Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old May 20th, 2009, 08:59 AM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

Question Dyed Mulch

I've searched the net for information on this topic and it's said that some manufacturer's use colorants that contain additives such as pesticides and mold inhibitors. Also according to the ASPCA's Veterinary Toxicologist it can not only be toxic but lethal to both dogs and cats if ingested (cocoa bean mulch which contains thedoromine & caffeine)

Someone put the red dyed mulch in my yard and Brandi loves lying on top of it but I'm wondering just how safe that is, anyone know? Doesn't bugs love to munch on these wood shavings too which only means they might find nestings in her fur yuck

btw she'll inhale anything if it's edible and supposively it smells tasty as in sweet? So far I'm managing to catch her right away but would feel better if someone had more knowledge on this subject.
Old May 20th, 2009, 12:34 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

From my readings I have found out that red and black mulch is treated with arsenic and other chemicals to repel bugs. Cocoa mulch is especially dangerous to dogs of course.
So far it seems plain bark mulch or pine mulch is the safest.
If you are trying to just stop weeds have you tried shredded newspapers? It may not be as attractive but it is much safer.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old May 20th, 2009, 02:05 PM
Hazel's Personal Servant

I know the cocoa mulch tastes sweet to dogs - but I hadn't heard of any other mulch being sweet. I don't use mulch in my yard so I don't really have any experience with that.
Old May 20th, 2009, 02:59 PM
Senior Contributor

14+, GG didn't put the mulch down, the buildings owner did and she's trying to find out if its safe for Brandi or not...I've often used the red mulch and so does our fair city, including on our hiking paths.
Old May 20th, 2009, 03:17 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Thanks Melinda. I saw the rolling eyes and wasn't sure. Of course the landlord wouldn't be concerned about pets, now would they.
I would not be letting my pets lie in the mulch. I would be concerned about the arsenic and other chemicals leaching through their fur. Of course, it's not as bad as the cocoa mulch.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old May 20th, 2009, 09:32 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

I don't know why anyone would want to use the dyed stuff anyway. Plain old cedar mulch is very pretty. Once the plants have grown up around the stuff you don't see much of the mulch anyway.

Cindy
Old May 21st, 2009, 08:43 AM
Senior Contributor

Everyone on our street seems to use the red dyed mulch and my Eskie Hoover manages to swerve and grab pieces despite my best efforts - plus it blows in the wind and lands on our lawn. So far it hasn't killed him and he just turned 5. I hate the stuff, but not much I can do. I am totally against Cocoa mulch - actually I don't care for the chocolate manufactured by the company that makes said cocoa mulch - and if I did like it - making cocoa mulch would put me off the company.
Old June 5th, 2009, 10:07 AM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

I forgot I posted this question till I seen my pup lie in it today. Although I didn't think she'd die - your right 14+ he really doesn't like my dogs so of course he wouldn't think of the chemicals

I've sent him a registered letter and asked if either he could removed it or put a little fence around the areas I'm not concerned if he thinks I'm over reacting, I don't feel I should have to surpervise/scold her when she's relaxing in her own yard.

Thanks for your replies.
Old June 5th, 2009, 11:43 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I have died mulch on my gardens and I was assured that it was safe for pets. They use an iron oxide to dye it.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old June 9th, 2009, 07:27 AM
An Honest Contributor

According to the USDA ... Pesticide Manufacturers do not have to disclose all the *inert ingredients in their products to protect the market competition.

* = who know's what ingredients

Still waiting for the fencing around this dyed mulch
Old June 9th, 2009, 08:01 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Girls View Post
According to the USDA ... Pesticide Manufacturers do not have to disclose all the *inert ingredients in their products to protect the market competition.

* = who know's what ingredients

Still waiting for the fencing around this dyed mulch
Not sure what your comment on pesticides has to do with mulch. It's not a pesticide.

clm
Old June 9th, 2009, 08:06 AM
An Honest Contributor

Post # 1 I've searched the net for information on this topic and it's said that some manufacturer's use colorants that contain additives such as pesticides and mold inhibitors
Old June 9th, 2009, 09:29 AM
Senior Contributor

I researched it also GG and came to the same conclusion, there is pestisides in the orange dyed mulch, not all of it mind you.
Old June 9th, 2009, 11:15 AM
Senior Contributor

There are very different rules for pesticide use and disclosure requirements between us and the US, so don't take everything you read off the net as gospel. Organic Anti fungals and anti rotting agents are all that should be added if at all, and I have no idea what they mean by them being safe and organic, but I would look into it at a Canadian Regulatory body instead of believing what you read on the net.

Cindy
Old June 9th, 2009, 01:03 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

http://sbccedar.com/en/10_faq/faq-mulch.html

Here is a link.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old June 9th, 2009, 01:09 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Here is a hazard report:

http://www.beckerunderwood.com/msds/...ic%20(red).PDF

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old June 9th, 2009, 01:12 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

http://www.natureswayresources.com/r...oredmulch.html

Wow the more I am reading, the more I want to take it off my garden

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old June 9th, 2009, 01:44 PM
Senior Contributor

pretty scary isn't it love4himies, I asked at the landscapers about his product (red mulch) and when I told him I had pets and a daycare he didn't recommend it. I don't use mulch, I was just asking this weekend to see if they'd tell me the truth.
Old June 9th, 2009, 02:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Like I said before, I don't know why you would want to use the dyed stuff anyway, natural cedar mulch is very pretty, even as it grays. Does the same job with no phoney looking colour and it's a lot cheaper than the dyed stuff too. Much better IMO.

