Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Pet photography > Pet photography - Pet pictures > Photo challenges on Pets.ca

Old September 28th, 2010, 02:42 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

October 2010 photo challenge - Remembering pets that have passed on

In light of all of our losses, recent and past, I would like to propose a slight twist to the monthly challenge. I would like us to post pics of our gone, but never forgotten, furries. I feel it is a fitting tribute at this time.

What a great idea.

What a wonderful idea

great idea

14+ great idea BUT I cant seem to do it right now...my eyes are flooded with tears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston View Post
14+ great idea BUT I cant seem to do it right now...my eyes are flooded with tears!
It's ok Winston. It isn't Oct yet and this has to be approved by Marko. I know what you mean. I have been thinking a lot lately about my boy and Bandit and Li'l Momma too with all the other losses. I thought this may be a fitting tribute to so many we have loved and lost.

14+ only did this so she could see us all cry again! I'm with you Winston, I get teary eyed very easily these days. But I have great memories of my old babies.

It has been a difficult past few months for many members here but, I think it's a wonderful idea to honor and share the memories of our past companions.

Oh I dont disagree at all I am just too emotional.....it is a fitting tribute!

Quote:
Exactly what Winston said....tears flooding eyes, but it's a wonderful idea....and I will participate.

If it is the idea with the most support (and i hope it is) it will become October's challenge.

Even for those members that have not lost a pet, they could post pics of pets that were meaningful to them that belonged to other people (so long as they have their permission).

Thx for the wonderful suggestion 14+

14+,good idea,i was just thinking today,that i would like to post some pics of my rocky,from kitten-hood,to the end.
sure i'll cry,cry for all the babies we lost in the last while
but it will be a way to honor their memory and the good times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Exactly what Winston said....tears flooding eyes, but it's a wonderful idea....and I will participate.

If it is the idea with the most support (and i hope it is) it will become October's challenge.

Even for those members that have not lost a pet, they could post pics of pets that were meaningful to them that belonged to other people (so long as they have their permission).

Thx for the wonderful suggestion 14+
Thank you Marko. I in no way wanted to hurt anyone. I feel along with the pain there is healing. For all of us.

I agree. It will be painful for some (including myself) but it might also be cathartic and it will be a wonderful tribute to many many pets and hopefully bring back some loving memories. (Just call me Mr. mush today )

Again, beautiful suggestion 14+.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
(Just call me Mr. mush today
with good reason Marko , this is still so soon for you.

I think it's a wonderful idea 14+.

And isn't October call the month of the deads ? To celebrate them ? I think I heard that somewhere .... because of how Halloween came to be a "holiday".

Quote:
Oh Winston

I think it's a great idea and would love to participate in the October challenge. Count me in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
And isn't October call the month of the deads ? To celebrate them ? I think I heard that somewhere .... because of how Halloween came to be a "holiday".

Halloween=All Hallows Eve. There are many different versions, one is this:

It is commonly linked to the Feast of Samhain (the end of summer) on Oct. 31, to honor the dead

It's my favorite holiday.

I too think it's a great idea,,Winston and anyone else that it might be abit too much for right now,,if you'd like let me or one of the others know and we can find a picture and post it for you..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgeurts View Post
Halloween=All Hallows Eve. There are many different versions, one is this:

It is commonly linked to the Feast of Samhain (the end of summer) on Oct. 31, to honor the dead

It's my favorite holiday.
Thanks Rgeurts then this challenge is perfect timing !

Quote:
That's what I figured but Rgeurts explained it so much better than me.

Great idea, I'm in.

I too agree it would be a good idea.

I love all my past and present babies so much. It would be great to put up a picture of them.

Thanks for the suggestion 14+.

Quote:
Yes it is!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
That's what I figured but Rgeurts explained it so much better than me.

You explained it perfectly:

"I would like us to post pics of our gone, but never forgotten, furries. I feel it is a fitting tribute at this time."

I would be honored to participate .

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
Through remembering there is healing.
Very well said 14+.

Thanks for the amazing suggestion 14+ and I see you have already posted first. beautiful memories

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!

