Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old May 10th, 2006, 03:13 PM

my dog continues to chew her pads off her feet / IMAGES / please help!! :(

hello, i have a 5 year old pitbull/boxer mix and she has (over the last 9 months) at random chewed and bit off her foot padding numerous times...
she has always been a licker of her feet, but lately i will find myself waking up in the middle of the night with my dog breathing very very fast and 1 or more of her pads have been chewed off...
she will lick and lick and lick them, then she starts to bite and tear...
usually this is done out of sight from me, but sometimes when it is really bad she will begin doing it right infront of me and i have to tell her to stop over and over and over...

ive had her in and out of the vet literally 30 times within the last 9 months and when she does chew one off it then takes about a 3-6 weeks to fully heal back...depending on severity,
for the last 4 months she has had to wear that stupid cone on her head at all times while im out of my apartment because she continues to attempt at chewing them off...sometimes i fall asleep without putting the cone on her and by the time i awake an hour later she has another one halfway off...(this has happened 3 times)
i hate leaving her in that damn cone!!! i have one of the soft collars now that is a downward cloth instead of the see-thru ring that went around her head but regardless they both suck and she shouldnt have to wear them!!!

at first my vet thought it was just that she is allergic to something, so she had me stop feeding her human food alltogether,
after many trials of food we have settled on a mixture of Purina HA Hypo-allerginic & Purina LA Limited-antigen...she seems to like that and it is very hypo-allergenic supposedly.
allergic to what tho? she has never done this before...

then my vet tells me it could be seperation anxiety..cuz my dog is very attached to me...
again, this has never happened before and ive had my dog 5 years... + she will do it right in front of me if i let her!!!

we have did scrappings, blood tests, my vet actually cut chunks of her paws out under anestesia so she could send it in for lab work...
nothing came back out of normal ranges...
it is simply mind boggling-

she also takes vetus pet vites & skin formula 3V Caps (which contains fishoil & fatty acids)
& has been on, and is still currently on Azathioprene (50mg tablet per day)- isnt this bad for dogs???

if ANYONE can help, even the slightest suggestion or big of knowledge would mean a great deal...
i appreciate it so much,

i have attached many pictures to help you get a vision of what im dealing with...

pictures of the actual aftermaths---

pictures of random weird pad growths---

pictures of random blisters---

pictures of recent dis-coloring of the pads (just happened recently)---

Last edited by sways_bodyguard; May 10th, 2006 at 03:56 PM.
Old May 10th, 2006, 03:18 PM
PeachesnSimon'sMamma

Hi Sways, first off, you need a second opinion on the allergies, not only does it sound like she's got em, but Purina anything is crap food and full of stuff that could be making her worse - despite her liking it. Innova makes a very good food for dogs with allergies and sensitivities - more about that here in the Pet food forum that you might want to check out. Prin is our resident food expert AND has a very handsome dog that has mad allergies to chicken, so hopefully she'll weigh in here soon. That being said, find out if your vet does an allergy panel, much like in humans, to see if you can pinpoint through bloodwork (rather than trial and error) what's the underlying cause of her allergies. Sadly, most vet's, though knowledgeable about lots, have NO CLUE about food and will push any old thing, regardless of how bad it really is (Purina foods have heinous ingredients and so there's a reason they put by-product rather than stating what - if they even know). I hope your girl feels better soon and please check back with an update on how she's doing.

~Those who KNOW better are responsible to TEACH better~

Jenn, Simon and Peaches
12/14/03
Old May 10th, 2006, 03:38 PM
Addicted to puppy

My sister has a french bulldog with the same problem. She licks and licks and licks, and her pads are red and swollen. They did an allergy panel and discovered that she is allergic to all sorts of grasses (including the grass in their backyard) and lots of others. They are going through a desensitization with her, and it has reduced the itching and redness considerably. Your best bet is to get the allergy panel and try a hypoallergenic food. Good luck!!
Old May 10th, 2006, 03:59 PM

thanks for the replies...
i appreciate all you guys' time!!!
lemme ask tho-
all purina food is crap?
the Hypo-allergenic and Limited-antigen are special vet diets versions... :/
even those?
Old May 10th, 2006, 05:39 PM

sways- post the ingredients of the food you're using.
Old May 10th, 2006, 06:13 PM
-

