Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Closed Thread

Old May 4th, 2006, 11:11 PM
-

I wonder if your local nursery might have some suggestions for a low lying clover of some sort which requires little or no maintenance. That is, as long as spreading isn't a concern for you or you can weed-wack easily around their pen.
Old May 5th, 2006, 01:12 AM
-

Just had another thought - when the kiddles (the two legged variety) were little I bought a bunch of those inter-locking foam mats to cover up my carpet when they came over for the weekend. They are non-slip, non-toxic and washable and form a 4x4 square. I don't recall that they were outrageously expensive and they certainly did take alot of abuse in my house.
Old May 5th, 2006, 08:26 AM

Never thought of those foam mats .. thats a neat idea.

Still don't believe the anti-social part since even if we're talking about a work day alone. I mean, wouldn't that apply to dogs kept indoors too? So, wouldn't EVERY dog who has an owner that has a job be anti-social???

And that's great that the time limit your dogs is alone is 4 hours but thats not really realistic to most people - - and what about when you're actually working full time? Hope your dogs don't become anti-social then ...

I know there are alot of lurkers on this board and I understand you don't want them to think keeping a dog in a pen is a good idea HOWEVER when you see it's 2 regular members asking a question there's no need to freak out and worry about neglect with our dogs.
Old May 5th, 2006, 08:31 AM

I don't know if this is an option ,but when my parents weimaraner started getting older he had trouble holding for even a couple of hours.My Dad built him a run outside with a dog door going into the house,that way he had run of the house but if he needed to go and they were out he just went out.Patio blocs as a floor sounds good.We used cement here because we are a boarding kennel with different dogs in and out,so ours runs have to be washed down more often than if only one dog.Cement is the most hygenic,but it does have to sealed and must be maintained.
Old May 5th, 2006, 10:50 AM

Hi, we're going to need a new door anyway so I'm campaigning for a doggie door, if that happens I will definitely put the pen out the side door of our house. Of course that will mean retraining the dogs because we never use that door(because it needs replacing).
Presently and all winter the dogs have been left in the house on those occasions that I've had to be away. And yes I've picked up my share of pee and poop. I leave pee pads by the door but mostly they've played with them and I come home to shreds of paper and pee and poop. I will continue to pick up after them but it becomes a sore spot in the marriage if HB comes home first and steps in said goodies. Love me love my dogs apparently doesn't include the poop.

For all who are interested the pen will be going up and will be safe and I think until further notice I'm going to just go with the grass and see how it holds up. I can always send the kids in with scissors.

Spelling is an option
Old May 5th, 2006, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by les
Never thought of those foam mats .. thats a neat idea.

Still don't believe the anti-social part since even if we're talking about a work day alone. I mean, wouldn't that apply to dogs kept indoors too? So, wouldn't EVERY dog who has an owner that has a job be anti-social???
Sure every dog left alone will get antisocial eventually- the difference is that a dog outside in a cage when you come home tired and crabby is less likely to be as "in your face" about getting attention than a dog who is in the house bouncing off you. That's all I'm trying to say. Either dog needs attention to compensate for being alone all day.
Old May 5th, 2006, 02:21 PM
-

I leave my dogs outside in a fenced yard with both gates padlocked. They can go in the garage that's attached to the house if they want. They always have water, toys, etc. and I never leave them for more than 2-3 hours if I have to go into town.

My question for those of you that insist it's better to leave them in the house when you go into town is "what if the house caught on fire while you were away"?

Now I know I've really stirred the pot.
Old May 5th, 2006, 02:27 PM

Odds are much slimmer, IMO. Plus, I'm in a bungalow, so they can probably escape through the windows.
Old May 5th, 2006, 02:28 PM

Antisocial: Shunning the society of others; not sociable. Hostile to or disruptive of the established social order; marked by or engaging in behavior that violates accepted mores: gangs engaging in vandalism and other antisocial behavior. Antagonistic toward or disrespectful of others; rude.

