Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 23rd, 2009, 01:38 PM

Need to get spayed--Vancouver SPCA Hospital?

Hi, I just got a new dog and she isn't spayed yet. She's about a year old and as sweet as can be.

I live walking distance from the SPCA hospital and they do health checkups, vaccines, and spaying (all which she needs). The hospital staff told me that all are done by registered vets, and I'm guessing because they are the SPCA the vets have experience with many breeds.

But spaying is a pretty invasive surgery and while I have great respect for the SPCA I want to make sure she gets the very best care. From searching around on this site there are a lot of back and forth advice on vets (expensive ones do not always seem to be the best) but not on the SPCA Hospital.

So has anyone had their dog spayed at the SPCA Hospital or used/uses the hospital for their pet's veteranary needs?

Or does anyone have any really great vet recommendations near East Van?

Thanks!!
Old January 23rd, 2009, 01:46 PM
-

Welcome to the forum, Blab .....from your avatar pic, your girl looks like a real cutie.

I don't live in Vancouver but until someone else comes along that can help with recommendations, here is a website that rates veterinarians .....

http://www.vetratingz.com/SelectThing.jsp?tcvid=22306
Old January 23rd, 2009, 02:16 PM

Thanks so much for your quick response rainbow!! And your kind words. She sure is cute and maybe the most gentle, sweet dog I've ever met. But completely untrained outside (will not come to her name, does not "get" a leash, etc...)

I used your vet ratings link and sorted by highest rating. The SPCA Hospital had no ratings yet but the Vancouver Animal Wellness Hospital came out on top of the list. And it is very nearby to where I live too!

The Vancouver Animal Wellness Hospital also give three options on how to spay (great website ) and the ovariectomy sounds less invasive than the traditional ovariohysterectomy method. Anyone have advice on the difference between these methods?

The Wellness Hospital were also really friendly on the phone and wanted to know everything about her. They are even calling the vet I took her to two days ago in Bellingham just to get a rabies shot to bring her home across the border. So I'm planning to there. Anyone have any experience with them?
Old January 23rd, 2009, 02:21 PM

My friend got his Pug neutered there and it was great. The people are really caring and nice. Only thing is the facility is old and not pretty.
Lovey - Female Fawn Boxer (RESCUE)
Anakin - Male Brindle Boxer (RESCUE)

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. - Mohandas Gandhi -

~Until there are none, rescue one ~

Boxer Rescue - www.rescueaboxer.com
Scentsy - www.ilovescents.ca
Old January 23rd, 2009, 02:32 PM

Thanks rainbow. I used your vet ratings link and sorted by highest rating. The SPCA Hospital had no ratings yet but the Vancouver Animal Wellness Hospital came out on top of the list. And it is very nearby to where I live too. They actually give three options on how to spay--they have a great website--and the ovariectomy (remove ovaries) sounds less invasive than the traditional ovariohysterectomy (remove ovaries and uterus) method. Anyone have advice on the difference between these methods?

The Wellness Hospital were also really friendly on the phone and wanted to know everything about her. So I'm now thinking about going there. Anyone have any experience with them?

Thanks for the advice on the SPCA totallyhip. I'm glad to hear that they're freindly. Don't care if the facility is old--St. Pauls Hospital is too!

Last edited by Blab; January 23rd, 2009 at 03:05 PM.
Old January 23rd, 2009, 03:15 PM

Actually I've heard great things about the Animal Wellness. I love them because their conventional and holistic. I called them one time and asked them about something and they were absolutely wonderful! I would go there if I didn't live so far away.

Good luck
Lovey - Female Fawn Boxer (RESCUE)
Anakin - Male Brindle Boxer (RESCUE)

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. - Mohandas Gandhi -

~Until there are none, rescue one ~

Boxer Rescue - www.rescueaboxer.com
Scentsy - www.ilovescents.ca
Old January 23rd, 2009, 10:20 PM

Thanks for the advice. I sam thinking to get Georgie's first checkup at the SPCA since I don't know her history and they take in strays and are practiced at diagnosing them. And to take her there for the spay--because they do so many they are likely well practiced. But afterwards I'll probably use Animal Wellness as her regular vet to get the benefit of their holistic advice.

Last edited by Blab; January 25th, 2009 at 01:17 PM.