Most vets know squat about nutrition. Like Phoenix said, post the ingredient list here and someone (especially Prin, our food guru) will let you know.
Old May 10th, 2006, 06:53 PM

i will definately do that when i get home from work!!!
Old May 10th, 2006, 09:18 PM

Have you done allergy tests? If it's an environmental allergy, switching foods around won't help.
Old May 11th, 2006, 09:18 AM

After looking at pic of the weird growths..could it be fungal..like athlete's feet? Something about the coloration made me think of that.
Old May 11th, 2006, 10:39 AM

I agree that you need to rule out allergies and fungus. Even with a culture, you can't be sure about fungus because it may or may not come back positive (we all have bacteria, fungus, etc., in our bodies - the point of the culture is to tell us if we have too much). I would ask the vet about a trial of antifungals and antiibiotics, but not at the same time.

This is just a gut feeling, but I would also consider something for anxiety. It's not uncommon for dogs to initially have a good reason for licking and chewing (fungus, infection, allergies, a foreign object), but after it resolves they will continue to chew. It's a doggie form of Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder. I have cockers and they do this quite a bit. I suggest asking your vet about Benadryl, melatonin, or the pet formations used for dogs who are afraid of thunder. It's really the same phenomenon even though it seems completely different.

Last edited by DRN; May 12th, 2006 at 12:08 AM.
Old May 11th, 2006, 11:18 AM

Yeast Infections/ allergies

Hello
Okay I am no expert, I just recently am finding out that Nutro dog food is not what it is cracked up to be. I had two dogs chewing paws, scatching ears, thinning hair, brown gut in their ears, running their face across furniture like they where scraching. Took them to vet and he wanted to do all kinds of tests which where not cheap. I considered but wanted to see if this would work first.

My main concern was that one was chattering his teeth.

I went holistic after doing much research on the internet, and the vet telling me change them to Science Diet Z/D. I put them on this food, if though I didn't care for Science diet, for 4 days, knowing that my German Shorthair Pointer was on it for all of her life, and then got a fiberous tumor on her upper back leg at age 12. I first noticed small lump, and within 6 weeks she couldn't walk, and we had to put her down. We buried her in the backyard, because to many stories of where some of these decreased animals actually go!!!
Anyway we now have the two GWP on Eagle Pack Holistic Duck and Oatmeal, and I also have them on Nzymens. I was worried about the chattering, but I am happy to report, that I feel Yager seems like he is slowing down on the chattering. I think what I am doing is helping, Whether it is the food or Nzymens, I think it is a combination of both, but I think the Nzymens people have something here. Anyone that would like to research this just go to www.nzymes.com I feel it would be worth it if you think your dog has allergies and or skin problems etc etc.

I will update in a couple of weeks on the progress of my babys. So far I am seeing a difference in the attitudes, coats, and even the chattering is getting less and less.
Thanks Elaine

Last edited by Elaine H; May 11th, 2006 at 01:08 PM.
Old May 11th, 2006, 11:39 AM

allergies/yeast infections

Oh yes and i failed to mention that they do not chew on their pads anymore either. Please take time and research this website,
www.nzymes.com
I feel it will give you alot of information on what is going on with your dog.
Elaine

Last edited by Elaine H; May 11th, 2006 at 01:04 PM.
Old May 13th, 2006, 12:49 AM

Just some more information

Hello
I happened on to this researching the internet for my own dog, and thought about what was going on with your dog. So I am posting this for some information, and maybe to bring it up to your vet too. Just maybe another possible reason. It goes as follows below:

Over the years, I have seen this condition in pets that I have not found described in veterinary textbooks.

