Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Recipes for humans

Old September 21st, 2011, 01:57 PM

Recipe ... for a broken fridge?!

This really isn't the right forum for this, but it's kitchen related so I'm hoping it'll fit somehow .

I often throw the ball for the dog into the kitchen where she chases after it likes it's a squirrel and then brings it back. The other night I heard this horrible crack as she went in there and ran to find her standing there, totally normal. Everything looked to be in place and I was baffled by where it came from.

I found out last night, when I went to put some mac and cheese in the oven. She must have hit the warm oven door so hard that it cracked, all down the side.

Now I'm wondering what exactly I should do! Is it okay to cook in there even with the crack or will that make it worse?! I really, really, reallllly don't want to have to bring in someone to fix it.

Aaaaand go!
Old September 21st, 2011, 02:11 PM

sorry, can't help you with your oven door however I wanted to thank you for my visual. I imagined witnessing this and broke out laughing. My version took on a almost cartoon like appearance. I walk in the kitchen to check what the noise was, the dogs looks up at me and says with a Bart Simpson like response, "I didn't do it", while stars circle he's head.
Old September 21st, 2011, 03:16 PM
Senior Contributor

Well Rose, if the oven door is cracked I don't suppose it's a huge danger as such (assuming you're not talking microwave oven). I would think, and I could be totally wrong here, that at most you may lose a fair amount of heat from the oven. Your food may take longer to cook, and your kitchen will get warmer. Again, I'm not a repairman though. Have you tried to call a repair shop that carries your brand and ask? My oven door comes off, so perhaps you could just order a new door and put it on yourself. Glad the dog's okay though.
Old September 21st, 2011, 04:00 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

You can order oven doors and they're easy enough to replace that even I can do it. That means it's really simple! My mechanical abilities are seriously lacking!

Is the crack in the door itself or in a window in the door?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old September 22nd, 2011, 01:18 PM

Hahah it was definitely a funny site! It's only cracked on the exterior plate of glass, not the interior so I'm thinking it will be okay.

I did look into ordering though but I'm not much of an online shopper. I checked Amazon and this site PartSelect.com and found the glass, but I'm just going to wait a bit before I order.

Anyone have any experience with either?
Old September 22nd, 2011, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
You can order oven doors and they're easy enough to replace that even I can do it. That means it's really simple! My mechanical abilities are seriously lacking!

Is the crack in the door itself or in a window in the door?
It's the window in the door!
Old September 22nd, 2011, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Dancer View Post
Glad the dog's okay though.
She was totally unfazed by the whole thing! I'm glad she's okay too. That will be the last time I throw balls into the kitchen.
Old September 22nd, 2011, 03:09 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Not sure how hard it is to replace just the glass, but the whole door is a cinch. (pls don't ask how I know )

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old September 22nd, 2011, 03:16 PM
Senior Contributor

if its cracked right through and you use it , you could run the risk of it cracking more or exploding...
Old September 23rd, 2011, 07:33 AM

I meant to say I found the door online, not the glass! Mixed up my words.

Luckily, I'm not much of a chef haha so I haven't had to use it since. I'm thinking I will go ahead an replace it though, just for the peace of mind.

Thanks for your help everybody, I really appreciate it.