Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Tech talk

Old April 19th, 2008, 07:52 PM
-

tv question

I installed my second TV (that I never use) in my solarium today , I have Bell Express Vu on the main TV because that's the only way you can get cable here in the boonies. The second tv is not hooked up to the satellite. I had a small antenna and just broke it , don't even know if it would have worked .... because I can't get any channels now on the second tv. So , for those of you who don't have cable , what do you use to get basic free channels ? Do the tv antennas that you hook up on the tv work ? (the ones you buy in electronic stores)
Old April 19th, 2008, 08:30 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Frenchy you could try a coat hanger..the metal ones...bend it around so that it is like an antenna...then try to hook it up to the back of your tv where the antenna would be hooked up..

I dont know how to do it but could you not split your satelite..you know how poeple used to buy a splitter for their tv..they could drill in through the wall and split the coax connection?

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old April 19th, 2008, 08:39 PM
head in the clouds

Frenchy im in the middle of Montreal but the TV i had in my old apartment was a simple ariel that stuck on top and I got 3/4 free channels rather clear as far as I know with no cable you should have 6 channes minus an ariel.
(>'.'<) Zena ~ 14 yrs Calico long hair
& Hugo ~ 10 yrs GBGV
Old April 19th, 2008, 08:42 PM

HI,

Go to the store and get yourself a splitter ( any hardware store) and enough cowax cable to reach your other t.v. The splitter has an input and 2 outputs.
( you actually need two short peice of cowax to run from the bell receiver to the input on the splitter and the second short peice that goes from the out put on the splitter to your main t.v) Now take your long peice of cowax. attach it to your second output and run it to your 2nd t.v,, vala,, you now can watch your t.v,, but you will have to watch what ever channel you have it on on your main t.v.
Old April 19th, 2008, 09:47 PM
Swift Tribe

also, dont know abotu CA but in the US those bunny ears wont get you anything next year although right now they will do the job!!

-ash

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Cailyn- Daughter, 07/05/99
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Mister- Black LabX, M, 08/06(?)
The Shadow Stalker- Gray Tux DSH, M, 04/04
The Mighty Hunter- Black Tux DSH, M, 04/04
Baby Girl- Tabby DMH, F, 12/03(?)
Frances- Tortie, DSH, F, 2007(?)
Old April 20th, 2008, 01:52 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by jealma View Post
HI,

Go to the store and get yourself a splitter ( any hardware store) and enough cowax cable to reach your other t.v.
That's exactly what I don't want I already have all the gear , use to put cable on second tv when I lived in appartment. But I just want the basic stations on the second tv.
Old April 20th, 2008, 01:54 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by want4rain View Post
also, dont know abotu CA but in the US those bunny ears wont get you anything next year although right now they will do the job!!

-ash
That's what I was thinking , getting bunny ears. But why won't they work next year in US ?
Old April 21st, 2008, 01:54 AM
-

I don't think they will work in Canada either. It's something to do with all signals being digital and no analog any more.

I don't really understand it all myself so I hope someone can explain in easy to understand language cuz I'd like to know too.
Old April 21st, 2008, 06:03 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I think Canada is changing to digital a year after the US.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old April 21st, 2008, 11:22 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
I don't think they will work in Canada either. It's something to do with all signals being digital and no analog any more.

I don't really understand it all myself so I hope someone can explain in easy to understand language cuz I'd like to know too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
I think Canada is changing to digital a year after the US.
So that mean if people don't get cable or satellite , they don't get anything on TV ?
Old April 21st, 2008, 11:26 AM
-

I think it is in 2010 that we are changing which is a bummer because when the satellite goes on the blink we just change to antenna and get out usual five channels that we lived with for years. It's all a big money grab, what else is new.

I have a set of bunny ears if you want them Frenchy
Old April 21st, 2008, 11:38 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris21711 View Post
I have a set of bunny ears if you want them Frenchy
It's going to cost more to ship them here than to buy bunny ears but thank you. I will try the coat hanger thing , (after I strip the wood from it ) I know I know , use the metal ones
Old April 21st, 2008, 11:42 AM
Gianna's Mommy

I'm sure you won't want to do this (b/c its a lot of work and i think expensive) but here in the US we use an Off-Air Antenna to get our local channels. I have Directv, and to get our High Def local channels we need one, but it also picks up the standard channels. An Off-Air ant is like bunny ears for the outside of your house. My boyfriend works for DirecTV, thats the only reason why i know this. For this also to work, you would have to live close enough to were the TV stations broadcast. Good luck tho!!
Old April 21st, 2008, 11:51 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnelnAMiII25 View Post
you would have to live close enough to were the TV stations broadcast. Good luck tho!!
I'm pretty sure I can get some american channels , I'm 20 minutes from the U.S. border
Old April 21st, 2008, 11:57 AM

The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) in May announced analog over-the-air broadcasts will be shut off and replaced by digital on Aug. 31, 2011.

