Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old April 5th, 2005, 02:16 PM
Senior Contributor

rescue remedy - Answered by Dr. Van Lienden

does anyone know anything about rescue remedy - it's a product with:

-Impatiens glandulifera (for impatience and agitation that may be associated with pain) ;
-Ornithogalum umbellatum (Star of Bethlehem - for shock, grief, or fright) ;
-Prunus serasife (Cherry Plum- for hysteria or loss of control) ;
-Helianthemum nummularium (Rock Rose- for terror and panic)
-Clematis vitalba (Clematis- for faintness and bemused, stunned, ungrounded feelings)

It is used in animals to decrease stress. It's apparently all natural.

I was thinking about buying some for my little foster pooch, Buster (see: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=13713)
He's a really sweet dog, very affectionate -- but he's got serious seperation anxiety. It's to the point where I'm afraid he'll hurt himself if I leave. I'm meeting some behaviourists tomorow, so I'll know more about what I can do to ease his anxiety.

I've read up on this product and haven't really found any counter indications. Does anyone use it? Has it worked in reducing stress?

Deep thought, by Jack Handey : "I think my new thing will be to try to be a real happy guy. I'll just walk around being real happy until some jerk says something stupid to me."
Old April 5th, 2005, 02:20 PM
Senior Contributor

I use it often with Yin Yin. It is perfectly safe - not so much herbal as homepathic. The cheapest place to buy it is SuperStore - Provigo in Quebec or Loblaws in Ont (all same company). You can pay extra few dollars and get the identical product at a health food store.

I also like cocculine which a vet told me about - helps animals sleep while travelling and since it is not an anti anxiety drug like valium, will not affect the pet's metabolismnor make them groggy.

I'd go with Rescue Remedy first tho.
Old April 5th, 2005, 02:22 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

hey Meb

We had a rescue come in a while ago that was extremely anxious. We used the rescue remedy with him and it took the edge off. He was still anxious but not in such a frenetic manner.
Old April 5th, 2005, 02:27 PM
Senior Contributor

YY is not an anxious kitty at all but it helps as preventitive medicine (if I can call it that, lol) prior to a vet visit or trip.
Old April 5th, 2005, 02:42 PM
banned user

Rescue Remedy didn't do much for Raj, but I've heard good things about it. I gave it to my Mom, and it helps her sleep!
Old April 5th, 2005, 02:47 PM
Senior member - formerly goldengirl

I add it to the drinking water when I have a new foster come in, helps if the rescue or Valentin is stressed and does not affect them if not stressed.

Can also be administered directly into the mouth. For situations I know are going to stress Valentin, I put a few drops on his head and rub in beforehand. Works anywhere the blood vessels come close to the surface, Ear flaps are good too. It also comes in a cream form, which I find useful for delayed release.
Old April 5th, 2005, 02:53 PM
Senior Contributor

will it work to settle down a naturally hyper dog?

my brothers dog is CRAZY and they cant seem to get him to settle down
hes just really active despite frequent walks and exercise and plenty of attention.

its to the point where they are really having trouble obedient training him

Eleni
"I used to look at [my dog] Smokey and think, 'If you were a little smarter you could tell me what you were thinking,' and he'd look at me like he was saying, 'If you were a little smarter, I wouldn't have to.'" - Fred Jungclaus
Old April 5th, 2005, 06:52 PM
Owned by goldens

rescue remedy

It is not a tranquilizer so it will not work to reduce hyperactivity. It is used to reduce stress.
Old April 5th, 2005, 07:19 PM
Senior Contributor

I have no experience with it and hyper dogs or dogs at all for that matter. But it does not act like what you think of as a quick acting benzodiazepine like say diazepam. Treating a hyper dog may be another matter entirely. Rescue Remesy calms a pet prior to travel, to see the vet or works over time with stressed animals or those who have been traumatized and are now in rescue.
Old April 5th, 2005, 08:21 PM
banned user

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengirl
I add it to the drinking water when I have a new foster come in, helps if the rescue or Valentin is stressed and does not affect them if not stressed.

Can also be administered directly into the mouth. For situations I know are going to stress Valentin, I put a few drops on his head and rub in beforehand. Works anywhere the blood vessels come close to the surface, Ear flaps are good too. It also comes in a cream form, which I find useful for delayed release.

So this comes in a drop not a pill is this right?If so what is the name of it, I'm guessing it's not really called Rescue Remedy. I wonder if this would help Jordie when he goes to groomers, poor little guy so scared when I leave him I feel so bad. I know my groomer is great I know she is very good to him, Jordie is just a bit of a Mommy's boy
Old April 5th, 2005, 08:27 PM
Senior Contributor

It actually IS called Rescue Remedy, but not because it's for rescued animals -- I don't know where it got it's name, but it's also used for humans.

Here's a link: http://www.peteducation.com/article....articleid=1360
Attached Images

Deep thought, by Jack Handey : "I think my new thing will be to try to be a real happy guy. I'll just walk around being real happy until some jerk says something stupid to me."

