Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Senior cats

Old June 14th, 2009, 01:14 PM
Catlover2

smithduke, My sincere condolences on Howie. Having a beloved pet euthanized is one of the hardest things you'll ever do and it never gets easier. I've gone through many where I've had a cat or kitten euthanized. One of my most memorable times was one of my favourite show cats, Missy, who had a "natural death" of heart attack at age 17. For a few days after her death, I could feel her walking on me while I was in bed. Another favourite, Mona, also had a heart attack at age 15. I occasionally caught glimpses of her out of the corner of my eye. Mona's lifelong cat friend, Ladybug, missed her terribly for months meowing and constantly looking for her and would sit where Mona used to sit and often Ladybug would look as if she were watching a cat walk across the room, and I do think she could see her Mona's "spirit" even tho I couldn't at the time. Mona was very special to me and I had a very hard time with her death and felt quite depressed for many months as I missed her so much. This is perfectly natural to mourn the death of a pet as it is for a person.

Many years ago in '80s another cat, Blueboy, had to be euthanized as a result of an inoperable bladder tumour at age 15. I used to catch glimpses of him occasionally sitting in his favourite spots for some months after his death. For some reason or other, I experienced no glimpses or feelings or sensations for other cats that died over the years. It was just a special few.

I don't believe any love is ever forgotten, and I certainly hope to be reunited with my fur friends in the spiritual world.

"No heaven will not Heaven be; without my pets to welcome me" ~ unknown
Old June 14th, 2009, 02:37 PM

Hi Catlover2. Howie's not gone yet, thank goodness! It was Kitty (such an original name, eh? ) that "visited" me.

It's amazing that you've felt the presence of so many of your cats! You're very blessed and they must have loved you very much!

This would be a great topic to start....experiences of "hauntings" from pets. Haunting sounds like such a scary word. How about, Stories of departed pets that have visited. I wouldn't even know where to post it. Anyone else can feel free to start it. If anyone does start a thread, let me know so I can read it. Thanks.

“The soul is the same in all living creatures, although the body of each is different.”—Hippocrates
Old June 14th, 2009, 02:45 PM
Senior Contributor

catlover,OMG you scared me
I thought Howie had passed,not so,luckily
Old June 14th, 2009, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
smithduke,you have a Maine Coon too?
I LOVE Maine Coons,if you have the time and the inclination,could we see a pic of Sula,she must be beautiful.
I had a Maine Coon once many,many yrs ago,brown Tabby colors,he was a beauty,but only lived 3 yrs:sad:
Chico, what happened to your Maine Coon that he only lived to three?

P.S. You'd be a good one to start the new thread on "hauntings"

“The soul is the same in all living creatures, although the body of each is different.”—Hippocrates
Old June 14th, 2009, 03:42 PM
Senior Contributor

smithduke,it was many,many years ago(I am old you know)that we had Tigger.
First off,he escaped outside one day,a neighbor up the street started his car and thought something was wrong,stopped his car right away.
Checked under the hood and there was Tigger,
He was badly cut,but survived,one eye less and about 30 stitches on his tummy:sad:
However,and you have to remember this was a long time ago,I did not know what I know now.
He was not feeling well and when I finally got him to the vet,he had kidney-stones and UTI,the vet did not think he could save him,so at 3 yrs old,my beautiful Tigger was put down.
Had it been today,it would have been very different,Tigger would have survived:sad:
In those days,the only food available was Purina Cat-Chow,Pussn'Boots etc...Thank Dog that has changed

As for haunting,yeah,I know,I am a little weird..LOL
Old June 14th, 2009, 07:55 PM

Oh...how horrible!!!! Poor Tigger!

I'm beyond words except to say how sorry I am!

Old June 14th, 2009, 11:11 PM
Catlover2

[QUOTE=smithduke;790357]Hi Catlover2. Howie's not gone yet, thank goodness! It was Kitty (such an original name, eh? ) that "visited" me. ...

O thank goodness Howie is still with you! I guess I assumed it was Howie. I should have read back farther in the posts, and yes now I see it was Kitty.

Stories of pets departed has always fascinated me. Good idea for a new thread.

By the way, Sula is a gorgeous Maine Coon---love her colour! She's looks like a brown patched tabby or brown torbie as some call it.
Old June 15th, 2009, 12:02 AM

catlover2, I totally understand!! Many people refer to their cats as their "Kitty". My cats name was actually named "Kitty" so I can understand how it could confuse you!

