Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old December 15th, 2008, 06:36 PM

new puppy

i ahve just brought a new puppy home, she seems to be looking to hide under tables, chairs etc, whining a bit and panting....is this just anxiety or is something wrong?

also my step-mon keeps saying she has heartworms, but when i looked it up it says they take 5months to deveop, this puppy is 7 weeks old?? is it possible? Step-mom is also telling em to give the dog pepper....what will this do?

thanks in advance
Old December 15th, 2008, 06:52 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Hi and welcome to the forum.
First off - the puppy is only 7 weeks old? Too young to be taken from mom. They should be at least 8 wks, preferrably 12. This is the time the puppy needs to be socializing with her litter mates and mom. Mom should be teaching her important skills during this time. I would think the anxiety and hiding is normal. She is scared and terrified.

Why on earth would your step mom say the pup needs pepper? And why would she think the pup has heartworms in the first place? Possibly worms but if you got the pup from a reputable breeder the pup should have already been treated with meds to get rid of them. Of course if the pup was purchased from a byb who is in it just to make money then the pup probably hasn't had worm meds or he first shots.

Please make an appt with a vet and get the pup in asap for a complete checkup. Please, please do not give the puppy pepper!!

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old December 15th, 2008, 07:20 PM
Doggie Wench

I agree about the vet visit. Make sure Mom goes with you with a list of questions for him.

It would be a great idea if you can get to a library and find a recently dated book or two on taking care of puppies.

Good luck.
Old December 15th, 2008, 07:29 PM

Thank you for reassuring me, the puppy is a st bernard, one of a litter of 7, given to me (not bought even though i know the others are being sold) by my boss.

I will be getting a book or something, i didn't realise it was coming home with me yet, thought it was coming after christmas, and no i won't give it pepper, i thought that sounded odd!

It's due to go to the vet in the next week or two anyway for its injections and chip so i will ask the vet for advice, thanks for the help!
Old December 15th, 2008, 08:05 PM
-

Welcome to the forum! Your Saint was too little and too young to be taken from Mum but ... well, not your fault right?

She is scared of... well, everything. Wouldn't you be? Yup! Everything is way too loud and moves way too fast and smells funny.

You may want to look at limiting her environment (quiet place without too many big, brash humans, no loud music ~ you get the idea ~ just you and her if you can manage it). You also need to think about proper nutrition for an underage puppy (Mum's milk and the colostrum that comes with it is pretty darn important).

Please do see a Vet ~ this week rather than in a week or two.
Old December 15th, 2008, 08:14 PM

So what do you think about nutrition then? the mother rejected the pups at three weeks, since then they have been on warm milk, the normal kind and now eat puppy food as well, i'm carrying this on, any other suggestions? i'm trying to keep things as normal as when she was at her home, so sleeps in kitchen, didn't have time to buy a bed so i made one from a box with old pillow and towels! she seems to like it and has now settled a little.

unfortunatley i know the previous owner couldn't really care for the puppies, the litter was not purposely bred and was to a degree unexpected, therefore the money to do all the extra stuff hasn't been there, as well as two adult dogs a litter of 7 having to be looked after after the mothers rejection had been tough on the poor guy!

i don't really know alot about vets bills either, am looking into a pet plan for future time but for this time, i know it won't cost alot for the checkup but if anything else needs doing am looking for a vet that if everything will cost alot will let me pay in installments. I'm doing the best i can!

all help and advice apprieciated!