Dogs, particularly those that are all or part German Shepherd and between the ages of one and one-half and four years of age may suddenly and violently attack a portion of their body as if it itched severely. The most commonly affected area is the end of the tail, but sometimes a paw is affected. These are generally high-strung dogs with other neurological problems (like tail chasing or fly snapping). This problem has been called self-mutilation syndrome. It may be a form of seizure similar to frontal lobe epilepsy. I have not observed this problem in horses. When it does occur in horses, it is thought to be an obsessive-compulsive behavior trait. Some of these dogs and horses will respond to antiseizue medications (Phenobarbital, Primidone, Dylantin). Other cases respond well to the tricyclic antidepressant, chlomipramine (Clomacalm) and antidepressant, amyltriptiline (Elavil). Prozac is also effective in some dogs. Although Phenobarbital and Primidone are often effective, long-term use of these drugs can cause liver damage. It may take 5-8 weeks before an improvement is noticed. There is anecdotal evidence that placing these dogs on a greatly reduced protein diet may also be beneficial.

Last edited by Elaine H; May 13th, 2006 at 12:53 AM.
Old May 14th, 2006, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine H
Hello
I happened on to this researching the internet for my own dog, and thought about what was going on with your dog. So I am posting this for some information, and maybe to bring it up to your vet too. Just maybe another possible reason. It goes as follows below:

Over the years, I have seen this condition in pets that I have not found described in veterinary textbooks.

Dogs, particularly those that are all or part German Shepherd and between the ages of one and one-half and four years of age may suddenly and violently attack a portion of their body as if it itched severely. The most commonly affected area is the end of the tail, but sometimes a paw is affected. These are generally high-strung dogs with other neurological problems (like tail chasing or fly snapping). This problem has been called self-mutilation syndrome. It may be a form of seizure similar to frontal lobe epilepsy. I have not observed this problem in horses. When it does occur in horses, it is thought to be an obsessive-compulsive behavior trait. Some of these dogs and horses will respond to antiseizue medications (Phenobarbital, Primidone, Dylantin). Other cases respond well to the tricyclic antidepressant, chlomipramine (Clomacalm) and antidepressant, amyltriptiline (Elavil). Prozac is also effective in some dogs. Although Phenobarbital and Primidone are often effective, long-term use of these drugs can cause liver damage. It may take 5-8 weeks before an improvement is noticed. There is anecdotal evidence that placing these dogs on a greatly reduced protein diet may also be beneficial.
elaine...thanks for the extended bit of information
should i assume that since you were still looking into the problem for your dogs, that they still bite and chew there feet?
reason i ask is because i know you had your dogs on the nzyme pills right?
im thinking about purchasing the pills from the www.nzymes.com because after reading that site decently, it does sound like something that might help...
is there any known side effects to giving your dogs those pills? and would you recommend purchasing just the pills or that whole little starter pack?
Old May 14th, 2006, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow
Most vets know squat about nutrition. Like Phoenix said, post the ingredient list here and someone (especially Prin, our food guru) will let you know.
here is the ingredients to the food i use, i feed my dog a mixture of the 2...

Purina Canine HA (hypo-allergenic)
http://www.petrx.com/index.asp?PageA...OD&ProdID=1024

Purina Canine LA (limited-antigen)
http://www.petrx.com/index.asp?PageA...OD&ProdID=1025

HA
Nutrient Information

Average Nutrient Content
on Serving and 100 Calorie Basis

Grams per
100 Kcal M.E. Grams per
8 oz. cup

Protein 5.33 16.09

Carbohydrate 14.85 44.84

Fat 2.63 7.95

Fiber 0.39 1.19

Calcium 0.35 1.07

Phosphorus 0.26 0.80

Sodium 0.06 0.18

Potassium 0.17 0.52

Chloride 0.17 0.52

Magnesium 0.03 0.09

Average Nutrient Composition

As Fed Dry Matter

Protein, % 19.30 21.33

Carbohydrate, % 53.80 59.45

Fat, % 9.54 10.54

Fiber, % 1.43 1.58

Calcium, % 1.28 1.41

Phosphorus, % 0.96 1.06

Sodium, % 0.22 0.24

Potassium, % 0.62 0.69

Chloride, % 0.62 0.69

Magnesium, % 0.10 0.11

Omega 6:3 ratio 9.7:1 9.7:1

Digestion Test Results*

Digestibility

Total, % 87.8

Protein, % 89.9

Fat, % 92.2

Carbohydrate, % 96.2

Calorie, % 92.2

Percentage of Metabolizable Energy from:

