Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Gardening

Old January 20th, 2006, 06:27 PM
owned by Tucker

Hey all you gardeners!

Now that its winter what do you guys do? Do you look at flowers and seed books and plan for next year, or do you get into indoor gardening? I like to get into indoor gardening, and hopefully can make it to Canada Blooms this March.
Old January 20th, 2006, 08:55 PM
<-----nut ball

I don't a yard or even a balcony, so all my stuff is indoor. I have a LOT of tropicals...actually...I just checked and ALL my plants are tropical and/or warm weather plants. Most of them are dormant right now, so all I have are my luck bamboo, my christmas cactus (which bloomed!) and my cactus garden to look at.

I didn't make it to Canada blooms last year, as I spent WAY too much money the year before. maybe this year I will go.
Old January 20th, 2006, 08:59 PM

I was wondering, with this winter being so mild, and the snow melting every other day, whether the plants in the garden will wake up sooner? I'm thinking of getting out there and quickly planting some daffodils and tulips, seems as I missed my chance in autumn! The ground is not frozen at all.

Ebony - miniature schnauzer
Old January 21st, 2006, 08:40 PM
cat slave

YAY for spring!!!!

I love collecting plants...and pets
I like going for the oddities. I had this great edelweiss I bought and it dried off must get me another one.

But when spring comes I'm planning on putting up some of those balcony railing containers and get some petunias and daisies. Trailing petunias are so great! ooohhh and herbs, and maybe my lemon tree will decide to bloom this year lol

And I want to plant some sweetpeas. They're the cutest flowers!
and I'm growing some Hyacynths and Daffodils inside. They've started poking their littles leaves out

I love gardening! I'll be out at the Botanical garden inspecting their flower beds as soon as April hits.

maybe we can compare garden pics when everything starts blooming
Old January 22nd, 2006, 10:18 AM
owned by Tucker

You know I have 35 house plants and some are container gardens. Isn't that crazy, I love orchids and succlents the most.
Old January 22nd, 2006, 02:51 PM
Senior Contributor

I've just started growing orchids. In our new home we have a great place for them in our master bath by the jacuzzi. They seem to be doing well, but the trick will be if they bloom again.
Old January 22nd, 2006, 02:55 PM
Senior Contributor

I have a lot of houseplants, but I too love cacti and succulents, especially the weird ones.

I have one succulent called the "Carrion Flower". It blooms every year. Many people find it gross, but it fascinates me. Here's a closeup of it at last blooming.
Attached Images

Old January 22nd, 2006, 03:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Is that the one that smells like dead meat? The one I find gross is the Venus Flytrap. I have more benign succulents like a large jade plant, hen & chicks, donkey tail, and pork & beans.
Old January 22nd, 2006, 05:12 PM
Senior Contributor

I too have a large Jadeplant+another 20or so houseplants,a house is not a home without plants and animals
I am however a little concerned about all my garden plants,the weather has been way too warm,my Magnolia-tree is looking ready to burst its buds
If I see anything else coming up,I will cover them with hay to protect them,it's bound to get colder sooner or later.
We will have lots of work this spring,we are pulling up a 30 trees cedar-hedge and I always enlarge my perrenial garden,every year...so much for saving money planting perrenials.
Here's a reminder of what's to come..
Old January 22nd, 2006, 05:15 PM
Senior Contributor

oops,forgot the pic
Attached Images

Old January 22nd, 2006, 07:20 PM
Senior Contributor

That is one beautiful garden, chico. BTW, is that your pool?

I have a community plot down the road, about 12X10 feet. We're only allowed to plant 25% flowers. Some people don't plant ANY, which I can never understand. I am always looking for good cutting flowers (annuals) to plant. If anyone has suggestions, feel free!

In a few weeks, I'll be starting my tomatoes and other veggies inside, always a pleasant experience in the dog days of winter.
Old January 22nd, 2006, 07:39 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Is that the one that smells like dead meat?
Yep. It's pollinated by flies, so the dead meat colour and odour attracts them.

Don't you love it?
Old January 22nd, 2006, 08:36 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2
If I see anything else coming up,I will cover them with hay to protect them,it's bound to get colder sooner or later.

I've seen this mentioned before. I understand mulching, but living in Calif., I'm totally ignorant of what's involved with "covering with hay". Do you mean completely covering shrubs with hay? or just around the roots and base? Or . . in Japan I saw little hay teepees erected over small shrubs?
Old January 23rd, 2006, 01:47 AM

Wow, I'm so far behind... I just watered my 2 plants for the first time since November. It's survival of the fittest both inside and outside here... The snow got really thin for a bit and I'm sure all the grass will be gone in the spring. I guess I'll just have to live vicariously though you gardeners...
Old January 23rd, 2006, 08:16 AM
Senior Contributor

Prin,when I was your age,plants were not very high on my agenda either,since I am a"few"years older producing a beautiful flower is the height of excitement
Badger,I've shown this pic sooo many times,but my pool keeps me from going nutty in the summer-humidity,we've had it for 15 yrs..
Glasslass,I cover my most precious bushes,like my Rhodo with burlap and my dwarf Alberta pine and put mulch,or hay around my rose-bushes.
The tulips even if the start peeking out,usually survive.
Attached Images

Old January 23rd, 2006, 01:51 PM

I think we're going to have a pets.ca pool party at your house this summer, chico... It's like a little resort. Oh, but then we'd probably trample your grass... Nevermind.
Old January 23rd, 2006, 02:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I am however a little concerned about all my garden plants,the weather has been way too warm,my Magnolia-tree is looking ready to burst its buds
Hmmmm..nothing bursting it's buds in front of my house today. I'm moving where you are!!!!
Attached Images

Old January 23rd, 2006, 04:29 PM
Senior Contributor

But Lucky,that is a beautiful picture and I do like some snow,better for my plants and the farmers.
I am sure we'll still get some,winter is far from over..
Old January 23rd, 2006, 04:34 PM
Senior Contributor

Prin,yes,it's our own private little sanctuary and you are all welcome,except it's not a large pool and only 5 feet deep,but is great for us..
I could not imagine being without it..I'l cut some grass or trim some hedges,then go for a dip,then I'll cut some more grass etc..and go fo a dip
Also you can trample my grass anytime,after quitting pesticide a few years back,it's not that great,but I really don't care too much,as long as it's green.
Old January 23rd, 2006, 09:49 PM

Five feet is perfect for me- just enough to have my head above water (and not feel like I'm drowning...).

That's the life, eh? Work and play, equally split. I don't know if I could do it without getting a super sunburn. Water tends to act as a magnifying glass on my skin... I'll tend the bbq fully clothed... It's a very pretty pool and garden.
Old January 23rd, 2006, 10:47 PM
cat slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Rescue
Hmmmm..nothing bursting it's buds in front of my house today. I'm moving where you are!!!!
LOL Oakville isn't a tropical all year long summer town you know :P
I'm sure they have snow too. Well it might've melted