net) you can contact. They may have some great info for you, may even know of whatever this particular mix is.
Good luck and please don't give any money to someone breeding designer breeds!
Old February 14th, 2005, 09:22 AM
Senior Contributor

LMAO.

Carina,a Morkie is a Maltese/Yorkie......
Old February 14th, 2005, 09:41 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

i thought I heard everything.....Morkie... .
just to let you know if you do proceed and get a "morkie". you may
end up with many health issues with this dog, as people who breed
them are usually not reputable, so therefore vet care is not given,
so you may end up with a very sick puppie. Yeah they may guarantee it's health, which means you can return the puppy if it's sick for a new puppy.
(usually you have already bonded with this pup, so could you really give it back to be euthanized, and get a new one ??) They will not cover any vet bills if you choose to keep a sick pup.

Go for the purebred or rescue pup.

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old February 14th, 2005, 10:10 AM
Senior Contributor

I am sure there is one of these designer mutts available on petfinder or in one of the rescues there is a really cute tibetan terrier mix at Etobicoke Humane that needs a home and will cost you a fraction of what a byb or puppymill or pet store will charge you for a probably sick dog. So many of these poor pups die of parvo and don't think the place you get them from will actually care because they already have your money they could careless about you and the pup now.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old February 14th, 2005, 10:21 AM

"Morkie" - had a show in the 70's with a girl named Mindy, didn't he??

Seriously, the Morkie and it's counterpart, the Yorktese, as well as the Yorkie-Poo, Malti-Poo, Cocka-Poo, Labra-doodle, Bi-Chi, etc... - these are just excuses for people to charge rediculous amounts of money for what essentially amounts to a mutt. If you want a mixed breed dog, save a life and save yourself lots of money and adopt one from a rescue/shelter.

There are 107 small dogs available in Ontario on www.Petfinder.com alone (there are many, many more med-large sized dogs, and the number of cats out there is astronomical!). Try also the www.ospca.on.ca website. If you're willing to drive all the way to TO, I'm sure one of the many branches has the perfect pup for you.

FYI, this is where the majority of these "designer breeds" will come from:
http://www.nopuppymillscanada.ca/ :sad:
Old February 14th, 2005, 10:23 AM

ok, i am going out on a limb here as i am well aware that i may get flamed. my little guy is a schnoodle (wow, i hate that name). it was my mother's decision to buy a schnoodle puppy and seeing as i live at home while in university, i had little input. nevertheless, he's a wonderful beautiful little soul. i couldn't ask for a better dog. while i myself would have rescued, i love this guy with all my heart and he's become our little boy.

i apologize for hi-jacking the thread but i just had to say my piece because these "designer dogs" get a bad wrap. not that i'm encouraging they be bred purposely, i just have to point out that they do not all come from terrible conditions. duffy's breeder bred purebread west highland terriers and decided for some reason to breed her schnauzer. we met his adorable mom and saw the kennel. it may have been a byb but at least she was doing it right.

again, i'm getting off track. if bred in the right conditions, there is no reason why these dogs would be unhealthy. duffy has been in perfect health since he came home with us at 11 weeks. his vet is actually impressed that our pup is such a tolerant, tough and healthy little guy. i guess my point is that it's a misconception that mutts are prone to health problems. actually, purebreds, no matter what care is taken in their lineage, are more likely to have problems.

sorry again. i just had to vent. i really appreciated this board, no matter what kind of dog i have. i've been afraid to admit i've got a schnoodle knowing your feelings but i love him just as much as the rest of you love your pets. hopefully, i can still post questions and start posting pics without negative feedback.

thanks

Last edited by lucyvanpelt; February 14th, 2005 at 10:27 AM. Reason: made a mistake
Old February 14th, 2005, 10:23 AM

Gah, I saw a Morkie the other day on hoobly.com for $1400 USD, why oh why would anyone pay this for a mutt???? There is a puppy mill here pushing out every kind of yorkie mix possible. Still working on getting them shut down but it is a looooong process.
Old February 14th, 2005, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyvanpelt
i just have to point out that they do not all come from terrible conditions
You are very lucky that your dog came from a good environment and that he is healthy.

