Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old April 9th, 2010, 02:49 PM

Childhood Pets:
Max - golden retriever: Family dog, parents got him from a reputable breeder. Wanted to make sure temperament would be good since my bro and I were little. He lived til he was 14.
Blacky & Rocket- black and black and white domestic shorthairs (brother & sister): Dad went to pick up ONE kitten from a newspaper ad and came home with two, to my mom's chagrin. They were Easter presents for my brother and I who absolutely cherished them. They passed away at ages 13 and 14.

Jake - border collie X: he was dumped in a rural area and wandered into my then-riding instructor's yard and almost got shot by her husband who mistook him for a different stray that had been terrorizing their horses. They couldn't keep him and gave him to the Humane society. In my riding lesson that night, she asked if anyone was looking for a nice dog as he was going to be put down tomorrow. I begged all night and my dad went out to look at him and fell in love. After that, Jake was only ever my dad's dog. His sweet old soul left this world this January at 16 (approx) yrs old. He was our gateway to the wonderful world of rescues.

Current:
Ranger - flat coat X: Picked up from an awful situation in a rural community by a rescue society. (I only found out HOW awful a few days ago - I cried all day when I heard and thank goodness this dog has a resilient spirit. How he can still trust people is beyond me.) He was the the society for a scant 7 days before I adopted him I've had him for a year now and we worked through a few minor issues. He was definitely the dog for me - everything about him suits me. He may not be a perfect dog, but he's perfect for me.
Blue - lap sharpei X: He's actually my brother's dog but he's Ranger's best friend. He came from a different rescue society than Ranger's. He was picked up off a reserve at 2 months old and my bro adopted him at 3 months. He's a great, funny guy.

Oh, and my horse - Virgil, show name "On the Verge". Chestnut TB/DWB X. Got him from a stable when he was 4 yrs old for fairly cheap at the time. Loads of talent and scope, but a few mental issues. Worked through all the issues and he became a 3'6 - 4' showjumper/big Eq horse before hurting himself at Spruce Meadows in 2006 at the age of 12. He's 15 now, retired and will spend the rest of his days in safety and comfort. I've been offered lots of money for him when he was showing but could never ever sell him due to his issues. I'd worry forever about where he'd end up. In fact, I've had trainers tell me they'd have sent him to the dogmeat factory with some of the stunts he pulled. Stupid people.

Here's a pic of Ranger and Blue from last Sunday taking a break from a hike. And one of Virgil days before moving to his retirement home.
Attached Images

Old April 9th, 2010, 04:28 PM
Hazel's Personal Servant

Just the pets I've owned:

Sheena - coyote mix, her mom showed up on my uncles property pregnant. He gave her food and a place to sleep (but no vet care) and she died when her pups were about 5 weeks old. Sheena lived to be 17 yrs old.

Boon - corgi, found her in our backyard right before Christmas one year. We think someone threw her over the fence. Vet said that she was just a few weeks old. She lived to be 16 years old.

Lacey - newf, first dog we ever got from a breeder, passed at 19 months due to total kidney failure (birth defect).

Hazel - newf, breeder (replacement for Lacey)

Malone - collie/hound x, local Humane Society

Spike - green iguana, bought from a petstore in 1990. Petstore owner told us he was less than 6 months old. He was closer to 1 1/2 yrs. He's 21+ yrs old now and counting.

Jaws - green iguana, ad in newspaper

Also have to add son's dogs since I consider them mine too:

Parker - newf, breeder
Lexi - Sharpei, got from a woman whose son had bought her from a breeder, then promptly dumped her on his mom. The woman gave her to a friend but took her back a couple of weeks later when she watched the friend's boyfriend try to drop kick the pup for piddling on the floor.