Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old June 12th, 2003, 09:27 PM

Problem with mixing kittens...

I have had my 2 girl kittens since they were 6 wks old (Now 13 wks old). They are sisters, short-haired, black and white in color. About a wk ago I got another female kitten, white and fluffy. They don't get along. The 2 older girls paw at the younger 1, growl, hiss at her, fight with her and generally dislike her. I even need to put her up on a chair to eat, or else the other 2 won't let her eat. She is smaller than the other 2, so today 1 of the girls was licking on her, and I got worried. The younger 1 tries to lay with them and play with them, but they don't let her. The younger 1 seems to know the older 2 don't like her, and she seems lonely, and meows alot. My husband and I have tried to do all we can, but it isn't working. The 2 other girls don't come around me anymore, I think they are angry with me for bring the other 1 home. I'm not sure what to do anymore. I was wondering if anyone else has gone through this and if so, if they could give me some advice. Thanks, Susan*
Old June 13th, 2003, 11:19 AM

my experience has always been that it takes several weeks before they are fully used to eachother.
It sounds like your cats are displaying normal territorial behaviour. Leave them be and don't interfere unless the little new kitten is in danger . Otherwise , feed it a little ways away or stay near while it eats and then let them find their ranking order .
Before you know it life will be peaceful again.
Old June 13th, 2003, 12:22 PM

Thank you...

Thank you, it makes me feel better to know that other people have had this problem. I always thought that territorial behaviour was something only males did, and the only time female got defensive was when their offspring was at stake. I know it's a little sexist, but that's what I learned in school. lol Thanks again for the help, and I'll keep everyone updated on how things are going.
Susan*
Old June 13th, 2003, 02:13 PM

I think it completely depends on the personality of individual cats.
I have one cat who is timid and who is always the first one to accept a new addition to our family. After about a day or two he'll go up to the new arrival ( be it cat or dog) and try to sniff them and he tolerates them eating his food ( you have to remember , food is kill and to have a total stranger try to eat your kill is not something any of us would appreciate,lol) .
I had another cat who needed about a month to warm up to any new addition and who would attack at the drop of a hat . He was my dominant resident cat and remained the most dominant.

Most cats I have had needed about two weeks, give or take a few days before they would stop growling and hissing.
Let them folow eachother, let them sniff, let them establish who is going to be the dominant one and who is middle and who is last ( lots of times when you add a new cat or dog, the ranking order changes ) .

I would make sure the new kitten has his/her own food dish and litterbox , I have always put them in the same room as the others but not right next to eachother at first.
If ( or should I say 'when' ) the other cats use that litterbox or eat that food, don't punish them, just make sure there is food or clean litter for the new one.

Keep in mind that the odd time cats never do warm up to eachother and that this is ok too. They can live in perfect harmony without ever being snuggled into a ball in front of the fireplace. I think that this is our perception of a harmonious home and not always theirs as well.
Old June 13th, 2003, 06:09 PM

Thank You....

Thank you for the helpful information... I think it's def. gonna take time. I have had them for a week or so and they still haven't warmed up to each other. But they are not as bad as they were at first. Hopefully they will get better. Thanks for the help

Susan*
Old June 16th, 2003, 06:59 PM

Exclamation My neighbor's kitten...

My neightbor's kitten (NK) came over to play today. I have been trying to get the neightbor's and my little kitten to play together, however, the NK really doesn't really play with her. Although, my 2 older kittens love to play with her...they even let her sleep with them in a huddled group on my lap today. However my little one isn't allowed. 1 of the older 2 is starting to become indifferent to the little 1. I guess this is better than nothing, lol.
Susan*
Old June 17th, 2003, 11:36 AM

One of your older kittens starting to ignore the newest addition is a great sign. that means he is starting to accept it being there.

Continue to leave them be, sounds like they all will be fine with time.
Old June 17th, 2003, 07:27 PM

Lightbulb Suggestions

Yes I am glad she is starting to be better with the little 1 however, I still think that the little 1 feels lonely. Do you have any suggestions on what I can do about that? Susan*
Old June 17th, 2003, 09:15 PM

All I can tell you is what I have done , and hope it helps. I am no expert, just another dog and (multiple) cat owner.

I tend to brush them with the same brush several times a day, so that they start smelling alike or at least familiar.
The other thing I have always done is play with them all. I just sit on the floor and start playing with their toys. I have several at hand, so that when one hisses there is another toy right there.
I have also always used little cat treats. It amazes me what a self-respecting cat will do for a piece of dried salmon or a pounce .

I have always been told that cats are loners and looking at the two I have at present, Sobe (who's 3 1/2 ) is usually alone. While he's a timid cat, he is not really all that keen on being snuggly with Rue ( who's about 8 months now) .
Rue will play and attempts to make Sobe part of the game , which most times will result in hissing or Sobe walking away.
At night however, they do play together for quite a good chunk of each night.

Sobe just prefers to watch bugs and birds and lie in a sunbeam.
On the other hand, Rue is a little spring , bouncing up and down all day long and only sleeps in the afternoon for any extended length of time.

Our dog ( a year old female) plays with both cats and hurds them all the time. She will hurd them into the same room, or at least attempt , and then prevents them from leaving.
The cats are used to it.
Old June 18th, 2003, 03:54 AM

Thank you. I happened to get up tonight, because I couldn't sleep. I decided to see if you wrote back. It's funny the things you said, because I do brush all of them with the same brush a lot. I got up at 4 AM on the East coast and all of the kittens were playing together, until just now (One of the kittens loves to sit on my lap when I type for some reason). It is nice to actually see them play together, and I guess as long as they do play with her at least some of the time, she won't be so lonely. The little 1 has even taught the 1 who is indifferent to her to also cry/meow for food when I'm giving it to them. How cute. Thanks, Susan*
Old June 30th, 2003, 12:08 AM

Red face Update...

All 3 of the kittens are playing and um, I suppose, play fighting. I hope it isn't real fighting, although sometimes I wonder. Ususally at least 2, the little 1, and a older1 sleep together. For me it is good to see this.They are all very protective of me and sleep on me or right next to me. Life is def. better. Thanks, Susan*