Protein, % 19.2

Fat, % 23.6

Carbohydrate, % 57.2

*Based on digestion testing conducted at the
Purina Pet Care Center 1997.

Packaging
Bags of 8, 18.5 and 35 pounds.

Ingredients
Corn starch, modified isolated soy protein, water, coconut oil, dicalcium phosphate, canola oil preserved with TBHQ, cellulose, corn oil, potassium chloride, vegetable gums (gum arabic and guar gum), salt, choline chloride, DL-Methionine, magnesium oxide, lecithin, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, vitamin supplements (E, A, B-12, D-3), riboflavin supplement, manganese sulfate, niacin, calcium pantothenate, biotin, thiamine mononitrate, garlic oil, copper sulfate, folic acid, pyridoxine hydrochloride, calcium iodate, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), sodium selenite.
---------------------------------------------------------

LA

Ingredients
Brewers rice, salmon meal, trout, canola meal, tallow preserved with mixed-tocopherols (source of Vitamin E), brewers dried yeast, canola oil preserved with TBHQ, potassium chloride, fish oil, calcium carbonate, salt, choline chloride, taurine, zinc oxide, ferrous sulfate, vitamin supplements (E, A, B-12, D-3), zinc sulfate, riboflavin supplement, ascorbic acid, niacin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, beta-carotene, biotin, thiamine mononitrate, folic acid, copper sulfate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), calcium iodate.
Old May 14th, 2006, 12:20 PM
Slave to the Wigglebum

Quote:
Originally Posted by sways_bodyguard
elaine...thanks for the extended bit of information
should i assume that since you were still looking into the problem for your dogs, that they still bite and chew there feet?
reason i ask is because i know you had your dogs on the nzyme pills right?
im thinking about purchasing the pills from the www.nzymes.com because after reading that site decently, it does sound like something that might help...
is there any known side effects to giving your dogs those pills? and would you recommend purchasing just the pills or that whole little starter pack?
Just a suggestion, before you put your dog on any kind of medication, you might want to run it past your vet first.
Old May 14th, 2006, 02:37 PM

Neither food is good, IMO, but definitely stop the HA. A lot of dogs are allergic to corn and/or soy, and HA has both. The LA isn't great either as the first ingredient is rice, and not even whole rice but a byproduct of rice.

Check out a few examples of more holistic allergy choices and compare the ingredients with yours:

Solid Gold Wolf King:
Ingredients:
Bison | Salmon Meal | Brown Rice | Millet | Cracked Pearled Barley | Oatmeal | Rice Bran | Canola Oil | Flaxseed Oil | Garlic | Amaranth | Blueberries | Yucca Schidigera Extract | Carotene | Choline Chloride | Vitamin E Supplement | Iron Proteinate | Zinc Proteinate | Copper Proteinate | Manganese Proteinate | Potassium Iodide | Thiamine Mononitrate | Ascorbic Acid | Vitamin A Supplement | Biotin | Calcium Panthothenate | Selenomethionine | Pyridoxine Hydrochloride | Vitamin B12 Supplement | Riboflavin | Vitamin D Supplement | Folic Acid

DVP Natural Balance Sweet Potato and fish:
Ingredients:
Sweet Potatoes, Salmon, Salmon Meal, Menhaden Fish Meal, Canola Oil (preserved With Mixed Tocopherols And Citric Acid), Sweet Potato Fiber, Dl-methionine, L-lysine, Sodium Chloride, Salmon Oil, Flaxseed Oil, Rosemary Extract, Natural Flavor, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Potassium Iodide, Thiamine Mononitrate, Manganese Proteinate, Zinc Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin A Supplement, Biotin, Calcium Pantothenate, Manganese Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (vitamin B6), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid.
(That one has more potato than fish though, not as good, IMO).

