Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 21st, 2005, 07:52 PM

dog swallowed a confirmation cross???

is it possible? o dear...but I'm not sure....here's the details:

daughter took off her bracelets and necklace to go to yoga, left them in the tray in the car...dog was alone in the car for a few minutes, and when I returned, the jewellry was scattered...daughter says her confirmation cross (and chain) is missing....so for a few days, I've been studying my dog (small breed) for any signs of bowel obstruction etc, and there is really nothing...eating, drinking, pooping, peeing...hyper as usual...she has coughed a few times...see, if I had hordes of money, I'de take her to the vet in a flash for xrays and consult....but I'm mega broke after her spaying, and all the bills that sit on my counter...of course, If she appeared unwell and I was sure, I'de take her...
what do you think...can a dog swallow a small chain and small cross and have no symptoms? I've checked her poop, and there is nothing...it could have fallen out on the street when I opened the door...ya see, I just don't know...and she is so sweet, I'm concerned... advice please...
Old March 21st, 2005, 08:24 PM

If it is small enough to pass, it will pass within a week. In my opinion, if it doesn't, it's either it is stuck in the dog or it is lost somewhere.
Old March 22nd, 2005, 07:26 AM

It is possible that your fubaby swallowed it as I have heard of many strange things that dogs as well as cats have ingested. My best suggestion would be to call the vet and ask their advise ( they don't charge for that ) because I think that they would be better on advising about something like this. Hope everything turns out ok.
Old March 22nd, 2005, 08:09 AM

A technique I have heard of but don't know much about is to feed the dog cotton batten (dip it in chicken fat or something I suppose) when it has swalled small metal bits.

The foreign object will get caught up in the cotton and the dog will pass it.

Read up on that or call your vet to ask.
Old March 22nd, 2005, 11:11 AM
Senior Contributor

Agree that it could take a few days to pass. I think you should continue watching for your pup to pass the objects - if your pup is a "poop eater" won't be easy. You need to watch out for vomiting though. If pup starts vomiting, I would go to vet a.s.a.p. In the meantime though, perhaps just a general phone call to your vet might be in order. When our mini Dachshund ate a piece of a quilt, we found a thick thread wrapped around his canine tooth and going down his throat. We took him to Emergency and they confirmed it reached down to his stomach. We had to put him on "extra fibre" for 3 days and hope. On day 3 he passed the thread - but had he started vomiting - they would have performed surgery. Hope the items were in fact lost on the street.