Even a dog who is left in a yard 24/7 and not played with (which I know none of us would endorse!) won't necessarily become antisocial. How many times have we heard on the news or animal rescue shows something like: "Poor Fido was tied up with no water and hardly any food. We rescued this sweet boy who now loves being petted and giving kisses"?

I think the word we're looking for here is unsocialized, which is not the same thing. Antisocial = doesn't like people, is unfriendly towards people. Unsocialized = hasn't been around people, doesn't know how to act around people.

Leaving a dog alone for a few hours is not going to cause it to be antisocial OR unsocialized as long as it gets enough playtime, attention, and training when people are home. Whether a dog is happier outside or inside depends on the individual dog. Ebony always loved it outside where she could patrol the yard for squirrels and lie in the sun. (She also refused to drink water inside the house.) On the other hand, the dog I had before, Mandy, was a little homebody.

Personally, I would prefer to leave a dog outside in the fresh air. I think it would be much more interesting for the dog to be able to smell the neighborhood, as it were, instead of being shut up in the house or, worse, a crate. I work in a cubicle all day and that's bad enough.

~LM~
Old May 5th, 2006, 03:43 PM

How about cedar chips...like 4"-5" deep? They smell good, repel bugs naturally, are easy to pick poo up off of, and the dogs don't track them inside. They're also fairly cushioning to lay on when placed in thick layers. A yard materials supply shop should have them.

My dogs killed the grass in the backyard of our old house. I replaced it with the cedar chips and it was MUCH better. They seemed to like it.
Old May 5th, 2006, 04:04 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

Quote:
How about cedar chips...like 4"-5" deep?
If you chose this route remember not to get SHAVINGS the dogs can inhale the dust and cause problems, also remember that some cedar is carcenogenic ( we had to wear masks at the Mill i worked at when cutting it)
Do some research on it.
As far as the whole "to pen" or " not to pen" debate, TO EACH THEIR OWN! if its not a permanent home and not misused, I see no problem with it. ( depending on public access of course)
Quote:
My question for those of you that insist it's better to leave them in the house when you go into town is "what if the house caught on fire while you were away"?
Very good point, friends of the family lost 2 pitbulls from this, :sad: but however if your house is burning to the ground regardless of where the dogs are when no one is home they have a good chance of being killed! If the pen is close to or attached to the house the fire will create so much heat!! But this is a VERY VERY sad thing to be thinking about or even debating.
Old August 23rd, 2010, 05:21 PM

outside

New to the forum, so please be kind. In this thread about ground cover for a dog run, I see many people forget the actual question that was asked. My answer is large concrete pavers. I leave grass also. My dogs love grass too. There are a couple of manufacturers that make 18x18 inch and 24x24 inch square concrete stones. Use them in areas that the dogs tear up the grass. As far as those who say that the dog is safer inside, I respond.........huh? Maybe if it's no bigger than a rat. My dogs are outside dogs. My dogs live outside all the time. My dogs are very loved, and very well taken care of. I can understand that a poodle or some other type of lap dog is probably better suited to being indoors, but to think that all breeds of dogs should be kept inside of a home is insane! Your house smells like dog! Your friends won't tell you, but I will.
Old August 23rd, 2010, 05:24 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogHuntinMan View Post
Your house smells like dog! Your friends won't tell you, but I will.
Thankyou for your insight.
Old August 23rd, 2010, 05:30 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Wow!! Another old thread come back to rear its ugly head!
I guess some of us just prefer to keep our pets close to us. Btw - my house doesn't smell like dog. (well yeah, it sorta does because my lap dog poodle is 16 and incontinent) But really, it smells more like cat. Lots of cats!

