Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old September 19th, 2010, 10:04 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Thanks Frenchy. I don't see anything in the SBs that will hurt the kitties. I will pick up the ingredients soon and make some up. I may have to cook them lightly as most of my catty cats don't like raw. I saw in the other thread that you said they can be cooked. I may eliminate the egg whites.
Actually, they sound quite tasty. Nothing saying they aren't good for us either.
Benni still isn't eating on her own. I need something to break for her.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old September 20th, 2010, 08:05 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

30 mils is a lot for a sick kitty, good going . I can't tell how big Benni is, but Puddles is 8 lbs and I can only get 12 mils in her at a time when she is off her food. If you weren't feeding her, she would only get weaker and weaker .

Can you leave only 10 kibble in her bowl to see if she eats any? Though, if she had 30 mils of food and is not feeling well, she may not be hungry enough to eat them . I know Tempation treats are not so good health wise, but most kitties just love them, have you tried them? I think there is a fish flavour one.

Glad to hear about Dart and the decreasing of diarrhea .

Sending more your way.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old September 20th, 2010, 08:32 AM
Senior Contributor

For Dart,all the others are recovering too
I think that since Benni eats a little and keeps it down,she'll eventually get better.
Hopefully your vet will discover,Bennis problem is easy to fix
Old September 20th, 2010, 08:40 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
Actually, they sound quite tasty. Nothing saying they aren't good for us either.
I make mine raw so .... I never tasted them
Old September 20th, 2010, 01:41 PM
-

Were you able to get an appt for Benni today?
Old September 20th, 2010, 02:09 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
Were you able to get an appt for Benni today?
Benni goes to the vet at 9 tomorrow morning. I hope something can be found. She has been out of the crate and in the bathroom this morning. I can't let her with the others as she does not like other kitties. I am thinking if she was back in her outside home she would be doing better. That's another thing to talk to the vet about.
Wish her luck gals.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old September 20th, 2010, 02:29 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

The change in environment can cause stress on a lot of cats . Is she moving around at all?

How are her sleeping levels?

I hope you get some more answers tomorrow and of course sending lots and lots of

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old September 20th, 2010, 02:36 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
The change in environment can cause stress on a lot of cats . Is she moving around at all?

How are her sleeping levels?

I hope you get some more answers tomorrow and of course sending lots and lots of

I knew she would be a little stressed in here but it was necessary, may be still necessary, so I could give her Sub-Qs. She sleeps well. In face, that's all she seems to do. When I take her into the bathroom she explores for a few minutes and then lies on the bathmat. I'm really hoping to get some answers tomorrow.

Old September 20th, 2010, 05:29 PM
-

I think out of the crate would help her to not feel so confined.

Good luck at the vet tomorrow.
Old September 20th, 2010, 05:44 PM
Senior Contributor

Sorry to hear she's still not feeling well. Good luck at the vet tomorrow 14+. hope maybe its something with the mouth. Glad the other kitties are getting better from the diarrhea thing.

Cats leave pawprints on our hearts forever

Eclipse July 23th 2004
Serena July 23th 2004
Stormy April 20 2007
Zoey RIP March 2006-April 2 2007
Old September 20th, 2010, 06:42 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I hope you get some good news tomorrow, 14+! for Benni!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old September 20th, 2010, 09:25 PM
Willing cat servant

How's Benni doing?
nvm I was reading the wrong page when I posted this.
Well I'll pray for Benni as well today <3
Old September 20th, 2010, 10:03 PM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

I hope the visit goes well tomorrow
Lotsa and 's coming your way. I really hope Benni starts to eat and recovers soon. You must be so stressed

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old September 21st, 2010, 06:43 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

GOOD LUCK TODAY!

Sending lots of

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old September 21st, 2010, 07:23 AM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
GOOD LUCK TODAY!

Sending lots of
Ditto!!!
Good luck today!!!

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old September 21st, 2010, 11:57 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I see your back, I hope you have good news

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old September 21st, 2010, 12:04 PM
150% PRO S/N

Thank you so much for your ladies.
Well, nothing has changed. The vet is still saying Cholangiohepatitis complex. Benni is now on Prednisone, Hepato support vitamins, more antibiotics for another two weeks, and (I know) I buckled and got two cans of the AD to try to feed her just to get something down. She did do some bloodwork but I can't remember what it said. I will get a copy soon. The vet wants me to feed her smaller amounts more often and to continue the Sub-Qs. So.... it's a matter of she will either start fighting this thing or she will have to be put down. I am praying very hard for the former.