And now....I now nominate you to start the new thread about our dear,departed pets!!

Kidding...

Old June 15th, 2009, 08:15 AM
Catlover2

Departed pets.....who revisit?

smithduke, Thanks for the suggestion to start a new thread. OK here it is in "General Forum" - "Departed pets....who revisit?" This will be very interesting and fun, I'm sure.
Old June 15th, 2009, 03:48 PM

Catlover2, thanks! It will be fun to read all the stories!

Old June 17th, 2009, 12:07 AM

Just a quick update before Howie starts his first Chemo treatment on Thursday.

I spoke to our vet last week and he said the first four treatments would be "in and out" and the last one would be an all day event. Mostly because the last treatment has the worst side effects. The biggest side effect is vomiting, which Howie will receive meds to counteract that.

Howie has T-Cell Lymphoma of the intestines but it's a low grade type of cancer.

When I called to make the appointments, the receptionist told me that each of his treatments would take all day. I questioned her and told her what the Dr. had told me. She said that most treatments last all day but she checked with the Dr. just in case. The answer was just what the vet initially told me. In and out for four weeks and the last one on an outpatient bases.

I was elated to hear that because I'm hoping and praying that Howie's case isn't as severe as most and his treatment doesn't need to be as aggressive.

I'm passing this info on, just in case anyone has a cat with this particular type of cancer, so they can have something to go by.

I'll let you know how my Howie feels on Thursday!! Thanks again for all your support!!

Old June 17th, 2009, 12:40 AM

Many for an easy treatment day for Howie

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old June 17th, 2009, 01:19 AM

Thanks Growler!

Nice to see someone stays up as late as I do! Off to bed for me as it's just after 2:15 AM. Night night!

Old June 17th, 2009, 01:24 AM

Your welcome I'll be thinking of Howie on Thurs

Nite Smithduke - it's only 11:20pm here on the West Coast

Old June 17th, 2009, 06:48 AM
Senior Contributor

Smithduke,I too hope Howie will handle it well
I've never known of a cat receiving Chemo,it will be a learning-experience to read how he does.
How is he at the vets?,hopefully not like my boys
to you and Howie
Old June 17th, 2009, 07:29 AM

Thanks Chico!

Actually, he's very good at the vet. When we bring him home in the carrier he comes out initially and then wants to go back in, just for the fun of it!

I've never known anyone who's cat has had chemo either, nor intestinal cancer! I hope this thread will help guide and support anyone who has a cat going through t-cell lymphoma and chemo. Of course I'd never wish it on anyone!

Old June 17th, 2009, 09:57 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

for an easy treatment with few side effects!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 17th, 2009, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
for an easy treatment with few side effects!

Old June 17th, 2009, 03:45 PM
Senior Contributor

You know you are wonderful,rightto help Howie out this way,hopefully by the time he's done,everything will be ok
Old June 17th, 2009, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
You know you are wonderful,rightto help Howie out this way,hopefully by the time he's done,everything will be ok
Thanks Chico! I think it's Howie who is wonderful! Thankfully I'm blessed to have the means to get him some help! From what I've read, without treatment he only has a few months to live.

Tomorrow at 3:30 PM is the big moment....I'll let you know how he feels tomorrow night.

Thanks to everyone for all your support!!! I've found such great comfort on this board and it's wonderful to know that others understand! By far, the best message board I've ever been on!!!

Old June 17th, 2009, 11:34 PM
Senior Contributor

to you and DH, Howie will surprise you all, I just know it. He does just melt into your couch. Pretty handsome boy you have. pbp
Old June 18th, 2009, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbpatti View Post
to you and DH, Howie will surprise you all, I just know it. He does just melt into your couch. Pretty handsome boy you have. pbp

pbpatti, you make me teary eyed!!! You seem to "get" what Howie is all about!!! I agree and I feel he will surprise us as well! Just tonight, I let him out onto our patio to get what little sun we've had here in New Jersey. When I went out to see what he was up to, he came running and meowing to me. I haven't seen him act like that it months!!! Could it be that our Kitty is visiting him??? Howie has been eating well, except for a day or two here and there and overall seems happy! As I was typing this, he just jumped up on me to say hi! I call him my "Googy Boy", which he loves. You're right, he is a very handsome boy!!!

