Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Rescue (Adopt) a Pit Bull

Old November 15th, 2004, 03:03 PM

Wanting to Adopt a Pit pup

Hello,
We are new to the site and we are looking to adopt a female pit bull puppy. We recently lost our beloved 12yr. old pit, Sasha to cancer and we are ready to open our hearts and home to a puppy. If there are any out there for adoption, please let us know. We have a 6yr. old, so we would prefer a younger pup so that we can train and socialize her.
Old November 15th, 2004, 03:23 PM
banned user

You may want to say where you are
Old November 15th, 2004, 04:02 PM

OOPs -

We are in Guelph Ontario!!!
Thanks, Sneaky!
Old November 15th, 2004, 05:03 PM

Check out www.petfinder.com

Enter Pit Bull Terrier and your location and you'll see all of the pit bull's available to you! There are many.
Old November 15th, 2004, 06:15 PM
Senior Contributor

No shortage of pit bulls, even puppies.

To see a gorgeous, unusual tri-colour 6 month old bitch, check this thread
HERE
Old November 15th, 2004, 06:19 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

ummm

Could we refer to B*tches as females? lol, it just always makes me cringe. Might just be my petpeeve.
Old November 17th, 2004, 02:17 PM

Wonderful 4 year old female am trying to find home for

I have a amazing pit bull that I found in Sault Ste. Marie and our entire family has fallen in love with her. Unfortunately, I live in Kitchener-Waterloo and I am not allowed to keep her. We have put in an appeal with our city but most likely will not be granted permission to keep her. We love her dearly and need to find a loving family for her, she is a real people dog and is very sweet and well behaved. If you are interested, please let me know.
Heather
Old November 18th, 2004, 02:16 PM

My Female Is Having Puppies - Brampton

Hello There,

I Believe My Female Is Pregnant, The Only Thing Is I Do Not Know If The Pups Are Purebred. My Husband And I Recently Seperated, And I Found Out Only 3 Days Ago That My Baby Is Expecting Babies Of Her Own. If You're Will To Love A Pit That May Or May Not Be Purebred Let Me Know And We'll Talk Some More. My Pits Are Both Female American Red-nosed Terriers, And I'm Hoping The Pups Will Be Too.

Hope That Helped. Best Of Luck, Just Keep In Mind That If Its A Pit You Want, You Sadly May Be Running Out Of Time. Check Out The Toronto Humane Society They Have Tons Of Pits Up For Adoption. If You Have The Love To Give A Pit, Give It To A Rescue Who Probably Has Never Felt That Love, You Gain So Much More From An Animal Who Knows How Good Their Life Is Now That You've Rescued Them.
Old November 18th, 2004, 02:32 PM
Senior Contributor

I have a question Is it not somewhat scary adopting a pit bull,rottweiler and such not knowing there backround????And i mean all large breeds not just those.......ESpecially ones that were abused or neglected...
Old November 18th, 2004, 02:38 PM
Senior Contributor

You know that is what I thought but I have experienced the exact opposite. I find once they are comfortable and start to trust you they only want to please you. I found the one thing is that they cannot sense any fear from you. If they sense fear they will be the alpha dog if you let them. So even if they do things that make me a little leary I just try and never let them sense it or see it, which with a new dog you don't always know what to expect. But I have more fear of smaller dogs because I find they have a larger propensity to bite first. PS do we not spay and neuter this is part of responsible ownership
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old November 18th, 2004, 02:56 PM
Senior Contributor

Whinnie-poo, living in ON and breeding pit bulls is not exactly the best thing to be doing, since the shelters and rescues are packed with them.

I suggest you get your dog aborted and spayed and get your other dog spayed too, if she is not already, unless you want to see puppies you've bred being gassed in the shelter.

Heidi, if you adopt a dog from a rescue where it's living in a foster home, then you will know what kind of temperament it has.
Old November 18th, 2004, 03:03 PM

dangers of large breed rescue

My older female Pit Whinnie is a rescue, my younger Boo-Boo came from the litter Whinnie had shortly after we rescued her. I was terrified of pitbulls when I got Whinnie, and now I refuse to own another breed. I find that Whinnie is more openly loving and affectionate with me, she appreciates what I do for her 1000 times more then my puppy who has never known any different. Whinnie know what its like to live in unspeakable conditions, where Boo has never had a bad life. Boo pushes the limits more then Whinnie does, because she is fearless. Whinnie on the other hand, knows how good she has it now, and obviously never wants to leave my side, in fear of ending up where she started her life. Every animal in the shelter deserves the chance to be loved, and do you blame them for wanting humans to earn their trust & affection? They gave that freely as pups, and Humans turned on them as they grew, for whatever reason (excuse). These animals have been through and seen things I don't even want to imagine, and we have no reason to fear them, they have every reason to fear us.
Old November 18th, 2004, 03:18 PM

luckyrescue

I agree that living in Ontario & having a pregnant Pit-bull may not be smart, and if another person suggests to me that I abort my dog, I'm going to scream. I have placed 8 pups already in loving caring, local family homes, and I may not even have that many pups. This was an unplanned pregnancy, but these are not unwanted Pit's even if they were unplanned. If for some reason I do not place all the puppies, I'm not about to throw them out on the street or the first avaliable shelter. The ban has not been passed yet, and hopefully it doesn't go through. Please don't assume that I'm an in-experienced owner, just becuase I have a "PREGNANT PIT-BULL".
Old November 18th, 2004, 07:32 PM
Senior Contributor

Obviously "experienced" does NOT mean "responsible".
Old November 18th, 2004, 07:35 PM
Senior Contributor

Sorry,but I need to say something here.You say not to assume you are an in-experienced owner,but if you were a responsible owner,would you not of had her spayed?Especially since she is a pit?No the ban has not gone through,but just know something,it will be those pups that will be doomed.How does that make you feel?