Last edited by marko; October 1st, 2010 at 09:48 AM.
Old October 1st, 2010, 09:00 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Well, it seems this challenge has a lot of support. I sincerely thank all of the members who expressed support. Through remembering there is healing.
May I please be the first to post pics? Believe me, going through my pictures to find some of kitties that were a very important part of my life was painful. Even now I am choked up.
But this thread does not have to be a sad one. We can celebrate their lives and rejoice in the fact we got to share it with them; no matter for how long.

Bandit - my sweet little baby who loved to lie beside me at the computer and sleep. I adopted him to a new home early November of 2008. In January I was told the very distressing news that he had been pts on Christmas Eve. I often wonder what his outcome would have been had I not let him go. baby
Name:  100_3322.jpg
Views: 590
Size:  57.8 KB
And my Brownie boy. That marvelous nose of his earned him his name. I lost him this past April to liver disease. He was not quite 3. He was, as the vets called him, the mystery cat. No reason found for his liver issues. I tried for a long time to "make him better". I couldn't.
This picture was actually a malfunction on my camera but I like the effect. It looks like he is looking down at me from above.
Name:  100_0477.jpg
Views: 574
Size:  44.5 KB
One of my favourite memories of my sweetie. He loved that chair in the Catuary.
Name:  100_0098.jpg
Views: 582
Size:  65.6 KB
I am still looking for one of Li'l Momma. I know I have a few of her. Not many. She was a very fast little feral.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!

Last edited by 14+kitties; October 1st, 2010 at 01:23 PM.
Old October 1st, 2010, 01:03 PM
Compromised account

This is a wonderful idea... I am doing this with a bitter-sweet taste in my mouth, but I am at peace now. I know I did the right thing by letting him go.

Here's my buddy of 16 years, who's been there through it all, who moved to Canada with me bravely flying for 12 hours in a cage under my feet, who remained a gentleman till the last days of his life; dignified, loved by all; happy.

Tarzan, you've been gone for 2 years, but I will hold you in my heart forever. You'd like Sparky alot too, I know.
Attached Images

Old October 1st, 2010, 01:20 PM
Senior Contributor

This is going to be a beautiful thread, and sad.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old October 1st, 2010, 01:28 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Snowball, my precious boy who was my kitty soul mate for 14 years. No kitty will ever replace you, I miss you so much

Snowball as a kitten. We got him from Kingston Humane Society, he fit in my hand . They were doing an adoptathon at the local mall and he was one of the last kittens left . The volunteer opened the cage and he ran down the mall , this wee 6 week old kitten. DD said, mommy that's the kitten I want.
From the first night he came home until the last night , he slept beside me, both times struggling to climb up the bed.
Name:  Snowball kitten.jpg
Views: 503
Size:  57.0 KB

Snowball at about 6 years old with Puddles. Puddles loved her boy
Name:  Snowball and Puddles.jpg
Views: 918
Size:  112.3 KB

My beautiful boy

Name:  Snowball.jpg
Views: 511
Size:  90.2 KB

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old October 1st, 2010, 01:34 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Just one more of Snowball

Name:  Snowball christmas.jpg
Views: 570
Size:  92.7 KB

Sweet Grizzly. I was ignorant to the dangers of allowing my cats outside to roam. You passed so young, I am so sorry.

Name:  Grizzly.jpg
Views: 555
Size:  95.0 KB

I have had one dog in my life. Got him at a pet store before Puppymills were ever mentioned in the news. Tippy would like to keep all the children rounded up like they were sheep, lol.

Name:  Tippy.jpg
Views: 514
Size:  88.5 KB

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old October 1st, 2010, 02:44 PM
-

JennieV , Tarzan makes me think of my Chloe L4H , that family picture is so cute !

Ok , my turn. I never regretted adopting 4 seniors , but to have lost them all in a short period of time was extremely hard. I still think of them every day , and miss them so much. These dogs have made me a better person. they were all rescues and are the reason I started fostering.

