Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Birds

Old March 4th, 2010, 10:42 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Menards' always has a house sparrow or two hanging out back by the bird feeder aisle. I always worry about them, but one of the clerks told me they usually find their way back out eventually. Don't know if he was just trying to make me feel better or not

That's a great shot, Carolyn! I just love chickadees!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 5th, 2010, 10:55 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Menards' always has a house sparrow or two hanging out back by the bird feeder aisle. I always worry about them, but one of the clerks told me they usually find their way back out eventually. Don't know if he was just trying to make me feel better or not

:
One of our local supermarkets often has a bird or two Hazel, they open up two large doors that are emergency exits, block them off from the public and usually the birds find their way out

I'm so hoping to hear a Redwing Blackbird this weekend, normally I hear one before I see them.....then the world is good
Old March 11th, 2010, 12:35 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Have you heard one yet, Chris? We're supposed to have our robins, red-winged blackbirds and bluebirds back, too, but I haven't seen a one

Counted 83 goldfinches under the feeders this morning, though. The rain is bringing the birds back to the Hazel Run Restaurants.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 11th, 2010, 10:30 AM
-

No Hazel ...I'm so hoping by the weekend though...My Robins generally come after the Redwings and Cowbirds....Bluebirds , I had one some years ago checking out a birdhouse, but it was already occupied by Tree Swallows as it is every year. My Wrens were back again last year, so I'm hoping for that......We have so many birdhouses that Pepe has made, I'm going to get him to place a few at the back of the yard and see if there are any takers.

This morning did bring the first Chippie to the feeders....I like Chippies . Oh, last night there was an Oppusum eating the bird seed.....Iggy was barking up a storm last night around 10pm, he never barks for nothing....Ethel looked through the window and saw Oppie, she went out and took some pics with her work camera and said she will email them to me once she gets to the office. When she does I'll post them.
Old March 11th, 2010, 10:38 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Cool!! I think opossums are real cute till they show their teeth I think they have the most teeth of any north american mammal!!!

If you're getting swallows and wrens and the bluebirds were checking out your yard, I'll bet the new one gets used, too! Maybe even put out two!

This weekend I'm going into town. I think I'm going to take the camera cuz I'm pretty sure there will be bluebirds and maybe even robins or red-wings along CF

Old March 11th, 2010, 10:52 AM
-

Quote:
Cool!! I think opossums are real cute till they show their teeth I think they have the most teeth of any north american mammal!!!

This is the first time I've seen one up close....s/he hissed

If you're getting swallows and wrens and the bluebirds were checking out your yard, I'll bet the new one gets used, too! Maybe even put out two!

I'll get him to put up a few then they can have their pick of colours....right now he has about 20 of them made plus a multi-plex, that one can be for sale though

This weekend I'm going into town. I think I'm going to take the camera cuz I'm pretty sure there will be bluebirds and maybe even robins or red-wings along CF
You know I will appreciate any/all of them
Old March 11th, 2010, 10:54 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

I'll try!

Unfortunately it's supposed to rain. If it rains, I'll have to take the pics from inside the car because the new camera isn't 'water friendly'...

Old March 11th, 2010, 11:05 PM
Doggie Wench

I saw my first Pileated Woodpecker this morning . I'm grateful for this thread...otherwise I probably wouldn't have been paying as much attention to the kinds of birds I see .

So this would be a female? She wasn't shy at all. I went back to the garage, dragged out a ladder to lean up against the fence so I could get a better view of her.

I'm going to have to start saving up for a new camera though...my zoom sucks .
Attached Images

Old March 11th, 2010, 11:16 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Cool pics, LP! Whether your zoom sucks or not, those are !! It does look like it could be the female--no red cheek patch and the red on the crest looks a little less extensive than in a male.

I would love to know how everyone is getting close enough to take pics of pileateds!!! I've been trying to sneak up on ours for weeks and they've been avoiding me like the plague...

Old March 12th, 2010, 09:42 AM
-

Great going LP .....I'm guessing they obviously feel safe and secure to let you bring in a ladder for a closer look. They must find you a charmer
Old March 13th, 2010, 06:13 PM
-

I saw my first Redwing Blackbirds this morning, 2 of them , they were eating on the ground around the feeders.....Naturally Pepe said that they weren't Redwings, he couldn't see a red bar on their wings...said "they're Starlings" He still wasn't convinced when I pointed out that they had black beaks and a yellow bar on the wings. To solve the problem, they took flight and he could then see their red bar :
Old March 13th, 2010, 06:43 PM
Doggie Wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris21711 View Post
I saw my first [COLOR="Red"]Redwing Blackbirds [COLOR="Black"]this morning...
Just googled them and found an audio of a male's call on wikipedia...neat . It's on the right hand side just below the map.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red-winged_Blackbird
Old March 13th, 2010, 07:17 PM
-

If you call back to them LP, generally they will return your call

I tried the link LP, not working for me...........sigh

Last edited by Chris21711; March 13th, 2010 at 07:22 PM.
Old March 13th, 2010, 10:45 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I went into town today, hoping to see robins, bluebirds, red-winged blackbirds...even grackles. Nada!!

