Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old February 7th, 2007, 01:52 PM

Cat not peeing properly - Answered by Dr. Van Lienden

Hi all,

a question: my very healthy-looking one-year-old female cat seems to crouch down and go through all the motions of having a pee (including covering it over) very often (we live in the country so I don't have full control all day, she goes outside), but nothing seems to come out, or at least only every fourth time or so. She doesn't seem bothered, she doesn't strain and there is no blood in her urine. As far as I can tell, she drinks a normal amount of water. We have a female dog (of which she is the boss - obviously) - and also her sister. Could it be marking in some way? I get scared when trawling the internet reading about what not being able to pee could mean, but she is so healthy and relaxed, I have to wonder (hope) there might be some psychological reason. Or if there is some medical reason why she seems to feel the need to pee, perhaps I could change something in her diet? Her sister eats the same food - only dry food, highish standard - and does not display this behaviour.

Thank you - any info or experience would be much appreciated!
Old February 7th, 2007, 01:58 PM

I would get her to the vet...sounds like she might have a bladder or kidney infection going on. Good luck!
Old February 7th, 2007, 03:36 PM
Senior Contributor

I agree, take her to the vet ASAP
Old February 7th, 2007, 05:04 PM

If she's trying and nothing is coming out, it could be a blockage and she needs a vet right away.
Old February 7th, 2007, 05:20 PM
Queen

Could be very serious I'd get to a vet asap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mijo
only dry food, highish standard
Kitty's should be getting wet as the main meal and dry only as snacking food imo. Also "high standard" can mean expensive crap. It's wise to research the ingredients to make sure it's not mostly filler, most of it is. Lots of good advice in the food forum here. Good luck.
Old February 17th, 2007, 01:12 PM
Administrator

Marking behavior manifests with cats backing against some vertical surface, so if your kitty is crouching in an open area (and not against a vertical surface) then you are most likely witnessing low grade cystitis urge
incontinence.

I can't be certain because all I have is your brief description, but if all other notes in your query are an accurate representation, then I propose that you make her diet a fifty percent high quality canned meat ration to her dry food. Felines are obligate carnivores, and a small percentage suffer from chronic low-grade cystitis when kept only on a dry diet. Make the dietary change and monitor over a thirty day period. It is also a good idea to have your veterinarian involved in this monitoring period. I would not reach for antibiotics at this point, in many situations as this a simple diet change improves cystitis. Keep us posted.

Dr. Van Lienden

Dr. Raymond Van Lienden DVM
The Animal Clinic of Clifton
12702 Chapel Road, Clifton
Virginia, U.S.A. 20124
703-802-0490