Timberwolf Organics Ocean Blue
Ingredients:
Low Ash White Fish Meal, Salmon, Potatoes, Sardine/Mackerel/Anchovy/Tuna Oils, Kelp, Alfalfa Leaf, Potassium Chloride, Carrot, Watercress, Spinach, Celery, Parsley, Fennel Seed, Blueberries, Cranberries, Pears, Figs, Thyme, Anise Seed, Ground Cinnamon Bark, Fenugreek, Garlic Pieces, Sunflower Seeds, Sesame Seeds, Apples, Taurine, Spirulina, Choline Chloride, Lecithin, Probiotics: (Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Casei, Lactobacillus Lactis, Bacillus Bifidum, Streptococcus Diacetilactis, Bacillus Subtillus), Taurine, Mixed Tocopherols (a source of vitamin E), Lysine, Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Thiamine, Methionine, Carnitine, Niacin, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Iodine Proteinate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Biotin, Folic Acid, Pyridoxine (a source of vitamin B6), Copper Proteinate, Selenium Proteinate, Cobalt Proteinate, Papain, Yucca Schidigera Extract.

Do you see the difference? And these foods probably won't cost you more than what you are paying for the special food from the vet.
Old May 14th, 2006, 09:21 PM

If it were a food allergy, wouldn't she be showing symptoms on other parts of her body, not just her feet?
Old May 15th, 2006, 12:14 AM

Not necessarily. I mean the rest of the dog might be a bit itchier than normal, but when the feet itch because of an allergy, the dog really goes at them. Same with ears. If Jemma eats wheat, her ears almost bleed- they get so raw, but the rest of her is fine.

It's like if the dog can reach the itchy part, they'll tear it apart, so even if there are other faint symptoms, the feet or ear symptoms just overpower them all.
Old May 15th, 2006, 01:14 AM

thanks for the replies...everyone-

prin, or anyone else...
after looking at the photos of my dogs feet would u venture to say that nzyme pills would be a worthwhile attempt?

alot of sway's (my dog) symptoms are right in line with what has been laid out for 'yeast problems'...
the mutilating of pads, random running her face/back in the carpet for scratching, a little hair loss, and the blackness on parts of her skin...
Old May 15th, 2006, 05:36 AM
Owned by goldens

chewing pads

The first thing I would do is a food change. Try something like the Solid Gold or Natural Balance or one of the other foods that does not contain any corn or wheat. Stay away from the vet diets if you can. They do serve a purpose for some dogs but I would only use them if nothing else is working.
Before you add anything else to the diet give the food a few weeks to see if they work. If you add anything else you won't know if the food is responsible for the change. Remember with allergies to introduce only one new food item every couple of weeks. This means after you change the kibble that you don't give any treats, people food or anything else. Use the kibble as treats. Give the food at least a month to see results although you may see an improvement immediately.
Old May 15th, 2006, 03:06 PM

I agree with Coppperbelle. Supplements like "nzymes" have tons of stuff in them, and when you're trying to figure an allergy out, you want to limit the number of different things the dog eats. Like coppper said, start with a food, no cookies other than kibble, and go from there.