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old August 23rd, 2010, 06:08 PM

I have a Great Dane - no dog smell here

That being said - even if my house did smell of 'dog' - that's part of the price you pay when you decide to bring a family member into your life, and into your house where they belong
Old August 23rd, 2010, 07:02 PM

dog smell

Oh many appologies for the "dog smell" remark. My own personal opinion jumped out of that comment. If it is your choice to have an animal live in your house so be it. I do have a problem, though, with dog people who think that it is a crime for a dog to live outside. Come on. It's a dog. By their nature they are born to love the outdoors. Even the little guys with the pink bows. Not every person that keeps their dog outside, just locks it up and forgets about it. I have as much interaction with my dogs as anyone that keeps them inside. My dogs have so much fun in their environment that I have created for them in my very large back yard. I bring them out in the woods every weekend. I use Garmin GPS tracking collars to ensure their safety. Again, many, many appologies for the "dog smelly house" remark. Much love to those who love the same canine friends as me.
Old August 23rd, 2010, 08:32 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

Quote:
Oh many appologies for the "dog smell" remark. My own personal opinion jumped out of that comment. If it is your choice to have an animal live in your house so be it. I do have a problem, though, with dog people who think that it is a crime for a dog to live outside. Come on. It's a dog. By their nature they are born to love the outdoors. Even the little guys with the pink bows. Not every person that keeps their dog outside, just locks it up and forgets about it. I have as much interaction with my dogs as anyone that keeps them inside. My dogs have so much fun in their environment that I have created for them in my very large back yard. I bring them out in the woods every weekend. I use Garmin GPS tracking collars to ensure their safety. Again, many, many appologies for the "dog smelly house" remark. Much love to those who love the same canine friends as me.
Sure dogs love the outdoors, but they are pack animals and belong where their people are. If there people are outside, then it's fine for them to be outside. If their people are indoors, then that's where they belong, with their pack. And by the way, not all dogs have doggy odor. I could have done without the "Come on. It's a dog" comment too. On that score alone you've gotten your last response from me on anything.

clm
Old August 23rd, 2010, 09:12 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Quote:
You're right dogs would prefer to be outside if the rest of their pack is out there too, but to your dog, you are part of their pack and they prefer to be with you, inside and outside.
That being said, if you have more then one dog, at least they have company outside, but I still believe if they could talk they would say they prefer to be with you and your family in the house (In your bed if you'd let them)

I'm sure you love your dogs and do what you think is best, but I still believe you can't have as much interaction with your dogs, as someone with indoor dogs, unless your outside 24/7

Oh and if you rub your dog with bounce sheets, they don't stink all that bad.....I still can't figure out how to get rid of that "Dorrito dog feet" smell though....suggestions anyone........ And so what my house smells a little like dog, if my friends don't like it they don't have to visit

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old August 23rd, 2010, 09:17 PM

Quote:
I do have a problem, though, with dog people who think that it is a crime for a dog to live outside. Come on. It's a dog. By their nature they are born to love the outdoors. Even the little guys with the pink bows. Not every person that keeps their dog outside, just locks it up and forgets about it. I have as much interaction with my dogs as anyone that keeps them inside. My dogs have so much fun in their environment that I have created for them in my very large back yard. I bring them out in the woods every weekend. I use Garmin GPS tracking collars to ensure their safety.
How safe is that outdoor environment if you're not there to supervise?
Old August 23rd, 2010, 09:22 PM

wow

wow. i can see this is not the site for me. Inside dogs? Don't smell? They need to be inside with their pacK? In my bed? My grandpaw is part of my family, he doesn't sleep in my bed. My apologies to anyone who loves dogs like me, but isn't a weirdo that treats a dog like a human. Horses need love too. You want those inside? Oh , I forgot, they're not pack animals.(Unless I put a pack on them). Wow. I can't beleive this. You guys watch way too much TV. Me, I'm the guy who loves animals, but remembers that they are just that.

Last edited by Blackbear; August 24th, 2010 at 09:03 AM.
Old August 24th, 2010, 08:48 AM

This thread has run its course and will now be closed.
Closed Thread