Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old December 30th, 2009, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslan View Post
can we please go back on topic....

fairymoon it's unfortunate your parents feel the way they do..am i understanding this right, are your male and female siblings? As for the female not feeding the puppies, she can sense there is something wrong with them.
yeah they are. i don't know, maybe she does. but the vet said they're fine
Old December 31st, 2009, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairymoon7 View Post
yeah they are. i don't know, maybe she does. but the vet said they're fine
Fairymoon, glad to hear the pups are doing good! Please keep us posted on their status and feel free to ask more questions, there are tons of members on here with LOTS of wonderful advice and knowledge to share!

I'm not an expert on genetics, but I am thinking (and I'm not 100% sure here) but wouldn't them being siblings have some potential health implications for the pups (i.e. birth defects, genetic diseases etc.)?? I may totally be off track here, so hopefully someone with more knowledge on this can provide some input.

I would strongly encourage you to ask your folks to consider selling these pups with a spay/neuter agreement of some sort. Besides the normal arguments for s/n pets, I am thinking since they have come from parents that were siblings, they defaintly should NOT be bred in the future...!

"Many of the Earth's habitats, animals, plants, insects, and even micro-organisms that we know as rare may not be known at all by future generations. We have the capability, and the responsibility. We must act before it is too late." - Dalai Lama
Old December 31st, 2009, 10:07 PM
One dog at a time...

FairyMoon, you are doing a good thing to be taking care of the puppies the way you are. Maybe you could talk to your vet to see if he/she could give you a discount on getting your dogs spayed and neutered. Also, since you love dogs so much, the vet might let you work in his clinic as part of the payment? It wouldn't hurt to ask! I do hope your pups do well. Good luck sweetie!

RIP My Precious Kitty - Misty Margaret (long-hair calico) - 08/24/94-03/12/10
RIP Sweet Baby Girl - Lodi Sue (dachshund mix) -01/20/98-11/04/09
RIP My Itty Bitty - Trinket Joy (chihuahua mix) Puppy Mill Survivor rescued 10/00 died 01/22/02

Rescues will touch your heart & soul like no other!
Old January 1st, 2010, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
I don't know how many people take the time when they join to bother to read the rules of this forum. I did. In fact it was the one huge reason I decided to join Pets. It states that most people on the forum are very pro s/n. I knew without a doubt I had found a place I wanted to stick around. The people on this forum are my kind of people. They care very very deeply for the welfare of animals. A lot of them put their hearts and souls into looking after all the unwanted dogs and cats. Some of us spend every cent we make to do that. Get to know us while we are getting to know you.
I agree 100+% with 14+. I took the time to read the rules before I posted so I knew pets.ca was a place I wanted to be. I have received some fantastic information in the time I've been here and the members have always been very knowledgeable and eager to share any pertinent information with me.

fairymoon from what I've read I wonder if your parents are helping you pay for the costs for these puppies or if you are on your own trying to feed and look after them? I hope not

I know that when I was a child, we had several cats that were allowed to have kittens. Back in the 1950's we didn't hear much about spay/neuter of pets. Today I am a very strong advocate of spay and neuter but also know there are people out there who are either ignorant or they just don't care about the pet overpopulation.

One of our cats who had kittens, took two of the kittens and threw them up in the air so that when they fell their necks were broken. Those two kittens were the runts of the litter, and I'm sure the mother knew there was something wrong with them. We tried to stop her from taking the second one, but she refused to feed it or look after it in any way. We couldn't supervise here 24/7 and she killed the second one a day or so after the first. I am telling this story because I think a mother animal knows if there is something wrong with her offspring and that may be why your mother dog is refusing to feed the puppies.

Fairymoon I am glad to hear you took the puppies to the vet, and maybe you will be able to educate your parents because this is the second time your dogs have had a litter together. As a nurse who has studied genetics I know that breeding siblings causes an untold number of birth and genetic defects both in humans and animals. If your parents knew that and now realize the extra cost of puppies, they may agree to get both of the dogs spayed/neutered. Good Luck
Old January 2nd, 2010, 10:51 AM
I'm a softy

Hi, and welcome, i am glad you are here, what some people are calling rudeness is actually a very deep love and passion. Being that you are 17, you just only know what you have been taught, and sadly that is not good, but when you know better you do better. Love is not enough to have happy healthy animals, i am glad you are seeking out more info. It is not good for siblings to breed, it is very important to make sure that these pups never breed. This is the reason so many died and the mom wont feed them, could you get some better milk from the vet? You can suppliment with a recipe you can make to save some money. If your dogs breed again, this will happen again, or worse. Thankyou for trying to save them, and learn a better way to have pets than what you know.