Cindy
Old June 9th, 2009, 03:10 PM
Senior Contributor

the whole point of this thread was not if GG used it....she didn't, her landlord did so we'd have to direct this at him about using natural mulch, she was just wondering our opinions on if it were safe for her dog or not...we now know it isn't.
Thanks love4himies on your research
Old June 9th, 2009, 08:06 PM
Senior Contributor

He may be more receptive to the idea if she buys the mulch to replace what he has already put down. I'm lucky that my dogs don't care at all to eat the stuff or lie on it. They both prefer to sit in the lawn chairs.

Cindy
Old June 10th, 2009, 04:23 AM
Senior Contributor

mine walks through my pansies to drink from my water feature.....*L* the reason I don't use mulch is because of my birds and squirrels, they like to bury their food in my flowers and the birds go for the worms...
Old June 10th, 2009, 10:14 AM
An Honest Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by clm View Post
He may be more receptive to the idea if she buys the mulch to replace what he has already put down. I'm lucky that my dogs don't care at all to eat the stuff or lie on it. They both prefer to sit in the lawn chairs.

Cindy
No he wouldn't be more receptive since he just removed the natural mulch he placed down last year with (his words) "prettier" red dyed one and unlike your pup's mine does like to lie in it

L4H's re the last link you posted, if you click into test results under the heading Chemicals it says: Due to legal restrictions can not post to web, contact office for info lol
Old June 10th, 2009, 01:16 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I don't know why anyone would want to use the dyed stuff anyway. Plain old cedar mulch is very pretty
Because it is cheaper? And much easier to find than real cedar mulch? I agree, the dyed stuff is a hideous colour. We have real cedar mulch that never was that awful colour but it is many, many years old and last year we couldn't find it at any garden centres near by. We had to get something else, not dyed though.
Old June 11th, 2009, 07:03 AM
Senior Contributor

That's the thing, the dyed stuff is more expensive. Usually a smaller bag for the same price of a regular size bag of the natural stuff. I haven't had any trouble finding the regular stuff this year. Got a couple of bags at HD last week. I need a lot more than that, but I also need to get all the bags of manure to feed the roses and the poor car can only take so much.

Cindy
Old June 11th, 2009, 07:05 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

The reason for dying is because it is recycled pallets. 2x4's, and such, which is not as attractive as real cedar mulch.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old July 19th, 2009, 09:01 AM
An Honest Contributor

The dyed mulch is the lowest quality and cheapest to buy. The reason being it isn't cedar as L4H's stated but it's a great opportunity to market otherwise unusable by-products of a profitable source of income. Being Eco friendly simply means avoiding high landfill costs.

I've contacted the retailer who sells two difference products of this dyed mulch. They in turn contacted the manufacturers and neither would disclose of their ingredients using *enert* = "market competition" - which legally has protected them since 1949

They have informed me they are reconsidering selling this stuff as they have a reputation for going the extra mile to only import "friendly" wood. I'm fencing off where this mulch is and anyone whose read this thread should do the same. It's not a safe product for our pets, strays, wildlife even bugs IMO
Old July 20th, 2009, 07:08 AM
Senior Contributor

I think thats for the best GG,. people don't realize that when dogs step in it , that it could cause problems later on, dogs lick their paws etc...
Old July 20th, 2009, 10:53 AM
Hazel's Personal Servant

When I was trying to find information on that dyed mulch, I found where it's normally made from recycled pallets - or construction debris. It can contain lead and abestos - just to name 2 very hazardous substances. It leaches chemicals into the soil and its long term effects on plant life or animals is unknown.

I did find a study on the new rubber mulch stuff that is popular for playgrounds now. Although more research is needed, the preliminary results indicate that regular exposure to this stuff is very dangerous for children. It's made from recycled tires so it releases the chemicals used to make the tires. While it may be easier on bones when the kids fall, it apparently can have some really nasty health consequences.
Old July 20th, 2009, 06:27 PM
An Honest Contributor

Thanks Melinda Being blonde Brandi's face has had a red tint when I've caught her lying in it so there ya go and it's what 2 months since it's been put down?

The retail Manager in the garden supply dept was very helpful and knew his stuff. Said he even had a dog die from a certain flower in his garden :sad: He advised me to ask any vet for a list of of toxic stuff and said anything I've learned from the net could get tossed as their list is very thorough

Kandy I came to that very conclusion when surfing. I called my city as they do use the rubber mulch you mentioned in playgrounds and green space. However it's apparently not the same quality and their suppose to have it gov't tested prior. Want to mention that anything that's sold is gov't inspected even when ingredients isn't on product. It's said that some may contain toxic but not enough to kill anyone. That isn't to say however that it wouldn't ... just that it hasn't yet