Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 16th, 2007, 12:50 PM

Vaccine reaction in dog - Answered by Dr. Van Lienden

Hi and thank you for reading my post.
About two weeks ago, my yorkie/maltese dog (4.5 pounds) had a severe vaccine reaction. She recieved bordatella and the rabies vac. The vet speculated that the rabies vaccine was the cause of this. She went into shock and had to be placed on an IV and had reversing medications (i.e. benedryl). A week later, I was brushing her and her hair on her back started coming out in clumps. Now, she has barely any hair on the top of her back, and a large spot on her neck. The skin where those areas have hair loss is pink and is scaly in some areas.
My question is: will her hair grow back in those places? also, should I be concerned with the red, scaly skin?
Thank you!
Old January 16th, 2007, 12:52 PM
Senior Contributor

I would ask the vet about it, just to be sure
Old January 29th, 2007, 08:59 AM
Administrator

Occasionally a local reaction to injectables can show up as fur loss (I'm not certain if the fur/hair loss is at the vaccine site, you did not mention a specific region), and other times we see a more severe reaction.

If there is a severe enough trigger, such as shock--a type of vascular collapse--then skin can manifest a myriad number of changes, fur loss being one of them. The fur should grow back over the next three to six months if there is no other underlying condition, and I would use a water based hypo-allergenic skin emollient to address the scaling problem.

See your veterinarian if any other changes.

Dr. Van Lienden

Dr. Raymond Van Lienden DVM
The Animal Clinic of Clifton
12702 Chapel Road, Clifton
Virginia, U.S.A. 20124
703-802-0490
Old February 4th, 2007, 09:22 PM

Same Reaction!

Hey- I, too, have a yorkie/maltese pup who had his shots several weeks ago. He originally had a small red and balding spot, which has since significantly spead!! I am getting very concerned. When I called my vet, he said to "wait and see", but it is bigger and bigger. I was wondering if you had any resolution to your Morkie's hair loss??? Thank you so much!
Old March 16th, 2007, 12:45 PM

vaccine reactions

I found a site: http://www.dogsadversereactions.com/...edisposed.html
that may help you decide what to discuss with your vet. I'm not one, but it sounds like a possible auto immune problems starting.
A few books :" Vaccine guide for dogs & cats" by Catherine J.M. Diogati, MA
And one "Herbal dog care" by Randy Kidd, DVM,PhD are also helpful.
If you ever plan on breeding please be aware of what happened with your dogs and let prospective buyers of your pups know about it.
Good luck!
Old May 8th, 2007, 11:37 PM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterk4 View Post
Hi and thank you for reading my post.
About two weeks ago, my yorkie/maltese dog (4.5 pounds) had a severe vaccine reaction. She recieved bordatella and the rabies vac. The vet speculated that the rabies vaccine was the cause of this. She went into shock and had to be placed on an IV and had reversing medications (i.e. benedryl). A week later, I was brushing her and her hair on her back started coming out in clumps. Now, she has barely any hair on the top of her back, and a large spot on her neck. The skin where those areas have hair loss is pink and is scaly in some areas.
My question is: will her hair grow back in those places? also, should I be concerned with the red, scaly skin?
Thank you!
Hi, I have a Morkie who is 4 months old and the exact same thing has happened to her! I was wondering if your pup's hair ever grew back? Do I need to worry about her getting sunburned? Thanks so much! Suzi
Old May 29th, 2007, 01:55 PM

do all morkie puppies get bald spottings when they get there vac. and ive been looking for a morkie for quite some time now..where can i find one othere then pet finder?
Old September 20th, 2007, 10:49 PM

My Bichon had a bad reaction to Rabies vaccine

After my Bichon got his rabies shot the hair started falling out at the injection site. Over the next year it spread until it went under his belly and his leg on the whole side went bald. He had fathered 7 puppies before he got the vaccine but after that he was not able to perform again permanently. After a year I took him back to my vet and she said she had many other dogs that had the same reaction and it was from a bad batch of Rabies vaccine. She was very angry at the company which I cannot mention because they paid all my vet bills which came to over $500.00 and made me sign a paper saying I would not release information about the vaccine or the company's name to anyone in order to recieve the re-imbursment. My vet gave me pills to give him daily for 100 days and they helped some of the hair to grow back but he has a permanent bald spot and a hard lump on that spot on his leg. He also was never able to perform for breeding again so after 3 years I finally gave up and had him neutered. I'm now scared to have him get the rabies vaccine and have been hiding him from the local people that license dogs so they won't find out. I'm worried another vaccine will hurt him worse or kill him. It's a law they have to have the vaccine and my new vet said there is nothing I can do about it except to try to not let anyone know he isn't licensed or up to date on his rabies vaccine. He recommended I follow the law and give him the vaccine but I refused. I love my little guy to much to take the chance.