Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old October 19th, 2006, 06:03 PM

Have you posted pics of your newf yet?
Old October 19th, 2006, 06:16 PM

Oh crap, can I add two more little dogs to my list pls????
6) Papillon
7) Brussels Griffon

Oh and one more to my big list???
4) American Bulldogs
Old October 22nd, 2006, 06:50 AM

I just read through these posts and can't believe no one mentioned shih zu's. These have got to be the best little dogs, they don't shed, don't bark, just want to be cuddled and with you all the time. You can dress them up and do there hair up in a ponytail and make them look pretty. I guess everyone has their own tastes and mine happens to be shih zu's. They all should recieve the love they get from the people on this forum, some of the stories of abandment are heart wrenching. Here's a pic of Beauty who passed on last winter,,how could you not love her. Dobb
Attached Images

Old October 22nd, 2006, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobb
Here's a pic of Beauty who passed on last winter,,how could you not love her. Dobb
Awwww, what a little cutie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobb
You can dress them up and do there hair up in a ponytail and make them look pretty. Dobb
Lol, I just had to laugh! I suppose having a shepherd that's not what comes to mind! But that's why it's so interesting to see everyones choices, we all love dogs and value different characteristics!
Old October 22nd, 2006, 01:09 PM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

I too love big dogs but haven't met a dog I didn't :love:

(1st Golden's ) and maybe one day
1. American Bulldog
2. Pit bull (AST #1, APBT #2, SBT #3)
3. Boxer, GSD, Rotties, Huskies

Last edited by Golden Girls; January 16th, 2007 at 11:32 AM.
Old October 27th, 2006, 09:10 AM

But remember that Huskies shed! You may not really understand how much before you own one :-)
And regarding adoption of a grown up dog - it may have many hidden problems and costs. I adopted a Husky and although she appeared healthy till now I paid tons to her veterinarian (she had various illneses, some being just infections probably aquired in the shelter and some she had before). A grown up dog may have behavioral problems which are much harder to correct than these of a puppy and may have been a victim to abuse. So think twice before you adopt, although it's a great thing to do
Old October 27th, 2006, 10:29 AM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

I would just have to take my chances ... I'm only interested in adopting one from a shelter or rescue.
Old October 27th, 2006, 11:26 AM
Senior Contributor

If you ever think seriously about adopting a boxer here's a link you should check out : http://www.boxerrescuequebec.com

Deep thought, by Jack Handey : "I think my new thing will be to try to be a real happy guy. I'll just walk around being real happy until some jerk says something stupid to me."
Old October 27th, 2006, 01:23 PM

Wow. I am really really late adding to this one. Just three...

1) Pittie
1) Bulldogs English and American
1) Any Giant Breed ( Neopolitan Mastiffs, Great Dane, Elkhound......)
2) Portuguese Water Dog
2) Bearded Collie
2) Standard Poodle
3) Papillon
3) Briard
3) Komondor

There are lots more but, since there's only room for three. eh hem

I love all dogs, when I was a kid and all the other girls were reading books about ponies and princesses I was reading about dogs, researching breeds, researching everything really, I remember being about ten and learning from a book how to perform CPR on a dog....
Old October 27th, 2006, 06:47 PM

Suppose, while I love all dogs, I would say the 3 breeds we have now:

1. Bernese Mountain Dog
2. Golden Retriever
3. Leonberger

The Leonberger originated in Leonberg, Germany around 1864 I believe, and was a mix of Newfoundland, Saint Bernard and Great Pyrenees. They can vary from quite light in colour to a deep red gold and resemble a Lion once their mane develops. They are a very friendly breed, and harder to train than say the Berner. Savannah gives the best kisses and isn't stingy with them either.

At some point in time, I wouldn't be surprised to see a Newf join this household as my daughter already has a name picked out, and they just love BIG dogs.