Quote:
duffy's breeder bred purebread west highland terriers and decided for some reason to breed her schnauzer. we met his adorable mom and saw the kennel. it may have been a byb but at least she was doing it right.
This is where I have to beg to differ. Maybe her pups weren't being raised in filth, but that doesn't make her a good breeder. As a matter of fact, the very point that she bred a mixed-breed animal on purpose tells me that she's not a reputable breeder and I would never consider buying from her as a result.

Quote:
actually, purebreds, no matter what care is taken in their lineage, are more likely to have problems.
This is a myth. A well-bred pure-bred dog will be no more likely to develop health issues than a mutt. And many mutts out there are suffering from all the same hereditary issues as pure-bred dogs. It's all in the genes, whether pure-bred or not.

Quote:
i've been afraid to admit i've got a schnoodle knowing your feelings but i love him just as much as the rest of you love your pets. hopefully, i can still post questions and start posting pics without negative feedback.
Everyone here is entitled to their opinions. I don't think anyone will flame you for your choice of dog - only if you come here saying you intend to breed him. We'd still love to see pics, please!
Old February 14th, 2005, 10:48 AM

writing4fun,
thank you. i completely understand your points of view and appreciate you listening to mine. if there's one thing we all have in common on this board it's loving our pets and i can't fault you all for being so passionate about animals. i don't think i would go the breeder route again for any dog (mostly because puppies are sooooo much work and i think one in my life time is enough...especially if i want children one day) but i don't regret my little guy.
Old February 14th, 2005, 10:51 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Writing4Fun
As a matter of fact, the very point that she bred a mixed-breed animal on purpose tells me that she's not a reputable breeder and I would never consider buying from her as a result.
Taddaaaa. Yes.
Even if the pups are raised lovingly and responsibly, the very fact that she is intentionally breeding mutts makes her irresponsible and only in it for the money.
That said, nothing against mixed breed dogs, whether or not they have cutesie designer names! Many of them are absolutely wonderful, including yours, Lucy.

Mona...I looked up "Morkies." Good grief.
I can't tall the darn difference between one cute fluffy little dog & another, as far as looks go. Why on doG's green earth anyone would consider paying someone that much money for an intentionally bred mixed breed dog is honestly and truly beyond me. When there are millions of them in shelters desperately needing homes.

Amy, Lucy, can you explain the thinking behind this? I'm not trying to be insulting, I just am really curious. Ever since I heard of this phenomenon I have wondered why people want dogs like pookies or morkies or goldendoodles or whatever, and why they are willing to pay more for a mix of two breeds, when either of the individual breed puppies are sold by reputable breeders to pet homes for much much less money.
Why?
Old February 14th, 2005, 11:13 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
and why they are willing to pay more for a mix of two breeds
It's quite simple. Marketing is everything and preys on the gullible. People will rush to buy ANYTHING if they are told it's "rare", "won't last" or that they "can be the first on their block to have one!"

Look how well it works for McDonalds when they are peddling some sort of disgusting sandwich and yell "Only available for a short time!"

These "breeders" have to make up these silly names too. After all, how many people would flock to buy these dogs if the breeders said "Mongrels/mutts for sale. 1500$ each. Hurry, they won't last!"?

Human nature...sigh.
Old February 14th, 2005, 12:01 PM

They also prey on people's weeknesses. Like selling Poodle crosses and telling people that they're hypo-allergenic (no such thing, people!!). Supply and demand, after all.
Old February 14th, 2005, 12:02 PM
Senior Contributor

Ahhh....marketing, I guess you are right. You'd think the constant barrage of advertising we're subjected to here would make us less gullible, not more so. But I guess not.
I have a long haired Rottweiler (looks like a bear) and you cannot believe the number of times people have told me I should breed him because he's so unusual looking.
By now I have the anwer down pat & go into a quick spiel about how it's a genetic fault & should never be encouraged, 100's of Rottweilers killed daily in shelters, etc etc.
Old February 14th, 2005, 12:05 PM

in my family's case, i'd have to disagree with you lucky. my parent's decision to buy a schnoodle had nothing to do with it being "designer" or "rare". if i had a small pic of my pup i'd post it and show you he looks far from designer and rare.

