Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior > Cat behavior forum - cat training

Old September 10th, 2011, 09:48 PM

Cat behavior suddenly changed

I have 2 cats and one dog, all get along fine. The cats are litter mates with very different personalities. Daisy, aka fat cat, is a loving, not very adventurous gal, she mostly likes to sit on my lap, purr, and sleep. She has only ventured half way to the end of our lot and she has never been out at night, all in all a very shy and quiet cat, until today. When I got home from work she was running around on high alert, her back was spasamming, and she runs up the stairs, down the stairs and seems happiest in dark corners by herself. She tried to sit on my lap but jumped down very quickly, claws out for better jumping traction, ouch! She now sits for a few minutes on the floor next to me or my husband and then off like a terror. I've petted her everywhere and she has no injuries, she ate her dinner as usual. She is twitchy, on the lookout, ears always moving, darting and it almost looks as if she is crawling or scrunched down. Could something have scared her earlier on? She has been like this for about 5 hours...any ideas?
Old September 11th, 2011, 06:51 AM

I would take her to the vet to rule out anything medical. Even though you've petted her down and can't see any injuries, doesn't mean she may not be hurting elsewhere?
Old September 11th, 2011, 06:47 PM
Critter Lover

Very frightening. poor baby let us know what happens. Hugs and purrs
When a Cat adopts you there is nothing to be done about it except to put up with it until the wind changes. TS Elliot
Old September 11th, 2011, 09:37 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

There is a condition cats can develop where they start twitching along their backs mostly, I think my Nino has a mild case of it. I can't remember what it's called right now. I think it's some sort of skin sensitivity. I will have a look and see if I can find it. I think it was discussed on here a while ago.
Old September 11th, 2011, 09:40 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

Here found a link about it, www.cathealth.com/hyperesthesia.htm

Don't know if it's exactly but may be something to check into
Old September 11th, 2011, 09:43 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

Nino used to be very twitchy when I first adopted him, and was only able to sit with me for short periods before he seemed to have to move. He's better now and only gets twitchy if him and one of my other boys are having arguements. Stress does seem to make it worse, he has pretty twitchy after our second move but it's been 2 months and he's pretty much quieted right down.
Old September 13th, 2011, 12:20 AM

I had something similar happen to one of my cats a couple years ago. Definitely rule out any medical issue that may have caused this to happen. With mine we believe she got spooked while in her closed litter box and she just went off the deep end. It last a couple months and then she was fine. She's never had an episode like that since.