The only thing I would do though, is keep the dog on it for more than a month. As long as the dog isn't getting worse, and there's no doubt that the dog is not getting any worse, I'd stay on it. Some dogs can take months to get rid of the reaction, even if the food they're on doesn't have the allergen.
Old May 15th, 2006, 04:06 PM

the only thing is, i dont know when or if it the chewing situation is potentially getting better because my dog wears the darn cone whenever i am gone and i dont trust to take it off of her because the damage she could potentially do to her foot in an hour could then take months to heal...
like, look at the images i sent
she never used do this and then within the last 9 months it has became a prominent thing...food was never an issue with my dog before and she had been on numerous foods in the past with no problems...
ahhhh!
this is so frustrating.
the vet has her on Azathioprene (50mg tablet per day)- but i took it upon myself to take her off of it cuz it wasnt stopping her from chewing and it is bad for her kidneys...
my vet seems rather clueless on this issue at this point, it just seems like we try something new every 2 weeks and it is just a mess
Old May 15th, 2006, 11:50 PM

Here is something else I found while researching, I just can't help thinking about your poor dogs feet. Elaine
Chewing on feet

Q: Dr. Mike, In searching your archieves I have not found my problem. I have a two year old, Old English sheepdog that is chewing the hair from in between his back legs and his toes. There are no sores, redness or anything. It's like someone took clippers to his legs. this all of a sudden started. I have tried busying him with chew bones, etc. and he seems to do it at night when he's bored, I think. I have looked into allergies and am putting him on a allergy dog food. I was wondering if you have ever heard of this and if you have any advice. I have been a breeder for many years and never encountered this. Barb

A: Barb- I think the most common cause of chewing on the feet has to be allergies, at least in my area. This can occur with food allergies and with inhalant allergies (atopy). Once in a while demodectic mange is confined to the feet and it is always worth checking for this when there is hairloss. Immune mediated diseases like lupus and phemphigus can be involved in hairloss and irritation of the feet but usually some other area of the body like the ears, eyes, nose or lips is affected as well. If a food allergy trial diet is not beneficial consider testing for inhalant allergies. If your vet doesn't do this, he or she can refer you to a veterinary dermatologist. Since this is a young dog it seems best to have a diagnosis if at all possible so that a good treatment plan can be worked out -- especially since many of these problems will require lifelong control measures.

Mike Richards, DVM
Old May 23rd, 2006, 02:22 PM

now her back foot is extremely scabbed up :sad: but i havent allowed her to break them open...

i just recently changed her food to the EAGLEPACK-salmon but she doesnt seem to take much interest in it...
she hardly eats white rice now either (which she used to love)...
only thing i can get her to eat currently is the water packed tuna-
Old May 25th, 2006, 12:06 AM
And Zoodle's Mom!

here's my 2 cents worth! LOL

Has there been any change in your life/routine that may have affected your pooch? ie. a new partner or loss of partner, a new job or different work hours, new pet/loss of pet, roomate - basically any change that the dog may not be comfortable with??
Any changes in her exercise routine?? Is she getting suffiecient exercise?

If allergies can't be diagnosed, my thoughts are that this has turned into more of a neurological problem or should I say obsessive compulsive problem OR it has become habit forming. Does she have anxiety?? Is she a nervous type dog??
{It's kind of like when a dog has a hot spot, the more they lick it, the worse it gets - and for many dogs it starts to become a habit because the licking makes it feel better, but in actuality, it makes the spot worse}
Old May 25th, 2006, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copper'sMom
here's my 2 cents worth! LOL

Has there been any change in your life/routine that may have affected your pooch? ie. a new partner or loss of partner, a new job or different work hours, new pet/loss of pet, roomate - basically any change that the dog may not be comfortable with??
Any changes in her exercise routine?? Is she getting suffiecient exercise?

If allergies can't be diagnosed, my thoughts are that this has turned into more of a neurological problem or should I say obsessive compulsive problem OR it has become habit forming. Does she have anxiety?? Is she a nervous type dog??
{It's kind of like when a dog has a hot spot, the more they lick it, the worse it gets - and for many dogs it starts to become a habit because the licking makes it feel better, but in actuality, it makes the spot worse}
yes...altho the change was made about 6-9 months before she started ever doing this-
ive thought about that too but it seems to me that it would have started right away if so,
but anyways...i moved from ohio to california in 2004 and then had her flown out to me DEC 2004 after i got settled...
she was fine for about the first 6-9 months, and then this started happening around last october...
also, me and my dog are very very close...she is practically my child and she is very attached to me. so i guess her anxiety level obviously has rose since this move because when i leave the apartment without her she would be alone...
back home there was always my sister or mom in and out, + we had a cat...
but i dont think anxiety is causing this specific problem because she will do it with me sitting right next to her or say, if i fell asleep she could be laying right next to me and when i wakeup she will have 1 chewed off...