my mother chose a schnoodle for several reasons. while i understand there could be many differences from one schnoodle to the next, most have similar characteristics. they're known for great temperments, medium-small size, and (this has been highly debated around here) are non-shedding/non-allergenic. my mother had a tragic experience as a teen when her family's aging dog was pts after she developed severe allergies and at the time he was considered too old to give away and i suppose that was the usual solution at the time. who knows. all i know is it was devastating for her and she's longed for a dog ever since. duffy hasn't affected her allergies whatsoever (bear in mind, if he did, he would come with me when the time comes that i move out).

these might not be the greatest reasons. but why does anyone buy a puppy when there are dogs to be rescued?

and since we're on the subject, we didn't pay $1500 for him.
Old February 14th, 2005, 12:24 PM

Quote:
they're known for great temperments, medium-small size,
This would characterize most mixed-breed dogs you'll find in any shelter.
Quote:
non-shedding/non-allergenic
This is pure luck. Your mother is not affected by this particular dog's dander, but could very well have been affected by any of the other so-called "hypo-allergenic" mixes. As for non-shedding - some dogs shed less, but none will not shed at all. Heck, even I shed! It's just a natural occurance for anything with hair.
Quote:
we didn't pay $1500 for him.
But, I'll bet you did pay more than $250, which is about what you'd pay for any other mixed-breed dog at a shelter, already neutered & vet checked.

Lucy, it's great that you love your dog and no one here is bashing or attacking him or you. Just please don't try to justify what his "breeder" did, because in the eyes of the majority of this board, it's just not right.
Old February 14th, 2005, 12:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
they're known for great temperments, medium-small size, and (this has been highly debated around here) are non-shedding/non-allergenic.
A puppy's health and temperament is only as good as the parents are. Someone deliberately breeding mixes for $$ is not likely to know what genetic defects are common to both breeds or to care, or to have had them health tested. Anyone touting "Hypoallergenic" or "Non-shedding" or even "Rare", or "Teacup" as a selling point is disreputable and greedy.

And someone may be breeding their mutts in the lap of luxury and have them spoiled rotten, but they are still scamming the gullible and hurting animals by pumping out yet more badly bred mongrels when the shelters are loaded with them.

Go here. You'll see a bunch of cute "designer mixes" and even small purebreds who are homeless. They were all bred by people looking for a buck and who couldn't care less about the welfare of the dogs they brought into the world once they got the money in their hands.
Animatch
Old February 15th, 2005, 10:16 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Writing4Fun

This is where I have to beg to differ. Maybe her pups weren't being raised in filth, but that doesn't make her a good breeder. As a matter of fact, the very point that she bred a mixed-breed animal on purpose tells me that she's not a reputable breeder and I would never consider buying from her as a result
I have to agree.No reputable breeder would EVER consider breeding mutts.I know a breeder who breeds Newfies and Poodles.They are titled and Champions.Would she even consider breeding the 2,I think not....But hey,she can have Newfiedoodles.....

I gave a friend of mine crap for going to a BYB and getting her Bichon/Shih Tzu pup Mason.She paid $400.Mason has been to the vets on many occasions.But before she got Mason,I gave her crap for going to a BYB to get her 2 Bichons.Which she paid $800 EACH for Misty and Mojo.They where the last 2 left,bro and sis.I tried to talk to her on the route to go before she got them.When she did,I asked her alot of questions.Parents where not tested,no titles or Champion lines.I asked to see their registration and Pedigree papers.She said she had them in a safe.BS,She made every excuse in the book.I came flat out and said you went to a BYB.They have also been to the vets many times.I just do not see the reson for dishing out so much money.And the more people buy these "mutts" the more these BYB's breed.And it is ONLY for the money.

And by the way,it's not a missconseption that mutts are prone to heath problems,it's a fact that they are.Pure breds or mutts,it's the same.Say a mutt is mixed with a GSD and Border Collie,it will still have the same health problems as if it was a pure of the 2 breeds.Hips,elbows.Eyes.