Last edited by 14+kitties; September 21st, 2010 at 12:17 PM.
Old September 21st, 2010, 12:14 PM
Senior Contributor

14+, at this point as long as she eats something, I don't see anything wrong with buying her that food. Hopefully she will start to eat and the meds will help her get better.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old September 21st, 2010, 12:24 PM
ZiggyZuzuZoeyRaggzy&Keena

Aw 14+ I am sure she is going to rally. I hear you on the AD but I have to say that when we got Ziggy last fall and he was so so sick and had not eaten I brought him to the vet (again) and she opened a can of that stuff...he was climbing all over himself to get at it and finished the entire 5.5oz can in probably 10-15 mins. I did buy a can to bring home because I just wanted him to eat anything so we could get the pills in him. Hopefully Benni will have a similar reaction too

Fight sweet Benni, fight

Ginger and Hobo at the Bridge (Valentine's Day 2011) but NEVER forgotten <3...

"‎I have sent you on a journey to a land free from pain, not because
I did not love you, but because I loved you too much to force
you to stay" ♥ ♥

We do not have to wait for Heaven, to be surrounded by hope, love, and joyfulness.
It is here on earth and has four legs!
Old September 21st, 2010, 12:32 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Awww, 14+ . In one of the articles that Growler posted, it did state that it can be a long time on antibiotics.

I had good success with AD when my foster kittens got sick and wouldn't eat. They loved it and it was easy to water down.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old September 21st, 2010, 12:36 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

14+ haven't posted in this thread but i have been following along,,,add our good vibes along with the others,,and who cares at this point what she eats aslong as she eats,,,her appetite should increase with the prednisone.
Old September 21st, 2010, 12:41 PM
-

I'm thinking positive 14k
Old September 21st, 2010, 12:54 PM
-

I also don't see anything wrong with feeding the AD. It is often the only food that will get them interested again and that's the main thing right now so I hope it works for Benni.

Sending lots more good wishes your way for her improvement.
Old September 21st, 2010, 01:47 PM
Senior Contributor

A/D is probably the only Hill's product I'd ever consider using, and because it's a really smooth texture, it's great for syringe feeding when mixed with a bit of warm water. I'm crossing all my fingers and toes, and making sure all the cats in my house are crossing their toes too, hoping that Benni pulls out of this soon (and that's a heckuva lot of toes, with 2 polydatyls here).

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old September 21st, 2010, 02:12 PM

Best wishes and prayers for Benni pulling through and hoping that the antibiotics clear this up and that she gobbles the A/D down!
Old September 21st, 2010, 02:22 PM
150% PRO S/N

Thanks everyone. It means more than I can say that I have Pets as an outlet. I don't know how I would get through some of this if I didn't have a place to vent. As I said, hubby gets a little tired hearing about poop consistency and how many pees they've peed vs how many they are supposed to pee.....
Benni turned her beautiful nose up at the first feeding. She even gagged on it which she has never done with any other food. I'm hoping the pred kicks in soon and she will get a bit of an appetite.
L4 - I remember the part about the antibiotics and the long time. I'm thinking she needs to hang on to let them work.
Oh yes, she hadn't lost any weight either.

Old September 21st, 2010, 03:09 PM
Senior Contributor
Space Invaders Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion

My prayers are with you MF. I know what it feels like when your pet won't eat. It just tears at your heart.

for you and of coarse for Benni.

Owned by

Bree 12 year old GSD
Keesha 8 year old GSD
Cyrus 7 year old GSD

RIP: All my angels.
Old September 21st, 2010, 03:27 PM
-

Well at least she hasn't lost any weight but sorry to hear she's refusing the AD food.

Have you tried smearing a little on the roof of her mouth? Maybe she doesn't like the syringe. If not, hope the pred helps her appetite soon.
Old September 21st, 2010, 04:09 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Glad to hear that she's holding her own in the weight department, anyway

We're all crossing our fingers and paws here that her appetite perks up! C'mon Benni! Eat and get better!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old September 21st, 2010, 04:51 PM
Senior Contributor

Come on Benni feel better soon. eat for your mommy! to you 14+. i know this must be so hard for you.

Cats leave pawprints on our hearts forever

Eclipse July 23th 2004
Serena July 23th 2004
Stormy April 20 2007
Zoey RIP March 2006-April 2 2007