We have also had in the past a Rough Collie and an American Cocker Spaniel and loved them all.
Old November 2nd, 2006, 03:29 PM
ZooKeeper aka Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobb View Post
I just read through these posts and can't believe no one mentioned shih zu's. These have got to be the best little dogs, they don't shed, don't bark, just want to be cuddled and with you all the time. You can dress them up and do there hair up in a ponytail and make them look pretty. I guess everyone has their own tastes and mine happens to be shih zu's. They all should recieve the love they get from the people on this forum, some of the stories of abandment are heart wrenching. Here's a pic of Beauty who passed on last winter,,how could you not love her. Dobb
I would have listed shih tzu as #1 (have a cross) but I hate being limited

I really thought about it for a while before I answered what I did and realized that I don't have a favorite breed...fav dog? yes breed...no....love them all too much to pick a fav.
Old November 2nd, 2006, 05:59 PM
Slave to the Wigglebum

I haven't answered this thread because, like a lot of others, I cannot decide on just one breed. I love all dogs, but my favorites are the ones that give the biggest, wettest, sloppiest kisses.
Old November 12th, 2006, 12:32 PM

I've posted on this thread, but changed my mind.

The more I think of it, the more I know I'm a Standard Poodle fanatic. It wasn't an obvious choice for me, I'm a mid 50's, well educated, alpha male type. Past dogs have been a couple of Great Danes, a shepherd mix, a golden retriever, smooth coat collie, an eskie, and almost had a male newfie (he died of parvo at the shelter before I could bring him home.)

I've had two Poodles. Angie's my current best friend. Here's what make them so wonderful for me. First, they are incredibly clean--they don't have fur so they don't shed (their covering is considered hair,) the poodles I've had-had very little oil in their skin, and no dander. They don't smell doggy.

They are very smart and they hard bond to their people--Angie follows me around and comes to rest wherever I am. Angie is mostly very well behaved--my sister has a new Std. Poodle (Willie,) too, and he is pretty much the same way. Yes, they can push the envelope a little--chewing and having accidents--but once they know the rules, they don't generally make the same mistake more than once. My experience has been that there's very little defiance and really good response to rewards (praise works really well with Angie.)

They are very affectionate--but demand affection, too.

Angie has grown into a very pleasant, elegant dog. When we're out doing leash work, her posture is almost military straight, and when she walks, it's a trotting bounce, like a show dog. Fun to watch--when she's walking, you can see the complete soles of her feet at the top of the stride.

Finally, while elegant, they are not delicate. Off leash and playing, they play hard and have a lot of stamina--my little dog runs circles around my bro's 5 yr old GSD--and wears her out. Angie shows signs of wanting to hunt--she's taught herself to retrieve toys--chase after them and then bring them back and drop them at my feet. I'm considering asking the local hunting dog trainer (in the next valley) to help me train her for upland (chukar, quail, partridge) hunting and field trials. Lot of work, but I think we'd both enjoy it--and the novelty of a Std Poodle in Field Trials would be so much fun. She's a willing swimmer. Loves to go for rides and loves to go to the pet store and Lowe's or Home Depot (or wherever she's allowed to come in.)

Yeah, I know, I'm totally besoted.

Last edited by Angies Man; November 12th, 2006 at 12:34 PM.
Old November 17th, 2006, 05:55 PM

Tough Decision

I love all breeds but if I had to chose
St. Bernard
Newfoundlands
Labs

Three is not enough....I feel guilty because I want to name sooo much more
Old November 20th, 2006, 01:17 PM

1)MinPins
2)Newfs
3)Golden Retrievers

But i have to agree with everyone else. I have yet to meet a dog I don't like
Old November 25th, 2006, 01:15 PM

labs
chihuahua(smoothcoat)
english bulldogs
french bulldogs
pugs.
they aren't in real order but these are the breeds i'm in love with and i only own one.a black lab with i think pitbull in her big suck.
Old November 25th, 2006, 01:26 PM
Senior Contributor

Labs
Rough Haired Collies....my very first rescue (RIP Sable)
and I hope that one day, when i get a bigger house I will rescue another one. I love how they talk. Sable always had something to say. He taught Winnie how to play and talk at the same time.
Old November 25th, 2006, 02:05 PM
Retriever Fever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
Really ? Afghans are rare these days,could you image bringing one in the woods? With that long hair picking up everything
Frenchy, you have goldens right? Dontcha find they pick up everything on their fur as well? We can't go near a bush without Toby getting burrs everywhere!!