I fing this a very welcoming site, and post counts dont matter exept that of coarse there are some senior members that are respected, but it doesnt matter, what matters is the shared passion to help, save, and love our furry friends, sure fiery passion comes out, but that is ok, it is what it is and we are who we are, i hope no one changes their passion. Sometimes strong words and heated discussions are needed to get through, and it brings out things that need to get out. Some have a low tolerance for some kinds of animal treatment, and that is very ok.

Good luck op, please stay, ask, and learn, it will help you and your dogs, keep us updated, good luck.
Adoptee Prada crazy dog extrodinaire
Tickles Tortie cat the owns my daughter
Old January 2nd, 2010, 12:27 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

I personally dont like the puppy replacement formula for pups.
I have just had a large litter of 9 pups and started helping the mother out with feeding with a goats milk formula. Karma was having a difficult time feeding all 9 and a few of the smaller ones would get less.
Old January 8th, 2010, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassiek View Post
Fairymoon, glad to hear the pups are doing good! Please keep us posted on their status and feel free to ask more questions, there are tons of members on here with LOTS of wonderful advice and knowledge to share!

I'm not an expert on genetics, but I am thinking (and I'm not 100% sure here) but wouldn't them being siblings have some potential health implications for the pups (i.e. birth defects, genetic diseases etc.)?? I may totally be off track here, so hopefully someone with more knowledge on this can provide some input.

I would strongly encourage you to ask your folks to consider selling these pups with a spay/neuter agreement of some sort. Besides the normal arguments for s/n pets, I am thinking since they have come from parents that were siblings, they defaintly should NOT be bred in the future...!
ok i will. they're all fine. ok, i'll tell make sure that the future owners will spay/nueter them
Old January 8th, 2010, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Lodi Girl View Post
FairyMoon, you are doing a good thing to be taking care of the puppies the way you are. Maybe you could talk to your vet to see if he/she could give you a discount on getting your dogs spayed and neutered. Also, since you love dogs so much, the vet might let you work in his clinic as part of the payment? It wouldn't hurt to ask! I do hope your pups do well. Good luck sweetie!
thanks! the vet is going to spay/nueter them for free! maybe, i'll ask if i can. thansk again!!!!
Old January 8th, 2010, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbg10 View Post
I agree 100+% with 14+. I took the time to read the rules before I posted so I knew pets.ca was a place I wanted to be. I have received some fantastic information in the time I've been here and the members have always been very knowledgeable and eager to share any pertinent information with me.

fairymoon from what I've read I wonder if your parents are helping you pay for the costs for these puppies or if you are on your own trying to feed and look after them? I hope not

I know that when I was a child, we had several cats that were allowed to have kittens. Back in the 1950's we didn't hear much about spay/neuter of pets. Today I am a very strong advocate of spay and neuter but also know there are people out there who are either ignorant or they just don't care about the pet overpopulation.

One of our cats who had kittens, took two of the kittens and threw them up in the air so that when they fell their necks were broken. Those two kittens were the runts of the litter, and I'm sure the mother knew there was something wrong with them. We tried to stop her from taking the second one, but she refused to feed it or look after it in any way. We couldn't supervise here 24/7 and she killed the second one a day or so after the first. I am telling this story because I think a mother animal knows if there is something wrong with her offspring and that may be why your mother dog is refusing to feed the puppies.

Fairymoon I am glad to hear you took the puppies to the vet, and maybe you will be able to educate your parents because this is the second time your dogs have had a litter together. As a nurse who has studied genetics I know that breeding siblings causes an untold number of birth and genetic defects both in humans and animals. If your parents knew that and now realize the extra cost of puppies, they may agree to get both of the dogs spayed/neutered. Good Luck
they are paying the cost of the puppies. don't worry this time they are going do get the dogs fixed because they don't want them to have puppies now. they are being fixed on the 12th