Last edited by meb999; April 5th, 2005 at 08:31 PM.
Old April 5th, 2005, 08:59 PM
banned user

I honestly should that was not the real name thanks I will read up on this.
Old April 5th, 2005, 09:06 PM
banned user

According to my pharmacist, Rescue Remedy got its name because EMT'S said that every car should have a bottle inside- in case of accident. It is THAT effective in preventing shock in accident victims. Only afterwards was it discovered that it is a useful remedy for anxiety in dogs.
Cool, huh?
Old April 5th, 2005, 09:17 PM
Senior Contributor

It really is called Rescue Remedy - consists of five flower essence in a brandy base. (The brandy prob helps too, kidding, lol) . It comes in a yellow pkg at Superstore or Loblaws or Provigo - whatever President's Choice grocery store you have. It is more expensive at health food stores. It comes in cream also but there are two sizes for the liquid stuff.
Old April 5th, 2005, 09:18 PM
banned user

Great story, weird how some things are discovered.
Old April 5th, 2005, 09:23 PM
banned user

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberKitten
It really is called Rescue Remedy - consists of five flower essence in a brandy base. (The brandy prob helps too, kidding, lol) . It comes in a yellow pkg at Superstore or Loblaws or Provigo - whatever President's Choice grocery store you have. It is more expensive at health food stores. It comes in cream also but there are two sizes for the liquid stuff.
One brandy for me I will be flat out on floor Is there a taste to this RR? Wonder which would be best for Jordie, he is a very picky eater. How much would I give him? I don't want him stoned, just relaxed.
Old April 5th, 2005, 09:32 PM
Senior Contributor

Just a few drops should suffice! A small bottle - if you have one pet - can last a long time.
Old April 5th, 2005, 09:39 PM
banned user

Thank You2 dogs but only Jordie would ever need something like this.
Old April 6th, 2005, 06:15 AM
Owned by goldens

Rescue Remedy

I have tasted it. The taste isn't bad, but it isn't good either. I purchased mine in the health food store for about $10.00 I think but will look at Loblaw's for my next bottle. Hey, why not save a few dollars?
Old April 16th, 2005, 11:12 AM
Administrator

Rescue remedy has been used by a few of my clients for their pets. The report is inconsistent, some love the product, some don't think it is useful at all. Something to remember as a toxicological principle is that every substance in a high enough dose is dangerous, even something as common as water.

The ingredients of Rescue Remedy can cause gastrointestinal, respiratory and hepatic (liver)problems in prone individuals. If you use this preparation, then do so at published dose (should be on the bottle) and monitor your little guy over a two week period. Any unexplained problems, then stop the preparation.

It is important to take any concurrent medication into account when adding Rescue Remedy to the mix. I realize that it is popular to attempt what some call "holistic treatment", but one must be careful with any substance ingested. Know what the active ingredients are, what the tested strength is, what interactions can be problematic, any contraindications within that invidual, and the source of the product (contamination with heavy metals, pharmaceuticals, adulteration, etc. has been a problem in the past).

As for the seperation anxiety, your behaviourist should be able to give you guide lines. Usually I advocate a medication and training approach (both you and the little fellow are trained). I use a large array of meds, no two dogs are the same. Good luck.

Dr. Van Lienden

Dr. Raymond Van Lienden DVM
The Animal Clinic of Clifton
12702 Chapel Road, Clifton
Virginia, U.S.A. 20124
703-802-0490
Old June 5th, 2007, 08:50 AM

The bottle says 4 drops in water or 4 drops on the tongue for an adult. Can anyone tell me how much to give a dog weighing under 50 lbs.??
I am currently dogsitting for someone who has just discovered this and brought me up a bottle for him as he goes totally ballistic with any loud noises. We may have a thunderstorm.
Old June 5th, 2007, 11:55 AM

CyberKitten -

You have experience using RR with a cat....I would like to know how much you use and the weight of the cat you use it with.

(I was going to PM you, but there may be others wondering the same.)

You also mentioned "cocculine"....is that a Rx item or...where is it to be found. Again, for cats? Dosage?

Are there any contraindications for either Rescue Remedy or cocculine...the resident Vet mentioned concurrent medications....any conditions which might contraindicate the use of either one?
Old June 5th, 2007, 12:33 PM
Senior Contributor

I wish I knew about contraindications but I am afraid I do not. I would think given that it is based in brandy, that anything that is contraindicated with alcohol should not be used. I have only ever used small amts and never heard if Rescue remedy until my vet told me about it. Until then, I used cocculine - which has been suggested by another vet for an older cat who was not a good traveller and would sometimes be ill in the car. Cocculine is a homeopathic substance that is found in health food stores or the pharmacy section of some grocery stores. Whether it works - as Dr. V has suggested I suspect very much depends on the animal. There are some independent studies of cocculine being done in France - where it is made - with good results. I would not give much credence to studies done by its manufacturer. (They cannot be unbiased.) I know of no studies offhand of Rescue remedy.

