Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 20th, 2012, 07:36 AM

50 rice, 50 liver diet, 1 tspmorganic live culture food. Total mush poo mon, metro started, little form tues & we'd morning, we'd night a mushy mess, thurs no poops at all.....I m thinking its just firming & thus now taking a day.....but, I don't know how diareha normally gets on track. All other behaviors & spirit are normal otherwise...35 lbs, metro 3x/ day of 250mg.....so, sound like normal processes? I m anxious & just hopin when she poops it looks like its very much strongly starting to form.
Old January 20th, 2012, 11:21 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Yes, the lack of stool on Thurs could mean that it's improving--everything will move slower, which is a good thing. Do you always feed just liver as a protein, though? All organ meat might be part of the problem--it's very rich. As a rule, organ meats should be a smaller percentage of the diet, with muscle meats being the mainstay.

How is she today?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 20th, 2012, 10:10 PM

Wahooooo....she pooped. Much better! Amen. Also liver diet isn't liver.....it's a lower protein vet clinic dry kibble as all her life her alk phos levels have ranger 400-600.....unclear why. We've tested for obvious. Possibly linked to a life long heart murmur & what we found out is high blood pressure a year ago. Bp now well under control.....so, thats the long & short as to why special liver (low protein) diet.
Old January 20th, 2012, 10:57 PM
Senior Contributor

So, kibble, with extra rice?

Rice used to stop my girl up for about 3 days, so I couldn't feed it.

The heart, being a muscle, needs protein. Also, in liver disease, low protein is not recommended, so I'm not sure the reason for the diet.

My girl with heart disease also had an elevated AlkP, we were never sure why. I did have her on liver support (Country Life's Liver Support Factors).

I'm glad that the metro is working
Old January 23rd, 2012, 08:09 PM

Sounds like the same type of food a liver diet food. I guess I assumed it was just lower in protein or maybe better proteins. Poops better overall. A little softer one tonight. I just watch as I transition to all food & she's done w metro since Saturday. I know once or twice she needed a second round of it.

What heart things did your kiddo have? What were the alk levels.

Thank yOu for your kindness & responses. It's nice to not feel alone & get broader responses as to what goes on. My vet is great but sometimes I want to hear more than the generic answers.... So thank you again. What a great group.
Old January 24th, 2012, 04:01 AM
Senior Contributor

I hope she continues to improve.

My girl had murmur, and a broken tendon in her heart. I don't recall what her AlkP values were, maybe just a bit less than your girl's.
Old January 24th, 2012, 10:44 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Yay!! Glad she's getting better, Pinecone. Don't expect her stool to be fully normal while on the metronidazole, though--our dogs' stools tend to stay a little soft, but fully formed, until they're off the metro entirely.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 24th, 2012, 02:22 PM

Wow....u all r so helpful w info. Ty.
Cedar was off metro Saturday & firming up nicely. Then, Monday eve was a little off again. TODAY liquid poops now...
Almost 90% back to full dog kibble today also. I m really assuming the bacteria remains & that she needs another round of metro? Thoughts? Otherwise she acts & seems normal. Ty

Last edited by Pinecone; January 24th, 2012 at 09:22 PM.
Old January 24th, 2012, 10:04 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Have you taken in another fecal sample for examination, Pinecone? She may have kicked the bacterial thing but have an imbalance of the gut fauna from the antibiotics. Have you tried a little bit of pumpkin in her food? Pure pumpkin (not the pie filling with sugar and spices added) is very good at firming up stools. A probiotic might be helpful, too. But your first step should be to have another fecal exam done to make sure the original problem is taken care of.

Likely the vet won't need to see her again--you can just drop the sample off. Cheaper that way, too.

You don't think she's reacting to her food, do you?

Old January 24th, 2012, 10:15 PM

Ty.....she has been on her food for years. Second vet visit today. All looked good w behavior & else wise. Poops showed bacteria still....so no other labs for now. She restarted metro but for only twice a day & for 3 weeks. She thinks this is aging & immunity more so than liver/system as the main problem or a sign of worsening liver. Labs will b this spring & will simply tell us more over all at that time. So, fingers crossed we ger this buggar all cleaned up now. The vet wasn't all that worried. But I sooooooo appreciate your ideas & feedback. She's the center in my life. My little rescue that I've have the honor to b w into her aging years. Your support & ideas r so appreciated. A light in the dark

Last edited by Pinecone; January 25th, 2012 at 06:50 PM.
Old January 28th, 2012, 03:22 AM
Senior Contributor

Twice a day for 3 weeks - should have worked. I would try, as mentioned, probiotics (can't remember if you're giving them), and a home-prepared diet. It might be the kibble. If those things don't fix it, maybe panacure instead of flagyl.
Old January 29th, 2012, 05:52 PM

She just started back on metro we'd night. Seemed soft formed & then sat night & today cow pies. I worry sooooooo. Is this some times normal....formin, diareha, formin, diareha. All other behaviors normal. Doing all rice supper & left word for the vet.
Old January 29th, 2012, 07:59 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Has your vet checked for giardia? It's hard to detect and can be a tricky one to treat. Usually it requires a longer treatment with metronidazole, or a switch to a different med, like panacur or tylosin.

I suppose it could be something like irritable or inflammatory bowel. I had a dog with inflammatory bowel disease--after a few months on a new protein he'd develop an intolerance to it. And he showed that up-and-down pattern when he was starting an episode.

Old January 30th, 2012, 08:41 PM

Vet doesn't think giardiasis & was watching. Still thinks its elderly dog, gi, ibs sort of thing & not indication of heart or liver progression. Metro back up to 3x/day for a week, taper to 2x/day for a week then one....she's not sure if we can get her 100 % off or this will b maintinence. We also added psyllium husk powder to bulk her up & they said it helps create a good bacteria environment. Will continue yogurt also but I hear about keifer being a way better probiotic also. So we now wait again & see. The vet said certainly these issues can come /go if not fully treated or wrong med. otherwise...she's acting very normal. Added a lil food in today as she was at least soft formed....crossing fingers....again. Should know more in 2-3 days
Old January 31st, 2012, 09:44 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Good luck, Pinecone! Keep us posted on her progress, pls.