Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old January 27th, 2009, 05:41 PM

Anyone using Natural Balance Organic Formula?

Wow, there is a lot to learn about dog food. I am very suspect of the meat industry. Actual detailed information about the sources of most ingredients is low or non existent.

Since I just rescued a dog I want her protein to come from a humane source. I am concerned about quality because biomagnification leads to toxins increasing up the food chain, like in my pet! Terms like "human grade" don't really help (eg: Spam), and "wild" doesn't say if the fish stocks are declining. So lists of ingredients that state "chicken meal" and "salmon meal" and precentages of minimum protein don't answer all my questions about their quality, their source, how humanely they were treated (if farmed), or the state of their population and habitat (if wild).

But Natural Balance Organic Formula was an exception. Their website says they only use only free range, hormone free chickens, and the rest is mostly organic plant ingredients of decent quality (as per the dog food review site). The min protein is at 22% and while that is a little better than the legal required min amount (18%) I figure I can supplement with a hard boiled organic egg or two every week.

Is anybody on here using NB Organic Formula? If you're using it, I'd like to hear how your dogs are doing on it! Sorry for the long thread and thanks in advance!

Last edited by Blab; January 27th, 2009 at 07:34 PM.
Old January 27th, 2009, 07:16 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blab View Post
Wow, there is a lot to learn about dog food. I am very suspect of the meat industry. Actual detailed information about the sources of most ingredients is low or non existent.
That's awesome that you're taking such a keen interest in your dog's nutrition. Have you thought about making her food yourself? That's really the only way to know for sure what she's getting.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old January 27th, 2009, 07:27 PM

That's a really good idea. But I go out of town quite often and need it to be fairly easy to care for and feed Georgie when I'm gone. Oh I forgot to say I'd use Karma pet food but its so darned expesive and nobody carries it around here...

Last edited by Blab; January 27th, 2009 at 09:14 PM.
Old January 30th, 2009, 05:00 PM

Quick update: There is another organic dog food sold locally called Castor & Pollux Organix Adult Canine Formula. While the chicken isn't organic (food can be certified organic if it meets a certain percentage of certified organic content), they told me it is all free range. They also stated that "our salmon is wild and there is no ethoxyquin, BHA, BHT or other such preservatives used." So its also a great healthy, ethical option, and 25% protein (to NB Organic Formula's 22%).
Old January 31st, 2009, 07:04 PM

You may wish to subscribe to the Whole Dog Journal. For the next couple of months they are featuring their recommended canned and dry, based on: the company's disclosure of suppliers, quality of ingredients, ingredients, etc. I am not sure if you have researched Blue Buffalo but they have an "organic" chicken based kibble. Congratulations on adopting/fostering.