However, I did see two northern harriers (they were in silhouette, but by the size, I'd say females), two female kestrels, on red-tailed hawk of unknown gender, and 8 bald eagles, all adult except for one 2nd-year bird The Canada geese are back, too--still in flocks, but definitely moving in pairs.

Spring, she is a'comin'!

Old March 14th, 2010, 04:57 PM
-

That's a pretty nice tally for one day Hazel , such handsome birds too.....The Redwings haven't been by today as far as I have seen. This coming week is suppose to be a dandy weatherwise so I'm expecting to see more, probably Cowbirds too.

I think I've said before that I have never seen Bald Eagles, it must be a splendid sight to behold
Old March 14th, 2010, 05:24 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I have some pics...not good ones, but pics... I'm working on something else right now, but when I do the Olympics pics for you, I'll try to resize a couple soaring eagle pics and post them here.

Old March 14th, 2010, 05:43 PM
-

Quote:
I have some pics...not good ones, but pics... I'm working on something else right now, but when I do the Olympics pics for you, I'll try to resize a couple soaring eagle pics and post them here.
Cool ......
Old March 14th, 2010, 05:49 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Course, if you want to see them in person, you'd have to visit

Old March 14th, 2010, 06:14 PM
-

Quote:
Course, if you want to see them in person, you'd have to visit
The day we win the lottery Hazel, we're gonna buy a nice big Motorhome and tour by land............You'll see me then
Old March 14th, 2010, 07:38 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Still working on the Olympics pics, Chris...but here's one of the eagles and some road obstacles I came across on the trip

Name:  Bald eagle at Lowes Crk Park 3-13-10.JPG
Views: 181
Size:  92.8 KB

Name:  Domestic geese 3-13-10.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  61.5 KB

Old March 14th, 2010, 07:40 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

And I was just out on the deck a little while ago and there was a robin singing in the tree and one hunting for worms in a driveway puddle

Does this mean I have to start rummaging around for my bathing suit?

Old March 15th, 2010, 08:59 AM
-

A soaring Eagle Hazel, what a beautiful sight

Which type of Geese are those?...I only ever see Canadian Geese and domesticated ones on farms.

And the Robin....where is a pic to prove it ....maybe I will get my eyes on one this week, my g/f said that they are around in Big Town, so if they edge a little further North then I might be lucky. We have a Crabapple Tree right in front of our bedroom window, they like to forage there.

I did see a Starling this morning.......rare, I know
Old March 15th, 2010, 09:31 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Not sure on the geese, Chris--some sort of domestic geese, though. The silly geese take naps on the road there I have to stop for them a lot.

I'll try to get some pics of robins but they're pretty shy. They always are for a few days after they arrive--that's why I was so surposed to hear one singing. Normally it takes them 2-3 days to feel comfortable enough to sing after they've gotten here.

Old March 15th, 2010, 10:14 AM
Senior Contributor

sorry to butt in, but I had to show you how red the "waddle?" is on the turkey toms now that mating season is here, the pic really doesn't do them justice, it is such a bright red!!!

Old March 15th, 2010, 10:23 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

It's not butting in if it's birds, Melinda. Very handsome turkeys! They always look like wizened little ol' ladies to me, though, with the big eyes and the babushkas.

We should be seeing more around here this time of year--I think the coyote and wolf activity in the area is taking its toll

Old March 15th, 2010, 10:27 AM
Senior Contributor

we still have the same 4 toms we started out with last fall, funny though, no hens...
Old March 15th, 2010, 10:31 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

I believe hens and toms keep to different flocks, Melinda, except on the breeding grounds, so there are probably fem flocks, too, just using a slightly different territory.

Old March 15th, 2010, 10:38 AM
Senior Contributor

ohhhhhh ok, I didn't know that!!
Old March 15th, 2010, 11:00 AM
-

Really clear pics Melinda
Old March 15th, 2010, 11:18 AM
-

Chris's new birdy
Attached Images