Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Gardening

Old February 26th, 2008, 02:29 PM
Garden nut

It's not too early to garden!

Well I'm getting a bit ahead with growing stuff, but anyone can grow short season greens in a plastic window box. I call them troughs.

So about to plant some seeds - the first of the year. Going to make Salad in a Trough. It will stay inside near a sunny window spot.

Going to plant two types of baby leaf lettuce, spinach, tiny white tipped radishes, orange beet root and a couple Cos romaine lettuce. Fresh salad stuff ready to eat in 25-30 days.

Yum!
Sandy Belle Sheeba - born 11/14/07 at 12:30 pm Linx Jasper
Old February 26th, 2008, 03:07 PM
Young at Heart

You are getting a head start! I can't grow veggies in my yard - Bobby would eat them all!
Old March 2nd, 2008, 07:41 AM
Garden nut

It's just an indoor salad thingie, nothing big. Seeds are starting to germinate now. Saw some root action on the lettuce seeds. yay! They are under seed lights now. On warm sunny days they will go into the front sun porch, but the rest of the time they get artificial lighting.

And the wild leek seeds are sown and in the fridge for their first 3 months cold stratification. Empty plastic ricotta cheese containers work great for that.

For the really adventurous, you can grow early spring potatoes in a split open bag of ground or a large pot. Home grown baby potatoes are way cheaper than the ones at the store. Plus they taste better. In Victorian times they used to plant early potatoes in big pots in the glass greenhouses for the wealthy to enjoy, while the servants were still eating last year's big potatoes and carrots.

If you can find the DVD, The Victorian Kitchen Garden (BBC production) is a very interesting show and full of knowledge!
Old March 2nd, 2008, 09:42 AM
Young at Heart

I've never done a herb garden and only once did I plant veggies - Can't figure out where to grow these buys that the dogs and cat won't get them... hmm..
Old March 2nd, 2008, 12:03 PM
Garden nut

Well if you have the inclination, $$ and space, why not a lean-to greenhouse that hugs your house or a fence which would then be closed in with glass or corrugated polycarbonate panels? Only set you back a couple of thousand. Ouch! Or do like we did, buy 2 x 3 lumber and cover the frame with plastic sheeting from a roll.

I wanted to ask you but too lazy to make a PM, but do you know anyone that grows a flower called Sea Holly? Latin name is Eryngium. I'd like to get some seeds of that beauty. Just the perfect texture and color for my flower beds.

I put out a general call on the net to try and trade for those seeds already. Maybe something will come of it soon, I hope.

Isn't it funky?
Old March 23rd, 2008, 11:43 PM
Senior Contributor

Check out this site they have lots and lots of bulbs/seeds etc. the Blue Sea Holly you are looking at is good in Zone 5, you can find the zones on this site also.

http://www.veseys.com/ca/en/store/sp...y/blueseaholly
Earlier this evening I was ordering some plants from them for my garden this summer. I am not a great gardener but I keep trying. I love flowers. pbp
Old March 23rd, 2008, 11:51 PM
Senior Contributor

Uhh? I think that looks kinda like a weed I've seen somewhere. Do the leaves look a bit like nettles?
Old March 24th, 2008, 10:31 AM
Garden nut

We order from Veseys every year and have been regular customers for about 7 years.

I am always disappointed in their bulb sizes and root health, so I never order those from Veseys any more. More than half usually are dried/dead on arrival, and the rest are so small that it will take 3 years to get to a proper size. IMO its just not worth ordering live plants from them.

Seeds is another matter altogether. Veseys seeds are always excellent. Just planted some oriental greens called Mizuna about 48 hours ago and they are all germinating.

About the Sea Holly... there are hundred of varieties.

http://gardensnorth.com

Eryngium agavifolium - native to Argentina, zone 5

Eryngium amethystinum - Native to the Balkan peninsula and Aegean region, zone 3/4

Eryngium caucasicum - From the Caucasus, southern Russia and into northern Iran, Zone 3

Eryngium planum - Zone 2

Eryngium variifolium - North Africa, variegated foliage, Zone 5

Eryngium yuccifolium - North American native, Zone 3

I want either the caucasicum or the planum or the amethystinum. All are hard to find, except from that site and hubby says I can't spend any money. Oh well, maybe next year.

Only a few are blue. The rest are silver or white.