Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants > Pet Stories - anecdotes - jokes

Old July 28th, 2004, 08:57 AM

Bad pet owners could face year in jail

Copied this from the Toronto Sun

DeerClan

OFFICIALS IN an Arkansas city are considering fining pet owners up to $1,000 US and jailing them for a year if they fail to pick up their stray dogs or cats after six days -- the same penalties as someone convicted of negligent homicide. While the city says the suggested ordinance tracks with state law, pet owners say it is excessive.

"I think jail time may be a little severe. What if you're on vacation and someone else is taking care of your dog when it leaves?" dog owner Kathy Jones said.

Under the ordinance, pet owners could be cited for animal abandonment on the seventh day of impoundment.

James Willett, director of code enforcement for the city, said the proposed ordinance mirrors the state's law against cruelty to animals regarding animal abandonment. He said fines would likely be lower.

"The judge is going to make the determining factor; nothing is set in stone. It's like shoplifting or driving while intoxicated. People who get DWIs get less than the maximum fine," Willett said.
Old July 28th, 2004, 09:37 AM
Senior Contributor

This would be a great law to have passed for lousy pet owners.
Old July 28th, 2004, 10:36 AM
Senior Contributor

Thumbs up

"Could be sited" is the key here. Extenuating circumstances, I'm sure, would be taken into consideration if the pet owner was away and someone else taking care of the pet. But it does give a means to go after those abusers that flaunt their irresponsibility repeatedly.
Old July 28th, 2004, 10:43 AM
Senior Contributor

I Love It.......................
Old July 28th, 2004, 11:00 AM

It's about time. Hopefully the money will go directly to these shelters that houses and feeds them. Hopefully people will start to think about what it truly means to be a pet owner, not dropping them off out of nowhere. Pets are not disposable like garbage.
Old July 28th, 2004, 11:08 AM
Senior Contributor

Now, if only they'd up the penalties for those that abuse animals!
Old July 29th, 2004, 11:51 PM
~Cat Servent~

Hmmmm....

but the question is do you really want an irresponsible pet owner to be forced to keep or pick up an animal they don't want or can't take care of? I think that may open up for a whole new set of problems (neglect/ possible abuse). I guess you would just have to take it case by case.
Old August 12th, 2004, 10:43 AM

Very good news. Let's hope the idea spreads.

Think about it this way:

Most cities for Licensing purposes require a dog to be microchipped. When a pet is microchipped, it is their responsibility to provide proper care for the animal. In addition, improper sale or transfer of the pet would require them to register the sale/transfer with the local licensing office.

I would even take this a step further:

Only certified breeders and authorized pet dealers are allowed to sell dogs, or register transfers of dogs. This would restrict "backyard breeding" severely. Routine inspections should be done in suspected cases of backyard breeding, and unlicensed ownership of dogs.

That being said, there will be fewer homeless puppies, and fewer cases of irresponsible ownership.
Old August 12th, 2004, 11:35 AM
Senior Contributor

I hope that does spread it is a great idea. I love the fact that you could in time put BYB's and Puppy mills out of business or at least decrease the amount drastically.
Old August 13th, 2004, 09:05 AM

I have to comment on this as well,
"I think jail time may be a little severe. What if you're on vacation and someone else is taking care of your dog when it leaves?" dog owner Kathy Jones said.
Is that to say then, that if someone places their child with another person to watch while they are at work, and that child wanders off, someone is not blamed? Obviously the daycare person would be blamed, but they would investigate the parental choice for that person as well. If the daycare person wasn't certified or licenced to provide care, officials would want to know why parents chose that person.

It's a good question, but it does open an arena for another set of questions. Ultimately it is the responsibility for an owner to find responsible care for their animals when they are gone.
Old August 13th, 2004, 09:38 AM

This woman asked "What if you're on vacation?". If you're on vacation, then the person looking after your pet will be responsible, and they should get whatever punishment is legislated. However, I doubt that every abandoned animal in shelters all over the globe had owners who were on vacation (unless you consider that their brains had taken permanent vacations from the rest of their bodies!).
Old September 8th, 2004, 10:37 PM

Great idea. I hope it catches on nation wide. The thought of monies collect from fines go to animal shelters is a wonderful idea as well