Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

View Poll Results: Best kibble for a GSD pup to grow on
Orijen Large Breed Puppy Formula 17 89.47%
Now Puppy Formula 0 0%
Innova Large Breed Puppy Formula 1 5.26%
Wellness Super5Mix Formula 2 10.53%
Solid Gold Wolf Cub 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 26th, 2009, 05:40 PM

Food for my new gsd pup 9 weeks old - Suggestions please

Hi Everyone

I will be getting my little gsd girl (9 weeks) soon. The breeder has her on eukanuba and canidae. I have been reseaching and have narrowed down the food to Orijen Puppy Large, Wellness Super 5 Mix (Chicken or Lamb), Innova Large Breed Pup or Solid Gold Wolf Cub.

I also have looked at Now Grain free puppy formula. I know I have mentioned quite a few brands. Just wanted to make sure I feed her good kibble which I am sure will benefit her in the long run. I know to slowly wean her off the Eukanuba.

I was thinking maybe it would help if I choose a brand that I could continue with even after I get to adult food.

Any suggestions.....

Thanks in advance.
Old April 26th, 2009, 07:47 PM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

I would go with Orijen Large Breed Puppy. I feed my dogs Orijen and they do really well. It's pretty easy to find, as is their Large Breed Adult formula for later on when you need it.

I do like Now! but find it expensive. I feed it to my cat though, since he doesn't need 2+ cups of food a day.

Innova is a great brand but isn't grain-free, (unless you feed EVO).

And I have been hearing funny things about Wellness lately - I believe they were just bought out by a larger company and now the quality is suffering.

Go with the Orijen!

And please post pics of your puppy later....love GSDs
Kailey (Misunderstood Gentle Beauty) - GSD & foster failure #1
Rupert (Gold-Medal Winner of the 3 a.m. Kitty Destruction Olympics )

Heidi - RIP my sweet baby girl
Old April 27th, 2009, 02:22 AM
-

I would choose Orijen Large Breed Puppy as well.

Great ingredients and Champion Pet Foods has it's own manufacturing plant as well.
Old April 27th, 2009, 08:01 AM

I feed my male GSD Orijen dogfood, I have since he was 7 weeks old.
I'm very happy with the food, he has always been a good weight and had a really shiny coat. The vet always comments on how handsome he is and how very shiny he is.
I would only feed the large breed puppy formula, then switch the one of the adult products when she is older. You might want to research orijens protein content, many shepherd people are starting to dislike feeding the food to younger dogs because of this.
I never found a problem with feeding it to my boy, but each dog is different. I unfortunately cannot feed my female GSD Orijen products, they are far too rich for her (the protien and fat content is too high) and she gets overweight, very fast.
Old April 27th, 2009, 08:52 AM

Some more questions....

From what I hear Orijen wins hands down. To cut down on the protein in the large breed pup food can I cut down on serving size?

How do they do on bananas?

One of my deciding factor is also that it is Canadian made.

Another question I have is about nail clippers. I saw this product Pedipaws. Is it good? Or is it recommended to go old style? If yes, what kind is recommended for GSD's?

I will definitely post some pics when I get her. I am actually praying for time to fly by sooooon.....
Old April 27th, 2009, 12:11 PM

I have heard great things about dremmelling, maybe that's something you can look into as far as nail clippers go.
My dogs really don't care for the dremmel, they will tolerate it but it's obvious that the process annoys them. I never got them use to the dremmel when they were pups so it's not surprising that they dislike it. I use a regular nail clipper and a good old fashion nail file on them.
Old April 27th, 2009, 07:45 PM

The Orijen plant is in my backyard! I really want to see about doing a tour on my holidays in May (ya, I know get a life eh?) hee hee.
Anyway Scruff has been on Orijen for a year. Wonderful stuff. They are big on quality control. They pulled 6 fish last year because someone found some visible bone in it (bones have to be a certain size or smaller). They source locally. No imported mystery ingredients. No grains.
Old April 28th, 2009, 07:36 PM

Question Acana dog food??

Anyone have any experience with this food? I know it is made by the same company manking Orijen. They apparently have changed their formulas or something.

Would this be a better bet than Orijen - for two reasons, the protein level and cost $$$. I think Acana is cheaper.
Old April 28th, 2009, 08:38 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewGSDPUPOwner View Post
From what I hear Orijen wins hands down. To cut down on the protein in the large breed pup food can I cut down on serving size?

Another question I have is about nail clippers. I saw this product Pedipaws. Is it good? Or is it recommended to go old style? If yes, what kind is recommended for GSD's?

I will definitely post some pics when I get her. I am actually praying for time to fly by sooooon.....
pedipaws is on sale at canadian tire this week for $18.99!! I just bought one but haven't used it on his nails yet.....still getting him used to the sound!

Oh and I say Orijen, made, and it's a great food!

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old April 29th, 2009, 11:31 AM

Talking

I bought the Dremel tool instead of Pedi Paws. I am keeping my fingers crossed that she will be able to adjust to it.

I am concerned about the high protein content. Therefore also looking at Acana which is I understand by the same manufacturer (Champion).

They have the large breed as well as the grain free options now.

Any opinions.....
Old April 29th, 2009, 11:49 AM

I personally really like Acana and have not heard anything bad about the products.
I'm sure she will adjust to the dremel just fine, as long as you introduce it to her in a postive way. Let her get use to the sound before you touch it to her nails and reward calm behavior.
Old April 29th, 2009, 12:35 PM

Has anyone had experience with Horizon foods?? I have gone through some articles online in regards to introducing the dremel. I intend to follow those recommendations so as to getting her used to it.

I am so excited about getting her home. I know it is going to be challenging with the middle of the nights taking her out but I think in the long run it will be worth it.
Old April 29th, 2009, 02:08 PM
-

Horizon was discussed in this thread ....

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread....rizon+dog+food
Old May 5th, 2009, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewGSDPUPOwner View Post

Same here, need to support the Canadian economy

Marc