Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old May 20th, 2013, 12:13 AM

Am I choosing the right breed?

Hi Everyone,
Im planning to buy a puppy and Ive been looking around in the last few weeks to decide which breed I want. I really like the Boston Terriers, but I still have a few questions to ask to make sure that my new puppy and me gonna be happy together.:-)
I share an apartment with my cousin and we both work full time, different shifts though so most of the time someone is home. I dont have kids and Im not planning to have in the next few years, but I would like to have latter on.
So Im looking for a puppy that is happy in an apartment, doesnt bark too much (or can be trained not to), can be on its on sometimes, and likes kids. Giving a daily exercise/walk wouldnt be an issue, I like walking myself.
My only concern is the cold weather, they are sensitive, right? I live in AB, how can I walk my dog during winter?
I was also considering french bulldogs, and frenchtons(french bulldog X boston terrier), but I read it somewhere they take very badly if they are left alone and they mostly one person dog.
Any suggestions? Thank you
Old May 20th, 2013, 08:54 AM
Senior Contributor

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/bostonterrier.htm

I would suggest you look on line to learn more about Boston Terriers, they're very high energy dogs and need to get out to burn off their energy.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/search.htm

This link help a person find the a dog best for their lifestyle , there are a lot of web sites like this on line to use. to be fair to the dog you want it should fit your lifestyle as dogs end up in shelters when their
owners are not happy with them anymore.

Last edited by Barkingdog; May 20th, 2013 at 09:11 AM.
Old July 15th, 2013, 11:11 PM

I know this is a late posting but if you haven't found a puppy yet, I would suggest a Basenji. They are beautiful dogs native to Africa. They do great in apartments, don't shed, they are considered barkless though they do yodel, and they clean themselves much like cats. I have two and they are great for families but not so good with small pets since they have a high prey drive. I would consider them if I was in your situation.
Old July 16th, 2013, 08:11 AM
Senior Contributor

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/basenji.htm

According to this web site it does not sound a good dog for an apartment. And it said the dog does not like to get wet , that would made is hard to take out to pee in a rain storm.
And the OP never came back to post any more comment , not sure what that means
Old July 16th, 2013, 03:01 PM

Hi there,

Thanks for the advises Ive been reading on bostons and on other breeds too, and Im going with my first choice. Have spoken with a few breeders and Im on a waiting list for my puppy:-) Exciting times.
Old July 16th, 2013, 03:48 PM
Senior Contributor

I have a Boston, she is very quiet, gentle with kids and has a lovely personality. She does not walk in the heat and does not walk in the cold. Living 8 yrs in Alberta, you are very limited to walking seasons. Flat faced dogs get heat exhaustion easily.

Tags
boston terrier, buying puppy