The scientist in me was VERY skeptical of these products - even when a vet I respect very much recommended them - but much to my amazement, both have worked for me with different cats. I have never tried them with dogs or bunnies! And I have only ever used a very small amount - with cocculine, when my younger Siamese was a kitten, I would give her half a cocculine tab before a trip - and she would sleep. (It seems to be a side effect in some animals but that is personal and anecdotal experience - and I loathe anecdotal experience and hate to provide it!).

When YY was older, I gave her a tablet and she was fine with that. I have used Rescue remedy when she seems to know we are going to the vet (I do not know why, she just knows, lol- and meows loudly as Siamese tend to do when they want to express their displeasure with something). When she was a tiny kitten (maybe 4-7 lbs), I would give her half the recommended dosage which was 5 drops and gave her maybe 2. I would either give it to her in her mouth or put some on her paw and she'd lick it off. When she was older - and she looks big in her pictures but she is still a svelte small Siamese - weighing about 11-12 lbs give or take a few ounces here and there. Beau - who weights less is also a meezer and I have not given him RR since he has a heart murmur and other medical issues and while it is likely safe, if it not necessary - he is quite laid back and never gets too upset about too much. He is not as demanding as YY - who is the alpha kitty, lol I have given it to my Sphynx cats who also are also both about 9-10 lbs. With fur, they might weigh more. (and I would gather if one discounts fur in other animals, you might get the actual weight!)

I do not use these products and I do use them only for my pets - frequently - they are very occasional use - and I am ironically not sold on homeopathic products and would never recommend them to my patients and comment on them only if asked. (Tho my own oncologist once recommended rooibus tea to help sleeping - it is South African and he has a theory that this is why SAfricans are so laid back - I don't know, lol). I am however allergic to almost any kind of tea so it did not work out.

Needless to say, neither product requires an Rx.
Old September 22nd, 2008, 02:58 PM

How long?

Hi There,
I just adopted a rescue dog and he seems to be quite anxious when we leave. I am going to try using Rescue Remedy with him and I was just wondering how long I should use it for before I can be sure his anxiety has died down a little.
Thanks,
Brie
Old September 22nd, 2008, 03:11 PM
-

First of all thank you for adopting a rescue dog and welcome to pets.ca

I imagine the poor guy would have separation anxiety as he would be so afraid that you are going to leave him. :sad: Rescue Remedy does not work for all dogs and it didn't work for mine.

What I found to work best is to leave the house for no more than a few minutes and then come back. Do not make a big fuss over him when you do come back in....just go about your normal activities. Then leave again for a few minutes longer and keep repeating over and over increasing the amount of time you're gone.

It does take a while but it's the only thing I found that worked. You can give him a stuffed Kong to keep him occupied and hopefully his attention will focus on that.

Oh, and we would really like to see pics of your boy when you are able to post attachments.....we love pics here.
Old September 22nd, 2008, 08:52 PM
Molly's mama

welcome B Worgan!! I too rescued a dog and it has taken almost 5 months for her to slowly overcome her separation anxiety, and even now she sometimes relapses. Raimnbow offered some really good ideas- stuffed Kong, and only leaving for short trips. You should also look into crate training if you haven't already, and don't make a big fuss about saying goodbye, or hello when you come home.
Sorry- but I do have something to say about Rescue Remedy- I use it for myself! I am a nervous sleeper when hubby isn't home, so I take a couple sprays before I go to bed and it seems to help me fall asleep without any anxious/ scared feelings.
Old January 17th, 2009, 01:53 PM

There is a Rescue Remedy for Pets which I use on my cats. It has no alcohol in it .
Old January 17th, 2009, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyofcats View Post
There is a Rescue Remedy for Pets which I use on my cats. It has no alcohol in it .
What's the brand name, where do you get it and, do you have a link?
Old January 17th, 2009, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meb999 View Post
does anyone know anything about rescue remedy - it's a product with:

-Impatiens glandulifera (for impatience and agitation that may be associated with pain) ;
-Ornithogalum umbellatum (Star of Bethlehem - for shock, grief, or fright) ;
-Prunus serasife (Cherry Plum- for hysteria or loss of control) ;
-Helianthemum nummularium (Rock Rose- for terror and panic)
-Clematis vitalba (Clematis- for faintness and bemused, stunned, ungrounded feelings)

It is used in animals to decrease stress. It's apparently all natural.

I was thinking about buying some for my little foster pooch, Buster (see: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=13713)
He's a really sweet dog, very affectionate -- but he's got serious seperation anxiety. It's to the point where I'm afraid he'll hurt himself if I leave. I'm meeting some behaviourists tomorow, so I'll know more about what I can do to ease his anxiety.

I've read up on this product and haven't really found any counter indications. Does anyone use it? Has it worked in reducing stress?

I use Bach Rescue Remedy for Pets, which has no alcohol in it.
Old January 17th, 2009, 06:56 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSTYcat View Post
What's the brand name, where do you get it and, do you have a link?
Rescue Remedy is the brand name. It's sold at most health food stores or vitamin stores. If you have an organic market around you they might sell it there. The one for pets is usually in the same spot as the regular one, although I've used the regular one on my pets now and then and I've never had any issue nor have ever heard of any issue using this one.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/