Unfortunately , their pictures are mostly in my old computer that I never was able to put on a disc , I did keep the old computer , so that one day , someone can help me transferring those pics . These pictures of Daisy , Bailey and Sam are on my fridge.
Attached Images

Old October 1st, 2010, 02:49 PM
-

My little Chloe .... she was an "accident" I agreed to take this 12 yr old girl as a foster , based on a picture. They said she was a golden mix ... more of a Cocker she was. I fell in love with her the minute I saw her , and within 24 hours , she had already become a foster failure , she wasn't going anywhere ! I only had her for one year , she had developed Cushing's disease. I had to get up at 3-4 am every night to let her out to pee , cleaned pee incidents inside the house every day. And I would do it all over again if I could have her back.
Attached Images

Old October 1st, 2010, 03:07 PM
150% PRO S/N

Beautiful pics! Just beautiful!

Old October 1st, 2010, 03:39 PM
Senior Contributor

What lovely pics. I will have to see if I can get any of my past loved furries pics scanned.
Old October 1st, 2010, 04:17 PM
Doggie Wench

Our perfect little Peanut, whom we inherited from my late FIL. Hope Grandpa Dee finds bbq chicken for you at Rainbow Bridge sweetheart . I miss you both.

Name:  Peanut1.JPG
Views: 434
Size:  26.9 KB

My Matty. I would gladly go to hell and back for a second chance.

Name:  Matty.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  75.6 KB

Sweet Toby, who was abandoned by his lifelong owner at his greatest time of need. It was my deepest pleasure to love you.

Name:  Toby.JPG
Views: 453
Size:  46.0 KB
Old October 1st, 2010, 04:23 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

What beautiful pics everybody . Oh how lucky we were to have such love in our lives

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old October 1st, 2010, 05:02 PM

These pictures are amazing and it's so nice to see everyone's fond memories of their loved ones.
Old October 1st, 2010, 05:37 PM
Senior Contributor

What wonderful photos. The smiles on their faces are so beautiful. They all looked so happy and loved.

Frenchy, I love that photo of Chloe with the little coat.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old October 1st, 2010, 09:39 PM
Senior Contributor

Shayker..2001-2002 Renal failure

Akeija 1988 to 2002 Old age..I miss my girl

Sophie 1998 -2006 heart failure

Dallas 1998 to 2004 Colon cancer

Salsa..? 1998 killed by dog attack

Charlie ? - 2002 went missing

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else
Old October 1st, 2010, 10:39 PM
150% PRO S/N

Awww so sweet. Every single one of them.

Old October 2nd, 2010, 11:12 AM
Senior Contributor

what a wonderful tribute to so many beautiful companions we have loved and lost,they were all fortunate to have been loved by wonderful people,even if for some,it was only a short time.
i feel very teary right now,but i will pick some pics of my boy rocky..
Old October 2nd, 2010, 11:38 AM
Blue eyed funny farm

Bailey, we had for 2 years. I learnt a lot from him and I am so happy that he got to spend his golden years having fun as a dog

Puppy Man, another that we only had the pleasure to be with for 2 years. He had many health problems and despite our best efforts he lost his battle with HD

Sandy, my first "rescue" of sorts. I had paid 2 beers for her at a bar off an alcoholic who would tie her outside the bar and sit inside drinking all day and night. He was abusive to her as well. After getting everything in writing and the bartender being witness to the sale I left with Sandy.
She was a great little girl and proved way too much for a college student. I had placed her with a very nice elderly gentleman who had just lost his Cocker Spaniel and begged to have her. He had her right up until the day she was put down due to heart failure. The nice old man had passed shortly after and a picture of his 2 cockers are on his tombstone.

I cant find a picture of Max my lab mix, but I will dig one up...

Here is my first dog Petty, she was a stray that I spend 2 whole days playing with and my dad finally felt bad for both of us so said we could keep her until we found her home. She was our dog for 16 years. Quite possibly the best dog ever that walked this planet. I miss this girl so much still it isnt even funny.
Old October 2nd, 2010, 11:42 AM
~Cat Servent~

this thread is so beautiful....so many happy, very loved pets...

I have been fortunate to not have lost many, but those I have, well you know there's always that little spot of sorrow....