You were very lucky with yours.
Old February 15th, 2005, 10:31 AM
Senior Contributor

Okay someone is actually selling mutts for 1400.00 and people are paying it. Wow how stupid can you be. I can get a purebred English Mastiff puppy from a very reputable breeder for 1800.00 I might have to wait a year but I know I would be getting a healthy and sound temperment dog. Not that I would because there are way too many homeless dogs but if I ever did buy a pup it would only come from a reputable breeder who cares about the dogs even after they have gone to there forever homes. Plus they would have to be an advocate of rescues and work with them.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old February 15th, 2005, 01:14 PM
Love all creatures

This thread is the reason why I'm hoping ALL of you will show up to the puppy mill demonstration in downtown Toronto this Saturday....it would really make a difference..we'll be handing out flyers and talking to people about the reality of puppy mills..it'd be great if you guys would be able to come...we had such a great turnout for the pitbull demonstration..and this one is by no means less important than that...

Anyways, I've posted the information before, but in case someone missed it, here it is again..feel free to crosspost..the more people, THE BETTER!

Puppy Mill Demo

Date: Sat. Feb. 19th (weather permitting)

Time: 12:00 - 2:00

Where: NW corner of Yonge St. and Eglinton Ave. Toronto (Parking info available here or take the subway to Eglinton station)

Contact: actionagainstpuppymills@hotmail.com or (416) 666-1695

Help raise awareness about puppy mills by handing out leaflets or holding a sign at this upcoming demo. All you need to bring is yourself. Leaflets and signs will be provided (although if anyone would like to their own signs, that's fine too). Dogs are welcomed providing that they are comfortable around people, other dogs and in a busy environment (traffic, kids, etc.).

Please pass this on to anyone who might be willing to help. The more people that attend, the stronger the impact we are likely to make.

*If you plan on attending, please e-mail actionagainstpuppymills@hotmail.com or call (416) 666-1695 so that you can be kept up to date.

For more info about puppy mills, visit: www.aapm.zoomshare.com

Samantha Carter

Action Against Puppy Mills
Old February 15th, 2005, 01:46 PM
Senior Contributor

I know this is a controversial subject but I was discussing this today with my own GP. She is a coworker of course and refers many pediiatric petients to me (sadly often with cancer or AIDS or aplastic anemia etc). She shows Yorkies and has bred a couple of her champions and we were discussing these designer breeds.

I hope it is a passing fad and wonder why anyone would pay so much money for what is essentially a mutt. Most mutts are cute and wonderful dogs and there are so many at various shelters and pounds who need good homes. I think breeding designer anything - whether in a medical ethics debate over eugenics or the debate over sex selection - is an ethical question.

I too wondered what on earth a Morkie was and now I know, sigh!!! I think what upsets me the most about all this is that these dogs are bred for humans and not for the love of the dog and for the betterment of the breed. If you ask yourself that question, you have no choice but to conclude that this is an unecessary addition to the dog species. (and in the case of cats, for example the horrible breeding of cats with genetic deformities like the Scottish Fold - I have a physical disability myself and cannot imagine why on earth oner would delibertly do this to any living creature? How cruel!!!!). I read the thread about the Muchkin Scottish Fold and was very ipset by it. It is essentially a Twisty Cat and I am glad the human loves the cat but my God, it is hardly something to brag about! She even at one point suggested it was OK to breed them. Clearly she needs some knwledge on the subject and to suiggest it is like humans was very painful to me.I opted not to have children with my own disability even though it was idioptahic and congenital - and the hundreds of children I treat and who keep in touch is great for me -. Anyone with any kind of medical problem needs genetic counselling and no patient I know would wilingly and deliberteky bring a baby into the world with any serious problem.

I am an officer and active in a disability rights organization so I do think that if one does have a child with medical problems, then you do EVERYTHING possible to help the child have a normal life but to suggest it so casually really - well to be honesty - disgusted me.

Anyway, I am a little far afield. I think the designer dogs now in existence should clearly need homes but I hope there are no more. (Alas, the market and people's desires will prve me wrong)

Sorry for the length. That Scttish Fold issue really upset me!
Old February 15th, 2005, 01:53 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Cyberkitten, I felt exactly the same way you did about the scottish fold post, but knew I could not put it as eloquently as you!!
wonderfully put !!

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old February 15th, 2005, 03:52 PM
Senior Contributor

DO NOT go to Hoobly's if you're looking for a pet!