As a member of the CKC,we too are fighting this ban.We have had many meetings in regards to this ban.Shelters are filled with these beautiful dogs.No thanks to these BYB's and irrisponsible owners who do not spay or neuter them.Also,how can you say that there are not unwanted pups if the pregnancy was unplanned?That sounds a little silly to me.
Old November 18th, 2004, 07:40 PM
Senior Contributor

There's no assumptions here WhinnieBoo. It's irresponsible not to spay or neuter your pets. Simple.

I have responded to your PM as well. I am disappointed to hear that Winnie's baby is pregnant after you placed all those dog, but Boo. I wonder if those dogs that you found loving and caring homes for still have those homes?? Do you keep in touch? Do you know that they haven't surrendered those dogs because of the mounting pressure that people are feeling from other unknowing citizens?
There are MANY people that can be excellent owners, but feel that they cannot deal with the pressure and confines of this potential ban.. some people do not deal with stress very well and have turned their dogs over.

But you're SURE that you can place these puppies in loving homes and will not be affected by this ban? Because ANY pit bull alive right now is suffering in some way or another!

I will suggest again, get Boo and Whinnie spayed. As a responsible owner, that's what you have to do... :sad:
Old November 18th, 2004, 08:24 PM

Maybe I missed something here...but is Winnie having Boo's babies??

I thought Boo was Winnie's baby....is this not right?
Old November 18th, 2004, 08:27 PM
Senior Contributor

Yes, Boo is Whinnie's baby... and now she's having babies fo her own.... :sad:

LOL, I guess I didn't type that well... it sounded alright in my head...
Old November 18th, 2004, 08:31 PM

For a minute there I thought this was inbreeding! Yikes...glad to have that cleared up!
Old November 18th, 2004, 09:59 PM
banned user

Hey Cranes... how's the search going? Have you found your new furbaby yet?
Old November 19th, 2004, 12:54 AM

Maybe not an in-experianced owner.... but definetly not the right person to be breeding. If it was unplanned AND you don't even know who sired the pups there is a big problem with not only your breeding, but your ownership as well. If you don't know who's been around your dog in order to get her pregnant, then what kind of owner are you?
You need to get your dogs spayed, because obviously you are not a responsible breeder.... and even if you were, there are way, way to many Pits in shelters right now due to the looming of the ban, no new Pit puppies need to be brought into this climate.
Old November 19th, 2004, 12:56 AM

Crane there is a gorgeous female White with black spots 1 yr old at Lincoln co. Humane society (www.lchs.ca) There is also one (can't remember what area... think London) named Purity on petfinders.com. Goodluck in your search!!!
Old November 19th, 2004, 10:23 AM
Senior Contributor

Are you talking about Sophie she is too cute
Old November 19th, 2004, 03:30 PM

Yep, Sophie.... what a cutie baby!!
Old November 22nd, 2004, 09:57 PM
Love all creatures

Cranes..I do have a neighbor that MIGHT be interested in "giving away" their pit bull puppy..this girl doesn't really have a clue about how to take care of the dog, and at least she's smart enough to realize that she probably won't be able to take care of it properly since she'll be giving birth to her child in about a week or so...she's still undecided..but if she does decide she cannot keep the dog, I will let you know. That goes for anyone that's interested.

Its a white pit bull puppy..very cute little thing. The girl named it Diamond. hmm..I'm not 100% sure if its a boy or a girl though. I think its a girl. I will keep you guys updated
Old November 26th, 2004, 08:51 PM

Message to Cranes

Greetings to the Cranes,

We may have just the pup you are looking for! Nala is a 9 mon. old pit (and possibly part lab). She is 9 mons old, spayed and had shots. She is very loving, child friendly and good natured. We are sad that due to personal circumstances we can't keep her :sad:

We are desperately seeking a loving home for Nala. If you would like to know more or need more info please post a reply and I'll send my contact info. We live in Toronto.

Coincidently, my son was actually thinking of naming her Sacha!

Hope to hear from you.
Old December 2nd, 2004, 12:29 AM
Meaghan Edwards

If you are still looking for a pup, please check out this:

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=10003
Old January 6th, 2005, 02:41 PM

I know someone who has a nine month old female pup

HI I do know of someone who has a nine month old female red nose she is looking to get a home for, I gave her name to a few rescue places as well, but she is in a hurry, she moves very soon and can not take her along. If you are interested I can pass on her email address to you.
my email is denisevaughan@rogers.com
Old January 6th, 2005, 03:55 PM
Senior Contributor

Can I ask why she waited so long to find a home for a pit bull. In the unfortunate mess this city is in regarding the bsl and people dumping their dogs because they think this ban will happen it is getting harder and harder to find homes. I am not saying this to be mean but what is she going to do if she cant find a home is this short time. By the way there is no law that says she cannot take her dog with her the landlord really has no recourse and if he does make her get rid of the dog at least she has bought more time. I learned a long time ago I never mention that I have a dog they dont ask I dont offer. But tell her to check the landlord tennant act I dont think you can say no to a dog. You can be asked to get rid of it for certain reasons but at least she can move with her dog and maybe keep him or take more time to find a good home. Good luck
Old January 6th, 2005, 04:15 PM

the puppy

Yes I know she could take the pup along, and she never told me why she waited so long. But I thought I would give it a try here and see if I could not help her out some. I do understand what you are saying however I have known landlords to be very mean if you try to enforce the fact you are allowed pets.
It is not fair, but true.