My top three would probably be:

1. anything 'retriever'
2. german shepherd
3. bernese mountain dogs

If given a 4th, I would say beagles - they're so adorable but I can't take the hound noises! The only 'noisy' breed I have had so far is the Malamute we fostered. She only sang for her walkies.
Old November 25th, 2006, 04:50 PM
Pumpkin' Dumplin' Gang

well let's see..........#1. my dog (chow/elkhound) #2. great dane #3 pug
3+ cats......Surround sound
Old December 27th, 2006, 07:48 PM

1. GSD - i think they are gorgeous but i don't know if i can handle so much dog
2. Papillon - my mom has 3 of them and my grandma has one they are the most gorgeous little dogs with diva attitude
3. Cocker Spaniels - I will always have a cocker spaniel they are the sweetest dog easy to train and easy going they make my heart melt

I'm biased though lol
Old December 28th, 2006, 10:04 AM

my favs are first and foremost the Staffie...I just love the personalities they have...super loving, committed, gentle, caring...that's why I hate this breed ban deal...I can only myself living with two other breeds...Boxers and boston terriers...with any luck the ban will be lifted and i'll have staffie for the rest of my life..otherwise when Odie and Maggie go to the rainbow bridge I'll be looking for a boxer and or a boston
Old December 28th, 2006, 10:38 AM

since owning a greyhound x and a saluki x id have to say greyhounds and saluki`s but i do like pugs and if i get a 3rd dog i think thats what i would get.
Old December 28th, 2006, 12:24 PM

goes without saying

Well, number 1 would be Newfs of course!

My favorite dog has to have 3 qualities:furry, smart, gentile..... wait 4 qualities LARGE!!!

I also loved my Collie and would bet another any day of the week. They realy have it all. They're not as big as I like, but a decent sized animal.

I've always wanted an Irish Wolfhound. A friend had one when I was a kid and I always loved it! I don't realy know if it was smart, since they werent required to do much but eat, sleep and intimidate strangers, but I've thought about getting one.

PS. Does Newflover have any pics?

Angie J
Old January 15th, 2007, 05:06 PM

Wow, I'm amazed at how many like the large breeds more than the small toy breeds.
My favorites are 1. chihuahua 2.maltese or ****zu 3.pomeranian.
If I could add to the list then it would be min pins, papillons and generally all other breeds large or small. While the GSD isn't one of my favorite breeds, Summit my GSD is definitely one of my favorite dogs and I love her dearly.
As you can tell I definitely favour the toy breeds. The rest of my family though like the larger breeds. While I can't name a breed of dog I don't like there are definitely dogs that I don't like.
Old January 15th, 2007, 05:35 PM
Learning fast

After having a wolfhound mix I would love to have a full size wolfhound , I really like the wire hair fox terrier but I know they are strong willed and I want an easy time of training next time. I love the look of shih tsu/poodles on petfinder and they all look so very different. My opinion varys all the time, probably because I'm a sucker for rescues and the variety of mixed breeds/mutts/hienz 57 or however you want to put it.
Old January 15th, 2007, 10:48 PM

Mine would have to be Bloodhounds!
Old January 15th, 2007, 11:08 PM

I love the large breeds
Partial to my 1. Leonberger and
2. Newfoundlands
3. Great Pyranees
Old January 17th, 2007, 09:28 AM
NOT a senior member

1. Bullmastiff
2. Minpin
3. Great Dane
Yes I currently own all three, and there is really no order to my preferences, although esthetically I am drawn to the bully...(don't tell the others). I love them all for very different reasons, and appreciate their qualities that specific to their breed. Bullmastiff (stoic guardian) Great Dane (scaredy cat goofball) Minpin (energetic busybody) Plus, its real fun to walk a Great Dane and a Minpin together
Old January 17th, 2007, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobb View Post
I thought this was an old thread or you would certainly have heard from me.

Shih Tzus first a hardy good family dog sweetest temperment imagionable.

Caviler King Charles Spanial I've never had one but I just love their looks.

Cocker Spaniels (even though Lacey was attacked by one I still like the breed)

Thats my top three although I due have a weekness for Chinese cresteds and Papilions.

Spelling is an option
Old January 27th, 2007, 08:44 AM
D.

Location: I am living in the countryside only 6 miles from Brussels.
here is my little list

1 Irish Wolfhounds
2 Great Danes
3 Deerhounds

And yes i like all of the gentle giants.