Dobermom, I'm not sure if you were posting that link as a source for finding animals.... but they are nothing but an on line classified ad - just like buying from the paper!

They are puppy peddlers and NOT reliable for a healthy animal with a good temperment.
Old February 15th, 2005, 03:55 PM

Sammie, no no no no I was posting it as a bad thing, if you looked at my previous post you would have seen that i hate them

I was just on there again and found these

Bichon Frise/****zu Stud Service
Ad Number: 90791
Seller: ceasar
Price: $1.00 CAD
Available: 1
Placed: Feb 15, 2005
Expires: Feb 14, 2009

email seller | clip ad | report ad
Bichon Frise/Shih Tzu available for stud service. He is 1.5 years old. He is sable in colour and weighs about 11lbs. He is up to date on shots and heartworm/flea prevention program.This will be his first stud experience.Stud fee/pick of the litter is negotiable. For more info and pics of him email request to

4 Sell
Ad Number: 86932
Seller: stacey0275
Placed: Feb 4, 2005
Expires: Mar 17, 2005

email seller | clip ad | report ad
yes i have 5 boxer puppies,3 shih-tuz,1 jrt,2 pom and 1 yorkie

boxers are going for $450 shih-tuz are going for $450 the JRT is going for $350 and the poms are going for$450 and the yorkie is going for $650
all of the puppies have had their shots and are dewormed plz give a call thnxs. 416-282-0897

HORRIBLE.
Old February 15th, 2005, 03:58 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh okay... that post WAY back there!! LOL!! Sorry! I read it the other day, but just started reading where I left off... I forget sometimes!
Old February 15th, 2005, 04:05 PM

Its horrible but even the petfinder classifieds are sometimes bad. I emailed about a great dane before about a year ago. They were finding him a new home because they were moving.. i dont really remember. Well I emailed, explained that I stay home I have large breed experience etc etc basically my whole background. They emailed back saying I sounded likea great home but wanted to know how much I was willing to pay. I said a reasonable adoption fee. Well they got back to me stating a few people have offered $300 so I said I would pay $350 then they emailed saying someone offered $1000, I wrote back saying I am not having a bidding war over a living animal that you are willing to dispose of at the highest bid. I told them it disgusted me that they would only want the money and not a good home. ERRRR people... This is why I was leary about adopting Dexter, he was also posted on the petfinder classifieds. Luckily he is the bestest boy in the whole wide world...
Old February 15th, 2005, 05:32 PM
Senior Contributor

Hi Amy, if you are still following this thread, do you have any thoughts?
Old February 16th, 2005, 01:16 AM

Amy has (with good reason) likely left the building.

I've been here reading threads for a couple of weeks now, and it seems that at least 50% of the threads are duplicates of each other.

A person asks a question.

5 or 6 people jump down their throat and hijack the thread into a puppy-mill bash fest.

Do not read this as support of puppy mills, but only as a comment on the general mood this board seems to project. Other boards I frequent would moderate and possibly refer the poster to a sticky note.

All this of course is only one persons opinion.
Old February 16th, 2005, 06:40 AM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzmanian
Amy has (with good reason) likely left the building.

I've been here reading threads for a couple of weeks now, and it seems that at least 50% of the threads are duplicates of each other.

A person asks a question.

5 or 6 people jump down their throat and hijack the thread into a puppy-mill bash fest.

Do not read this as support of puppy mills, but only as a comment on the general mood this board seems to project. Other boards I frequent would moderate and possibly refer the poster to a sticky note.

All this of course is only one persons opinion.
People that come here looking for a quick, cheap fix to their sick pet's problem would rarely look at any "sticky note". Afterall, they are trying to avoid the responsibility of being a pet owner...they feel that feeding an animal should be the extent of their expense. God forbid they should fork out any cash at a vet hospital.
I could go on but I need to get ready for work so I can support my roommate.
Since you have been reading for a few weeks and are full of such great wisdom, maybe you can enlighten us on how to stop all this wonton breeding and cure a dog that has been vomiting, not eating for *_______*(insert how many days here), can't walk, has seizures, etc.etc. over the internet.

Amy may have left, but I can promise you there will be many more Amy's to follow.