Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old December 28th, 2006, 11:09 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

food help please

first off I hope everyone had a MERRY CHRISTMAS.With the innova when we bought it the store told us to be carefull with the feeding with going from nutro high energy to the innova.because it being a higher quality food.on nutro he was getting 6 cups a day and doing great on it.on innova it says 41/4 cups.well we give 1 1/2cups in the morning and evening and 1 1/4 cups before bed.for the 4 1/4 cups.and he is still hungry.and i don't want to over feed.on nuto with what we were feeding he was doing good not looking for more food.now he eats and keeps going back to his dish and the food container.we were told he would eat less on innova.but thats not the case.
Old December 28th, 2006, 11:24 PM

Needing less and acting hungry are different things. When doggies love their food, a lot of them will eat till they bloat... What's important is the weight. If his weight goes up or down in the next couple weeks, then you adjust the food intake.

He is used to a certain quantity in his belly, and that is what is making him hungry too. What I did when I switched my doggies to better food was keep the same amount (even though the stools get a bit loose) and then gradually cut it back 1/8th of a cup every couple days...
Old December 29th, 2006, 12:36 AM
Jag and Gingers dad

there is still nutro in the food.so i will try to stick with the 4 1/4 cups.Ben is also on innova and is doing great he looks like he has put some weight on which he needs being under weight.he was 6 to 8 cups a day as per vet for being under weight and on innova he's happy on 3 cups.both dogs are happier less poops.and ben more energy to try and keep up with jag.
Old December 29th, 2006, 12:48 AM
Jag and Gingers dad

he's only been on innova for a week but there is a noticable difference.would post pic but my pc is not working good hard drive died last week since new one was put in my card reader doesn't work.he looks thicker in the front legs and chest.i just don't want him to get fat.so i will keep trying to figure it out thanks prin.
Old December 29th, 2006, 12:55 AM
Blue eyed funny farm

Feeding Guidelines also arent definate amounts, each dog is different. I would feed him what he is used to and then gradually reduce it like Prin suggested.

A friend of mine has recently done the *crap food* to Evo as well and was having the same issue, her dog was always acting hungry. Its been about a month now and she has it all straightened out, but feeds a tad bit more than the "bag" recommends.
Old December 29th, 2006, 02:29 AM
Jag and Gingers dad

ok i will feed the same for now.he liked eating the nutro.but i think the innova has a better taste for him.well maybe the amount will stay the same he is off the walls out side and just started slowing down a little in the house.so mabe with his energy he might he more or the same on this food.but i will watch him.thanks.
Old December 30th, 2006, 02:33 PM
-

Try adding some cooked green beans mashed up to his food as it helps to make them feel full. If you use the canned ones make sure you get "no salt added" variety. It's better to use the bagged frozen ones though.
Old December 31st, 2006, 01:52 AM
Jag and Gingers dad

Thanks for the tip rainbow.right now he's still on 6 cups but doing good on it.his chest and legs look more muscular now.i mixed the nuto into the innova alot better so he is getting more innova and that seams to be helping out.
Old December 31st, 2006, 02:11 PM
-

When you get Jag switched over completely to the Innova I wouldn't feed him more than the 4 1/4 cups which is the amount for an extremely active dog. Innova has 557 K calories per cup which is fairly high.
Old January 2nd, 2007, 12:18 AM
Jag and Gingers dad

i will do that rainbow.i mixed it up so he's getting more innova now so i will slowly start cutting him back now.thanks
Old January 5th, 2007, 05:08 AM
Jag and Gingers dad

rainbow.we are feeding jag 3 times aday for the 4 1/4 cups every 8 hours.is that good or should i change it up.with only 2 times aday.thanks.