you make a great point tho, and trust me ive thought about that many times...but i just dont know why it didnt start immediately and why she was good for those first 9 months.
Old May 26th, 2006, 02:05 AM
And Zoodle's Mom!

ok, so if it's not separation anxiety, it could be anxiety in general(non-specific). OR it could be neurological like obsessive compulsive type of disorder.
Regardless of the cause, I would talk to your vet about this being more neurological / habit type behaviour after of course, allergy tests have been ruled out! If there's no medical problem, chances are it's a behavioural problem. Boredom maybe???

Silly question: Does she have chew toys or bones to chew on? And does she get enough exercise??
Old June 12th, 2007, 04:47 PM

i have searched down this post to update it,
it has been a year now since making my initial post and we are still dealing with the same issues

sway has been seeing a dermatalogist for the past year,
environmental allergy testing was done and she was found to be allergic to over 20 different items...
he initially put her on ATOPICA, then she has been moved over time to a generic brand of CYCLOSPORINE, as that was cheaper for me (50mg every day).

sway tolerated this and after 3 or so months, we had a breakthrough and she got better...
THANK GOD at this point she no longer had to wear the cone and could be trusted not to lick her paws at all, even with me gone for long periods of time...
this went on for about 60 days and it was great.

unfortunately she began to have GI tract issues and violent diharrea episodes one night where her stools began running out uncontrollably, some even with intestine inner-linings...
she could do nothing but squat and wait, going all over my apartment and it was an extremely helpless feeling, seeing her :/
i had to take her in to 24 hour care ASAP and get her set up with fluids etc.

after a 2 day stay she was out and i began to feed her boiled chicken and rice and worked our way back into her dry food that at the time was CANIDAE.
we never took her off the cyclosporine.

a month later this happened again, where the stools began coming uncontrollably and she had to go back in for fluids a 2nd time.

my dermatologist suggested we immediately pull her off of the cyclosporine,
and a week later the skin problems had resumed...
this was around feb of this year.
he was concerned the cyclosporine was what was causing the GI issues...
he asked me to switch sways food, so i did...to NATURAL BALANCE POTATO & DUCK.

for the last 3 months (while off cyclosporine) i have tried a holistic approach, with my new family vet prescribing GUI PI TANG & EXTERNAL WIND, which are both chinese medicines...and have seen little to NO results in helping the biting and chewing of the feet.

the 1 good thing over the last 3 months is that there have been no GI issues since...

we are now at the point where my dermatologist has requested we attempt another run at the cyclosporine (cut back to 50mg every other day).
she has been on it now for about a week, and no GI issues yet, but it hasnt began to knock out the allergies yet either.

my dog has continually had to suffer with having to wear the cone when i leave my apartment...
that is still the only way i can somehow curb her habit to rip her padding off her feet.
1 episode of the padding being ripped open or all the way off and it causes my dog to be in pain for up to 2 weeks at a time, while it reheals...
it is truly a dilema that sucks both ways
i am at my wits end with this and am just begging for a result or something that can help and give her relief.

does anyyyyyyyyyyyone have any new ideas or information?
im thankful for anyones knowledge or wisdom!!!

Last edited by sways_bodyguard; June 12th, 2007 at 05:29 PM.
Old June 13th, 2007, 03:15 PM

Hi - I'm really sorry that your dog is having so much trouble. It must be a very frustrating situation.

I also have a foot chewing dog (I don't think it is as severe as what you are describing with your guy). In my case it seems to be a seasonal problem and therefore probably due to inhaled environmental allergies although I have never had her tested.

You said they tested her for environmental allergies - did they also test for food allergies as well? Just curious about the results for that.