Old June 18th, 2009, 06:30 PM

Hi. We're back home after Howie's first chemo treatment! You would never know he had some powerful drugs injected into him today. He's eating, happy and lovable! The vet said he should start feeling better very quickly.

A few weeks ago we had him at the vet, to get his stitches out from the biopsy, and Howie had gained 1/3lb. Unfortunately today they said he had lost 1lb. This type of cancer, even though it's low-grade, doesn't have a long survival time so it's important that we started his treatment quickly.

The vet gave Howie two injections. One was Elispar and the other was Vincristine. After each injection Howie was given I.V. fluids to "chase", as the doctor put it, the medication. He also needs to be on Prednisolone but the prescription was for liquid and not pills. Tomorrow I'm going to call the vet to have him prescribe pills instead. The liquid tastes horrible!!! I was on it for my bronchitis, and it made me shiver because it was so disgusting! The prescribed dosage for Howie is 1CC. That's a lot for a cat! When Kitty was alive, she also had liquid Presnisolone, and after the first dose, I refused to give it to her again. She frothed at the mouth, retched, and wouldn't come near me for an entire day.

I'll let you know how Howie is doing. The vet said that we'll know if it's starting to work if his diarrhea becomes more solid! Believe me, right now we feel like evacuating the house when Howie uses the litter box!!!

Old June 18th, 2009, 11:51 PM

So glad to hear Howie is doing well after his first treatment for quick results

Old June 19th, 2009, 03:27 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh,I am so glad Howie dealt with the chemo well,he'll continue to do so.
Yes,I agree a pill would be so much easier on both you and Howie.
I always thought liquid would be easy to put down their throats,but that's not the case.
Howie will continue to feel good
Old June 24th, 2009, 12:55 AM

Hi my friends,

I'm feeling a bit sad because Howie seems somewhat weaker. The vet said he should feel better after his treatment but I don't think he does. Part of his treatment includes the Prednisone, which I had mentioned before, and I requested the vet call into the pharmacy pills, vs. liquid. When I called the pharmacy over the weekend they had no record of the prescription and I had to wait until yesterday to talk to the vet. Although my vet authorized the prescription, he put it under Howie's name without an address so the pharmacy didn't know who it was for. Finally, Howie had his first dose! I was really concerned, and still am, about getting Howie to take his meds. He's so smart that he'll figure out my tricks. Even so, all went well for his first dose tonight. I put the pill inside a ball of cream cheese and then wrapped rare roast beef around the cream cheese. He ate it right down. So far so good.

I have a heavy heart right now because Howie just doesn't seem well, especially since his first treatment. Maybe cats do have a reaction to chemo but it's not overly noticeable to most people. We'll see how things go and maybe the Prednisone will have a major impact on how Howie feels. After all, why would it be part of the chemo regimen if it didn't have any effect?

I'll keep in touch.

Old June 24th, 2009, 01:10 AM

Howie gets treatment once every week for 4 weeks right?

It could just be the back side after the peak in treatment once the treatment is done again it will boost the amount of meds back to a more even level. The pred should also help with how he is feeling.

keep up the good thoughts for improvement for Howie tomorrow

Old June 24th, 2009, 07:42 AM
Senior Contributor

Smitduke,sorry to hear that:sad:but like Growler says,maybe it's an in-between thing
He'll feel better soon
Old June 24th, 2009, 05:23 PM

Thanks Growler and Chico. I hope it's just normal side-effects. He's eating well, so that's a good thing.

Growler, have you had a cat that has had chemo? If so, I'd love to hear your experience. Thanks.

Old June 24th, 2009, 08:35 PM

Smithduke I have not had a cat, or any animal for that matter, go through chemo

The effects of most medicines do slow down some over time and pick back up when boosted with another dose of treatment. For example if you think of having a cold & taking cold medication - the effects usually last between 4 -8 hours and in my experience around 1-2 hours before it's time for the next dose the medicine starts wearing off & is not as effective as it was during the first hour you took it. Make sense? It is possible the effects of the chemo are slowing down abit right before the next dose of treatment. Ask your vet what he/she thinks as they would have more experience w/chemo than I.

Wonderful to hear Howie is eating well

for tomorrow's treatment