My first pet, a bunny named Thumper, I lost him when he was 11 (pts-very traumatic), he was an awesome boy....he'd let me cradle him in my arms and if i sang xmas carols he'd even fall asleep like that!
Name:  Feb 20 006.jpg
Views: 449
Size:  28.2 KBName:  Feb 20 004.jpg
Views: 446
Size:  16.4 KB

And Smoke's brother Ashes...he was only with us for two short short weeks, distemper. I loved him the moment I saw him...and still wish we had done more to try to help him.
Name:  IMG.jpg
Views: 440
Size:  28.2 KB

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old October 2nd, 2010, 11:48 AM
~Cat Servent~

This is Ebony, my in-laws boy, we lost him last winter to cancer...I was so upset, he had a lot of issues with people, but he'd let me brush him, and he gave the most adorable head butts! (we lost his brother Ben too the year before to the road outside their house- he used to drool on my lap while being petted! - he looked just like Eb only smaller)
Name:  05-14-07 172.jpg
Views: 478
Size:  90.3 KB

And I was so fortunate to have met Chico's Rocky...such a sweet sweet handsome boy....
Name:  9-3-08 036.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  73.2 KB

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old October 2nd, 2010, 11:55 AM
Senior Contributor

i hope you excuse me,but i must have hundreds of pis of my cats it was hard to chose..
it was strange,i went in to the kitchen after looking at many pics of rocky and for a second i saw him laying on his favorite chair,but of course he was not.
well,here is my sweet boy,whom i lost less than a month ago,to thyroid-cancer.
he lived life to the fullest,loved to come outside with us,he was my soulmate,my comfort and i loved and miss him very much...

i have lost many animals over the years,but rocky was very special
Attached Images

Old October 2nd, 2010, 12:00 PM
Senior Contributor

a couple more.....
Attached Images

Old October 2nd, 2010, 12:16 PM

Here's a picture of my Owen who left us way to early but we love him so much and we are glad he is out of pain now.
Attached Images

Old October 2nd, 2010, 05:18 PM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

I don't have any pics to add to this thread, the pics of all my lost loves are back at my house in the states. But looking at all these beautiful, happy little faces just brings tears to my eyes. Such lucky little babies to have had such wonderful homes.

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old October 2nd, 2010, 09:05 PM
Senior Contributor

I started breeding Australian Cattle Dogs back in the 70's so here are some of my early ones, gone to God.
Blue-Boy, determined to protect me with his life. I cried for a week after we lost him, I couldn't go near his grave till the grass grew back over it, and I still get teary thinking about him. A pretty dog with a coat like a seal. Miss him like he only died yesterday instead of in 1979.
Attached Images

Old October 2nd, 2010, 09:20 PM
Senior Contributor

This is Snoopy, the best ACD girl in the world. Also answered to "Lovie". Daughter of the first Aust. Obedience Ch. for this breed and it showed. Super intelligent, a brilliant worker on cattle or poultry - we used to let her put the chickens away each night - she was a wonderful guard dog, a smiler, a pacifist - we can't recall her ever being aggressive to other dogs and she used to try and stop fights between others here - we always thought she was worth her weight in gold. She was here for 14 1/2 happy years, how could you not miss her.
Attached Images

Old October 2nd, 2010, 09:25 PM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

Kalou, what a darling little piggy he was
I see how easy it would be to fall in love

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old October 2nd, 2010, 09:28 PM
Remembering Lukka

My angel, Lukka

Old October 2nd, 2010, 09:34 PM
Senior Contributor

My first lovely red boy, Rusty. A bit more dingo in this dog than there should have been I suspect and it showed in his temperament. He was a top notch personal guard dog, an excellent worker but he bit hard, a dog you needed to respect even as his owner, while strangers would be bitten if they didn't wait for him to decide when he wanted to let them touch him. All in all though , it was a pleasure to have in in our lives for nearly 10 years, poor lad had to be pts due to cancer.
Attached Images

Old October 2nd, 2010, 09:52 PM
150% PRO S/N

Oh Lukka'sma, how you must miss her. I get teary eyed looking at her gorgeous face and remembering her. I don't know how you do it. She was one of a kind.