Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old July 12th, 2002, 03:59 PM

Black Lab licking genitals

My black lab is a year and five months old and is spade. For the past 6 months she will suddenly stop playing, hunch down and run to the couch to lay down or she will just drop down and lay there obviously in pain but no whimpering. This seemed to start after two days of intense playing in deep snow. She will then lick her genitals for a minute. After one to 10 minutes she will be back to her normal self. I have had her urine and stool samples tested, they were fine and the vet has squeezed her anal glands twice, they were slightly full. She has no problem urinating but sometimes after a bowel movement she runs a few steps and then is fine. My vet says as long as she has urinates, has a bowl movement and eats and drinks properly she's fine but I know somethings not right. Any suggestions on what it could be and what tests I could have done? Thank you.
Old July 15th, 2002, 10:12 PM

Hi,

From your question, it doesn't seem apparent to me that there is anything wrong with your dog.

Dogs do lick their genitals, and they do crash out after heavy exercise.

What is the obvious pain you are referring to? Are you SURE you aren't being overprotective?

That said IF YOU ARE SURE that your dog is in pain...from some 6 month old heavy winter play, then maybe your dog sprained, tore or ripped a tendon, ligament etc.

I'd say X-ray or examine the dog specifically in this context to be sure.

These are just suggestions.
Good Luck!

Bart
Old July 17th, 2002, 12:42 AM

Smile Thanks Bart

Thanks for your suggestions. I have asked the vet about any pulled musles, etc, but he said it would have healed by now. However, I will ask again on her next vet visit this week just to be sure.
To clarify two points you mentioned, yes I know dogs lick their genitals. But when my dog does it, when I think she's in pain, its more agressive licking. And when she flops down its not always while I'm exercising her, it can be when she's walking across the lawn or just standing. She's very fit and I haven't seen her collapse out of tiredness since she was puppy so this is an unusual action for her. I spend alot of time with her and I'm sure I am a bit overprotective but because of the time I spend with her I can tell when she's acting different. I have seen her in pain before, sprained ankle, when she was spade, etc, and I just know something isn't right.