The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too. ~Samuel Butler, Notebooks, 1912
Old April 21st, 2008, 11:58 AM
proud to be a cat slave

Frenchy, I have Bell Express Vu too (also live in the boonies), and I know that you can get a second box for your other TV for just $3 a month.. not sure if that would be easier than your crazy contraptions! Then you'll have all the channels on the second TV.

I think you can get a connection for the second TV through your satellite, but you'll have to watch the same thing that's on the original TV.

Yeah, after a year or so, I'm pretty sure antennas aren't going to work anywhere - heaven forbid people get free TV anymore!

Jake - grey DSH (Aug '98) Alley - spazzy grey tabby (Aug '07)
Old April 21st, 2008, 12:04 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoozles View Post
Frenchy, I have Bell Express Vu too (also live in the boonies), and I know that you can get a second box for your other TV for just $3 a month..
Bell express vu won't get more money from me , not even $3.00 I have enough prolem with their invoice system
Old April 21st, 2008, 12:09 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
It's going to cost more to ship them here than to buy bunny ears but thank you. I will try the coat hanger thing , (after I strip the wood from it ) I know I know , use the metal ones
Frenchy, the coat hanger shouldnt be a problem.....just have Nelly chew the wood off like she does the wood around your windows!

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old April 21st, 2008, 12:12 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston View Post
Frenchy, the coat hanger shouldnt be a problem.....just have Nelly chew the wood off like she does the wood around your windows!

Cindy
Nelly would like you
Old April 21st, 2008, 02:55 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoozles View Post
Frenchy, I have Bell Express Vu too (also live in the boonies), and I know that you can get a second box for your other TV for just $3 a month.. not sure if that would be easier than your crazy contraptions! Then you'll have all the channels on the second TV.

I think you can get a connection for the second TV through your satellite, but you'll have to watch the same thing that's on the original TV.

Yeah, after a year or so, I'm pretty sure antennas aren't going to work anywhere - heaven forbid people get free TV anymore!
Digital will work now--all you need is a converter for your analog sets. It's about $80 for a box...and there are rebates being offered. Once you buy the box, digital channels will come in just like the analog channels will. If we ever get off our butts here and get our converter box, we'll go up from two analog channels to about 6 digital ones--maybe more depending on signal strength. So even after the changeover, if you have a digital TV or an analog TV with the converter, you'll still be getting 'free' TV.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 21st, 2008, 07:36 PM
-

It's working I took the antenna that was on my old radio system (shape like a "T" and made of plastic) and tried it on the TV I'm getting about 4-5 american channels + a couple more of the canadian ones , woohoo !
Old April 21st, 2008, 07:51 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Woo hoo! Now Nelly will have to eat the window frame instead!!

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old April 21st, 2008, 07:54 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston View Post
Woo hoo! Now Nelly will have to eat the window frame instead!!

Cindy
shuuutttt ! she has not been crated for the past 10 days and doing great
Old April 21st, 2008, 08:22 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Quote:
It's working I took the antenna that was on my old radio system (shape like a "T" and made of plastic) and tried it on the TV I'm getting about 4-5 american channels + a couple more of the canadian ones , woohoo !
You get 2-3 more American channels than hazel does... That's kinda !

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 21st, 2008, 08:30 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
You get 2-3 more American channels than hazel does... That's kinda !
You'll have to move here with the pack
Old April 21st, 2008, 09:06 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
You'll have to move here with the pack
And waste the rest of my life glued to your TV set, fascinated by the abundance of channels available!

Old April 21st, 2008, 09:10 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
And waste the rest of my life glued to your TV set, fascinated by the abundance of channels available!
wait till you try the TV in my living room (satellite) gazillion channels and nothing on

Actually , now that I know I can get a few channels with an EL CHEAPO antenna , I might cancel the satellite. I don't watch tv that much
Old April 21st, 2008, 09:15 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

When we moved out of the cable district and ended up with just the two channels, we barely missed cable. Hubby always used to laugh that when we first got cable we went from 5 channels of crap to 70+ channels of crap. So now, with just two, we're way ahead of the game!