Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old December 6th, 2007, 07:29 PM

Cherry Eye (Prolapsed 3rd eyelid)

Hello

We have a 5 month old Bull Mastiff who is absolutely adorable! As if you have never heard that before!!!!

His eyes look like there's 2 pieces of bubble gum protruding from the bottom of his eyes. It looks really bad and the person I got him from said it was cosmetic and you should be able to get them fixed (Surgery) for a couple of hundred dollars.

I spent all day phoning vets and most will not even me a ball park figure over the phone. They all want you to come in for the $60 consulting fee. Only 2 out of 10 would give me an idea. So far the quotes are between $800.00 to $1,200.00 Don't misunderstand there's no price high enough to keep your puppy healthy.

I live in the Toronto/Mississauga area and I find it really too high a price.
I've seen prices on some forums around $200-$400. That's in the U.S.

There must be a place to have this done and I'm thinking of calling out of town places as vet rates are much cheaper in rural areas.

Has anyone ever experienced this Cherry Eye and how did it go????

Sincerely,
Bobsuruncle
Old December 6th, 2007, 07:39 PM

Hi Bobsuruncle;

Sorry to hear about your pups eye problems.
My Springer Pup has had horrible problems. We thought she had cherry eye but then found through biopsies that she had overwhelming bacterial infection. Her third eyelids were rolled back covering her eyes.We also found out she has dry eye.
I really think you should have the pup checked by a Board Approved Opthamologist if you haven't already. You will get confirmation on the diagnosis and get the best advice re solutions for your dog. I saw a Ophamologist in Toronto. Not many around. It is expensive for sure- however, in the long run if its done right it will cost you less.
Old December 6th, 2007, 07:40 PM
Half Way To Crazy

hi again I did a search on this site and found this maybe it will be helpfull to you

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread....ght=cherry+eye

click on the link
Old December 6th, 2007, 07:54 PM

Thank you

Excellent advise!

Thank you for this information, as it is a priority to have this fixed.

He looks great when he sleeps! LOL

The rate I did get was from a Opthamologist which wouldn't give a guarantee. Even if it happened 2 weeks later. Yikes!

Thanks for the link as it really puts my mind at ease to see that there are vet services that are realistic or at least reasonable.

It may be worth a drive to Barrie which is only an hours drive.

Would like to have this done yesterday as he looks so bizarre with these hanging out of his eyes.

Thanks for your kind wisdom

Bobsuruncle
Old December 6th, 2007, 08:08 PM
Half Way To Crazy

now can we see pictures of your baby????????

I really don't know to much about cherry eye but looking around before jumping into anything is the best advice I can give you.. If you are not happy with one keep looking..
Old December 9th, 2007, 05:39 AM

Our shih zu had cherry eye when we got her,,The vet fixed it when she got spayed for practically nothing. She said it takes about five minutes to stitch it back in. Kaya was out for the spaying so the extra cost was basically nothing. Good luck!
Dobb
Old December 11th, 2007, 08:15 PM

Vets

I hope Im not out of line here in asking this.

Please forgive me if it's wrong to ask.

I'm trying to obtain a vet in the Mississauga/Toronto area.

I'm going through the yellow pages phoning all kinds of vets who I really don't know and it's like throwing darts!!

I'm just can't believe the prices I've been quoted. Anywhere from $800.00 to $2,300.00. I read this procedure is a 20 min procedure and I've seen prices for the procedure $200.00 to $450.00 on the east coast.

I know welcome to the real world LOL

I'm just beginning to realize why these people were going to have him put under! Which is way out there as this pup is a really a real keeper!!!

It's quite possible they couldn't afford it. He's about 10-15 lbs underweight and he has a discharge coming from one ear! The ear smells bad.

I would really appreciate it if someone knows a good vet that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Arm maybe, that way I can still walk around!

I just think word of mouth has a lot of value!

Sorry if this wrong to do.

Sincerely,

Bobsuruncle
Old December 11th, 2007, 08:21 PM
Half Way To Crazy

Bobsuruncle
is there like a cegep or a collage near you that they teach vet school at??

I know in montreal there is and during the school year we can call and make an appointment for nurtering or spaying shots, and other things and they are much cheaper than vet offices.. they have a trained vet on staff.. but since it is a teaching school and the students need the pratice it is worth it..
you can try that?? justt a thought
Old December 11th, 2007, 08:27 PM
Half Way To Crazy

for his ear it could be an infection.. he will need antibiotics.. you can try cleaning his ear until you get him to the vets with applecider vinigar.. there is a thread started about it.. Fordgirl started it I think the title is AC vinigar..

here it is maybe this can help him
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=47036
Old December 11th, 2007, 09:51 PM

Vet

Hello Breeze

I did try the University of Guelph as they do have a vet school. They will not see anyone unless it's a referral from a vet.

For now I'll just get him in tomorrow for just a check up to see what shape he's in.

It's like a crap shoot trying to get these eyes done. Guess I have to go with blind faith, which can be risky.

Thanks again Breeze

Bobsuruncle