Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 23rd, 2004, 10:45 AM

Exclamation HELP! I'm desperate

Help! Here’s my problem. We bought a West Highland Terrier 3 years a go when he was 6 mos. We were living with my in-laws at the time and were waiting for our house to be built. Since we would be moving into a new subdivision with no grass and my wife was pregnant and wouldn’t be able to walk the dog to the park with a 1 ½ year old, we decided to train him to go on paper in a bin. It worked great and he had very few accidents.

However, as soon as we moved to our new house and tried to keep him going in the bin, he avoided it completely. He would urinate around the bin and in other rooms, but NEVER in the bin. As soon as we got grass, we tried getting him to go outside. He seems to do most of his business outside, but still marks around the house. And he hasn’t figured out how to let me know he has to go. We reward him when he goes, but he still goes around the house.

He especially loves to urinate on things on the floor. If any piece of clothing is on the floor, you can bet that it has been urinated on. Even if a comforter from the bed is touching the ground, it will be urinated on. He is not neutered, will that change anything? We are desperate, we know we have made mistakes with him, but our kids love him and despite this HUGE problem, he is a great dog.

Can anyone give any advice please??